Ferry Engineering Supervisor
- Engineer / Naval Architect
- $72,172 - $137,456
- Employment type
- Full Time
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in engineering, and
- 5+ years of relevant experience, and
- 3+ years supervisory experience; or
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
How to ApplyYou MUST apply online at https://bit.ly/3lK6eUv by September 28, 2021 at Midnight EST to be considered.NCDOT is a Great Place to Work.Don't take our word for it. Read what our people are saying at https://bit.ly/NCDOTGreatPlaceToWork.We are the highest rated state agency for employee satisfaction on Glassdoor with 200 reviews.The ChallengeWe are looking for an experienced Marine Engineering Supervisor to join our leadership team in our Manns Harbor NC Shipyard. In this role you will oversee and coordinate all activities in vessel engineering, vertical and vessel contracting, and shipyard systems engineering.Vessel Engineering
Shipyard Systems Engineering
- Coordinate vessel designs/modifications (ferries, tugs, dredges, and barges) with the vessel asset management assistant director.
- Review and finalize engineering elements of vessel drawings/schematics and associated calculations with the vessel asset management assistant director.
- Supervise our Engineering Technician III and Engineer III (Marine Engineer) to advise, assign, and monitor tasks.
Contracts, Proposals and Construction Oversight
- Perform systems engineering for modernizing Shipyard systems and expand use of technology at the NCDOT Ferry Division Shipyard in Manns Harbor, NC.
- Supervise the Shipyard Planner to plan for vessels coming efficiently and effectively into the Shipyard for emergency repairs, inspections, Credit Dry Docks, or other reasons.
- Work with other Shipyard staff to effectively plan for staffing, inventory, and equipment needs.
- Identify technology solutions to further maximize our shipyards efficiencies.
Structural Maintenance of Marine Assets
- Supervise the Ferry Division Resident Engineer and lead project management activities for all contracted projects including vessel Capability Development Documents (CDD’s), vertical construction, new vessel construction, and other activities.
- Ensure Ferry contracts are customized appropriately for the marine industry.
- Manage contracts and projects in accordance with state regulations and guidelines.
- Deliver projects on time and within budget.
What You Bring
- Work with the Assistant Director of Marine Asset Management and the Dredge Superintendent to ensure that Ferry marine assets are kept at an acceptable service level to be used on a daily basis by Ferry Division Operations Staff.
- Manage the operation, maintenance, and rehabilitation of all Ferry Division ramps and gantries as well as the dolphins, bulkheads, channel markers, and other Ferry marine assets.
- Oversee contract work, including managing embedded personnel and Private Engineering Firms (PEF) designers to prepare designs, specifications, and proposals for contract award and administration of PEF personnel and contractors administering the contract work.
- Knowledge and ability to interpret professional engineering/techniques (NC building codes, state construction requirements, NCDOT construction standards, etc.), practices and procedures (State Construction Manual) NCDOT construction manual, organizational structure, and extraneous factors/implications.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret local, state, and federal rules/regulations for marine engineering work.
- Experience managing marine engineering teams that include employees and consultants.
- Experience managing complex engineering projects, ability to anticipate risks and resolve unusual problems.
- Communication skills the handle major/complex situations and actions engaging stakeholders within and outside NCDOT.
- Experience and engineering knowledge overseeing work on ramps and gantries and rehabilitations.
- Familiarity with all FHWA policies/procedures related to structural design and review in accordance with federal inventory requirements and reviews from inspection reports.
Questions?Call me: Alma Fountain at (252) 423-5125.Follow NCDOT Careers onTwitter: https://twitter.com/NCDOT_CareersFacebook: https://facebook.com/NCDOTcareersInstagram: https://instagram.com/ncdotcareersLinkedIn: https://linkedin.com/in/ncdot-careersSee all NCDOT jobs at: https://bit.ly/ncdotjobsSee all NCDOT Ferry Jobs at https://bit.ly/NCDOT_FerryJobs
- We may require registration as a professional engineer by the NC Board of Examiners for Engineers and Surveyors.
- Apply Instructions
You MUST apply at https://bit.ly/3lK6eUv to be considered?
NC Department of Transportation Ferry Division
We are leading the nation's move to smart transportation. With over 11,000 employees and an annual budget of $5.6B we are designing, managing, and innovating the state's highways, ferries, airports, railroads and bike/pedestrian paths. We have great people, great benefits, and great jobs. Join Us!
Founded in 1972
For general information about careers at: NC Department of Transportation Ferry Division contact
Workforce Development Specialist
1 S Wilmington St
Raleigh, NC, 27601 USA
1 S Wilmington St
Raleigh, NC, 27601 USA
Work Phone : (252) 423-5125
Hatteras, NC, 27943 US