- Employment type
- Full Time
- Mid Career
The Assistant Cook is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, in contested or uncontested environments.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Incumbent is directly responsible to assist the Chief Cook in the efficient operation of the galley/kitchen as assigned. Assist in the preparation and production of menu items as directed, using progressive cooking techniques, healthy heart guidelines and approved recipes and instruction. (This includes food presentation in accordance with Armed Forces Recipe Service (AFRS) and local recipes, and following instructions on the NAVSUP 1090). Assists with inventorying galley equipment and utensils, reporting discrepancies to the Chief Cook. Demonstrates proficiency in the use of all equipment located in the galley and food service areas and be proficient in its operation and safe handling. Adhere to all principles of safety, sanitation procedures; including procedures for thawing frozen foods, storing leftovers and unused products, product shelf life; and standards of personal hygiene.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- MMC endorsed as: Ordinary Seaman, Wiper or Stewards Department (FH) AND USCG Medical Certificate (w/o limitations/restrictions on Food Handling).
AND Must have at least six months specialized experience. Specialized experience includes assisting in the preparation and production of menu items and inventorying galley equipment and utensils. Must have related experience in at least one of the following areas:
a. Six Months (6 Months) of cumulative service as a CIVMAR Temporary Assistant Cook or a Supply Utilityman that has MSC Salad Utilityman experience. The six months Temporary Assistant Cook or Supply Utilityman must have been within five years from closing date of this announcement. The candidate may exceed this five year requirement if continuously employed in a food service capacity.
(1) Must have successfully completed Introduction to Food Service course. AND either one of the following:
(a) Current U.S. Armed Forces Food Safety/Sanitation Supervisor, OR (b) Current Annual 4 hour Sanitation Course.
b. Previous U.S. military experience in Culinary Pay grade E-3 or above with at least one Culinary tour of not less than 6 months in a Food Production Capacity.
U.S. military service must have recency within the past five years from closing date of this announcement. The candidate may exceed this five year requirement if continuously employed in a food service capacity. Must have successfully completed the following courses:
(1) U.S. Military Service Food Production Course. AND either one of the following: (a) Current U.S. Armed Forces Food Safety/Sanitation Supervisor, OR (b) Current Annual 4 Hour Sanitation Course.
c. A current Certification as a Certified Culinarian or higher from the American Culinary Federation (ACF).
d. Graduate of an accredited culinary academy/school and has completed Serv-Safe Principles.
e. Commercial cooking experience of at least six months and has completed Serv-Safe Principles.
(*)Commercial Experience must be on official letter head, form, or evaluation from current or previous employer that describes experience related to these duties. Document must include company name, applicant’s name, and name with signature of company/agency official.
- Apply Instructions
How to Apply: All applications for employment with Military Sealift Command must be submitted through www.sealiftcommand.com/start-the-process.
To begin the process you must submit an Information Request Form (IRF).
Your IRF submission will create a secure online profile after which you will receive an email to verify your account. Once verified, you will be able to complete the application process. Applications for this position can only be submitted during the announcement open period (Eastern Standard Time). Please note the email address you create will be used by the Command to correspond with you.
In addition to meeting the minimum conditions of employment, you will be required to scan and upload .jpg or .pdf files of the following documents:
1. Front and back of United States Coast Guard Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), United States Coast Guard license, and/or STCW certificate, and U.S. Passport.
2. Relevant professional certificates as applicable for this position i.e. American Culinary Federation (ACF), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Universal, Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS), Security Plus, etc.
3. If you are a current or former federal government employee, a copy of your most recent Notice of Personnel Action (SF-50).
4. If you served in the U.S. military service, you must provide a copy of your Certificate of Discharge (DD-214) that shows the type of discharge you received. This information is located under the “Character of Service” block of your DD-214. If you are claiming 10 points or higher veteran’s preference you must provide supporting documentation such as a completed Application for Preference (SF-15) www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf. Additional information on veteran’s preference is available at http://www.fedshirevets.gov/. You will also be required to provide a copy of the VA Rating Decisions upon accepting the tentative offer of employment.
5. Last five (5) years of performance evaluations (if available) and training certificates applicable to the position you are applying for.
6. Job related honors, awards, and special accomplishments; for example, military, government or recognized professional organizations related to the maritime field and performance awards.
You will be able to upload and store versions of these documents in your secure online profile. NOTE: It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the documents scanned and uploaded are legible. You have the ability to crop and view each document that is uploaded.
You will not be able to submit an application unless you have uploaded the required documentation as indicated here.
Applicants may be interviewed prior to being selected for employment.
How To Contact Us: If you require technical support, please use the support tab located in the top right corner of the Start the Process page www.sealiftcommand.com/start-the-process. This will generate an email a message for you to submit your issue. Emails will be responded to during business hours M-F 0800 – 1700 CST.
If you have any questions regarding the position or to follow up on an application submitted, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (757) 341-4610 or (757) 341-4611, or our toll-free recruitment hotline at 1-877-562-7672 during the hours of 0700 to 2000 EST.
NOTE: FAILURE TO PROVIDE REQUIRED INFORMATION REQUESTED FOR THIS POSITION WILL ADVERSELY AFFECT YOUR ELIGIBILITY.
Federal job applicants who make a false statement in any part of the application could be turned down for the job, fired after beginning work, or subject to fine, imprisonment (U.S. Code, Title 18, Section 1001), or other disciplinary action.
Employment of Federal Civilian Annuitants: Selection of CIVMAR annuitants for MSC positions must be approved by the Director for Civilian Human Resources. Annuitants serve at the will of the appointing officer.
Benefits Information: In accordance with section 9902(h) of title 5, United States Code, annuitants reemployed in the Department of Defense shall receive full annuity and salary upon appointment. They shall not be eligible for retirement contributions, participation in the Thrift Savings Plan, or a supplemental or re-determined annuity for the reemployed period. Discontinued service retirement annuitants (i.e., retired under section 8336(d)(1) or 8414(b)(1)(A) of title 5, United Stated Code) appointed to the Department of Defense may elect to be subject to retirement provisions of the new appointment as appropriate. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives.)
Annuitants are not eligible for recruitment and retention incentives.
YOU MAY NOT BE HIRED IF YOU FAIL TO REPORT:
1. Previous security clearance issues (intents to deny or the revocation of security clearances).
3. Previous felony convictions where actual time was served in jail for more than one (1) year.
Any questions relative to this issue should be directed to the CIVMAR Support Center at 866-562-7672.
MILITARY SEALIFT COMMAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
All applicants meeting minimum qualifications will receive consideration without regard to age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, lawful political affiliation, non-disqualifying disability, marital status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or other personal condition unrelated to the applicant’s basic ability to perform satisfactorily. Please visit www.msc.navy.mil/civmar/eeo.htm for more information. Determinations of whether an accommodation is appropriate shall be made by the agency as soon practicable, after the initial application process and shall be made with regard to all applicable statutes and regulations. If assistance is required to complete the application process, interested applicants should call our CIVMAR Support Center at the above number and refer to the “How to Apply” section of this announcement.