MARINE OPERATIONS MANAGER
- Superintendent / Foreman
- Employment type
- Full Time
- General / Operations Manager
- B.S. or B.A. or higher degree in related field plus 10 years direct experience in marine management and the operation of a seagoing vessel at sea or shoreside.
- Experience as a ship's officer and seagoing experience highly preferred.
- Background that includes experience with managing vessel ISM, acting as Designated Person Ashore, and use of NS5 maintenance system are considered key skills for this position.
- Experience in oceanographic research programs and/or UNOLS (US Academic Research Fleet) association is also a plus.
- Position may require approximately 1 month per year at sea.
This position is based at Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory located in Palisades, NY (https://lamont.columbia.edu) . Reporting to the Director, Office of Marine Operations, the Marine Operations Manager is responsible for day-to-day ship operations of Columbia University’s latest research vessel, the R/V Marcus G. Langseth (https://lamont.columbia.edu/research-divisions/marine-large-programs/office-marine-operations) . This position includes responsibilities for the crew, budget, maintenance and regulatory compliance with ABS/USCG. R/V Marcus Langseth is a US-flagged vessel that is global ranging in its operations and is part of the US Academic Research Fleet under agreement with the US National Science Foundation.
- Apply Instructions
- Please apply by contacting Sean Higgins - email@example.com- for further details.
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University
Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory seeks fundamental knowledge about the origin, evolution, and future of the natural world. Our scientists study the planet from its deepest interior to the outer reaches of its atmosphere, on every continent and in every ocean, providing a rational basis for the difficult choices facing humanity. Lamont is the scientific research heart of the Columbia Climate School, which was founded in 2020 to develop and inspire knowledge-based solutions and educate future leaders for just and prosperous societies on a healthy planet. (www.ldeo.columbia.edu)
Founded in 1949
61 Rt 9W
Palisades, NY, 10964 United States