Director of Engineering
- Engineer / Naval Architect
- Employment type
- Full Time
Serving as a global leader in composite boat manufacturing since 1957, Willard Marine, Inc. is a recognized pioneer in the design and construction of high performance boats. In the 1980s, Willard Marine expanded its line from recreational and commercial boats to include military, law enforcement and first responder vessels. With over 50 years of design, engineering and manufacturing experience, repeat customers include the US Navy, US Coast Guard, Homeland Security, NOAA, Law Enforcement Agencies and foreign governments alike. These discerning customers have relied upon Willard Marine for decades because we consistently design and build boats that perform adeptly in the most challenging conditions. Today, the US Navy has placed Willard Marine RIBs on almost every significant surface ship in its fleet.
Willard Marine is headquartered in Anaheim, California with additional facilities in Virginia Beach. Our bi-coastal manufacturing facilities and experienced staff ensure that Willard Marine's future reflects nothing less than our legacy of mission-proven boats since 1957.
Willard Marine is searching for a Director of Engineering to lead the Engineering team and grow their knowledge base, overall skillsets and contributions to the business. The Director of Engineering will report directly to the CEO and act as a key member of the Management Team, working collaboratively with directors of Operations, Manufacturing, Procurement, Sales, Marketing and Finance.
We are seeking an accomplished engineer to lead and coordinate activities of the Engineering Department within Commercial and Government markets. This person will lead and supervise project engineering, process engineering, estimating, product drawing and new product development. She/he will confer with management and production staff to determine engineering feasibility and cost efficiencies in order to lead performance excellence and continued growth.
- Manage a team of engineering professionals. Provide direction and mentorship towards developing engineered solutions that meet both functional and regulatory requirements and timelines.
- Ability to support the development of vessel arrangements and to perform feasibility and concept-level design of marine vessels, as well as detail design of specific portions of vessels or modifications.
- Supports Sales for various international and domestic solicitations.
- Ability to support the development of contract plans, specifications, and estimates for commercial and government projects.
- Ability to support the development of structural design and calculations for vessel construction and modification.
- Ability to perform trim and stability calculations for marine vessels using GHS or other software. Ability to generate vessel design and modification drawings using AutoCAD,
- Solidworks, Rhino or other software to support design, modifications, design studies, and contract drawings.
- General understanding of U.S. Coast Guard and marine classification society rules and regulatory requirements in the U.S. and abroad
- Excellent communication skills with clients, internal team and other staff.
- General knowledge of a wide range of commercial and military vessels.
- Strong problem-solving skills to help resolve business issues.
- Review completed construction drawings and cost estimates for accuracy and conformity to standards and regulations.
- Explain drawings to production or construction teams and provide adjustments as necessary.
- Write technical reports and draw charts that display statistics and data.
- Prepare, or direct the preparation of, product or system layouts and detailed drawings and schematics.
- Minimum 8-10 years’ experience in Engineering work focused primarily in naval architecture and marine engineering, including structural design and analysis, stability analysis, vessel modification and regulatory analysis and other naval architecture and engineering services.
- Proficiency in CAD, Rhino, SolidWorks and Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint, Project is required.
- Anaheim, CA Preferred
At Willard, great ideas have a way of becoming great products and services. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. In this highly visible role, and as part of a highly talented team, the Director of Engineering is at the heart of the vessel design effort, often critical to winning new business and repeat business from existing customers.
Willard Marine offers an exciting and supportive business environment where we develop our people and reward their contributions. We work with openness and integrity. Salary and a competitive benefits package are commensurate with experience.
- Apply Instructions
- If interested, please submit your resume to email@example.com.