Cadet Shipping Coordinator
- Employment type
- Full Time
- Mid Career
Cadet Shipping Coordinator
About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
The Cadet Shipping Coordinator serves as part of a team of professionals under the School of Maritime Education and Training, which provides education, guidance and service to students of SUNY Maritime College. The coordinator's primary responsibility is the placement of Cadets of a license-option program in an appropriate Cadet Shipping experience.
Supervise and coordinate daily activities at the College for Cadet Shipping Programs as needed, including but not limited to:
• Hold information sessions with Cadets
• Meet individually with Cadets throughout the Cadet Shipping process
• Process all required College and partnering company documentation for Cadets selected to participate in the program
• Organize the review process for cadets and their required documentation
• Liaison with academic departments and Regiment to establish cadets' eligibility to participate in cadet shipping
• Work closely with Health Services and Regiment to procure required documentation for Cadet Shipping requirements.
• Works with the Deck, Engineering, Registrar and Regimental Departments to ensure internal processes are followed and all required documentation, including completed assessments, sea service and other letters are produced timely and accurately
• Assist Limited License cadets get required sea time and documentation, including completed assessments, sea service and other letters from industry partners
• Track and monitor Cadets' progress throughout the program
• Maintains data on Cadet Shipping Program and produces reports upon request
• Build and maintain industry partnerships to include participation at industry events on and of campus
• Ensure EMBARC requirements are maintained and safety mechanisms in place exceed minimum standards
• Serve as Point of Contact (POC) for Cadets and partnering companies
• Collaborate as necessary with stakeholder departments such as academic departments, Registrar and Regiment
• Ensure that Cadet Shipping webpage and Porthole is accurate and relevant
• Tracking and Monitoring Sea Time of students participating in Cadet Shipping
• Supervise the Licensing Staff Assistant (shared with Licensing Coordinator) as needed
• Other duties as assigned
Assist the Licensing Coordinator as needed, including but not limited to:
• Assist cadets in license-option programs with the U.S. Coast Guard application process and perform final vetting on all applications for accuracy
• Input data into electronic databases to track cadet progress through license-track programs
• Assist with the administration of the USCG license exam when scheduled
• Assist Licensing Coordinator in transferring credentials to the cadets upon completion of all requirements
• Assist in maintaining hard-copy and digital files on all cadets in license-option programs
• Other duties assigned
• Bachelor's degree
• Experience working with college-aged students in a professional capacity
• Practical Industry experience
• Excellent oral, written and presentation skills
• Collaborative, self-directed, outcome-oriented, detail-oriented and ability to work well under time constraints
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite
• Possession of a valid Driver's License. Must have a motor vehicle record which is free from major violations or a pattern of repeat violation
• Possession or ability to obtain within three months of hire a Transportation Worker's Identification Card (TWIC)
• Ability to travel (occasionally overnight) to engage in networking events with industry and alumni Some evening and weekend work required
• Maritime Academy graduate from a license option program
• Crewing, dispatching experience
• Working knowledge of Regiment of Cadets
Classification/Salary Range: The cadet Shipping Coordinator is a UUP position. The anticipated salary range for the position is $60,773.00 to $70,000.00 annually, with an outstanding benefits package. For more information please see the UUP Benefits Summary. Review of applications to commence immediately and conclude when the position is filled.
Special Notes: This is a full-time calendar year appointment UUP Position. Fair Labor Standard Acts (FLSA) Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Budget Title: Staff Associate
Local Title: Cadet Shipping Coordinator
Line #: 00249
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Veterans/Disabled/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. For our full non-discrimination statement, see: http://www.sunymaritime.edu/affirmative-action.
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (718) 409-7305. It can also be viewed online by selecting University Police > Safety Information > Clery Safety Report (Annual Security & File Safety).
Persons interested in the above position should apply online. Please submit:
1. Cover letter
3. Statement addressing how past and/or potential contributions to diversity, equity, and inclusion will advance Maritime's commitment to inclusive excellence
4. Names and contact information of three professional references