- Shipboard Officer / Personnel / Crew
- Employment type
- Full Time
- Mid Career
The Cook Baker is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, in contested or uncontested environments.
The Cook Baker is responsible for the timely preparation and production of all bakery items. Incumbent is responsible for the cleanliness and maintenance of the bakeshop and associated areas and in the efficient overall operation of the galley/kitchen. Incumbent shall assist the Chief Cook and perform the following duties:
BAKERY PRODUCTION: Prepare all bakery items in accordance with the daily production sheet (NAVSUP 1090), utilizing the MSC 35 day cycle menu or locally approved recipes as directed by supervisor(s).
FOOD SERVICE EQUIPMENT OPERATION: Carefully inspect all baking equipment prior to use and report to the Chief Cook any necessary repairs and replacements of baking equipment and utensils. Assists in taking inventory of galley equipment and utensils, adhere to all principles of safety and report any accidents immediately.
SANITATION AND SAFETY: Carefully inspect all ingredients prior to use. Ensure subsistence items, supplies and equipment are maintained in a neat, orderly and sanitary manner.
Assist in the proper care of perishable leftovers and in wrapping, labeling and refrigerating all usable leftovers and unused provisions.
Assist in the cleaning and upkeep of the bakery areas and equipment; disposal of trash and garbage in accordance with environmental regulations; and cleaning and sanitizing garbage containers, lining them with plastic bags and covering when not in use.
Adhere to all sanitation procedures and personal hygiene standards IAW NAVMED P-5010. Ensure continuing application of and compliance with Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) laws, regulations and policies.
REQUISITIONING OF ITEMS: Requisition and receive all bakery items needed for the daily preparation of the bakery menu products and ensure that all items are properly recorded and stored.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months remaining of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten months remaining from expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
- USCG Medical Certificate (w/o limitations/restrictions on Food Handling).
Position Specific Requirements:
- MMC endorsed as: Ordinary Seaman, Wiper or Stewards Department (FH)
AND Specialized experience. Specialized experience is defined as possessing at least one of the following: Must have at least one of the following specialized experience. (Specialized experience is defined as possessing the following)
- One year (12 months) of cumulative service as a CIVMAR permanent MSC Second Cook or Temporary MSC Cook/Baker. The one year of permanent Second Cook or Temporary Cook/Baker must have been within the past five years from closing date of this announcement. The candidate may exceed this five year requirement if continuously employed in a food service capacity. AND Successful completion of the MSC Baking Techniques course. PLUS one of the following:
- Current U.S. Armed Forces Food Safety/Sanitation Supervisor Course,
- Current Annual 4-hour Sanitation course.
OR Previous U.S. military experience in Culinary (Pay grade E-5 or above) with at least one Culinary tour of not less than 12 months in a Bakery Production Capacity. Military Service must be within the past five years from closing date of this announcement. The candidate may exceed this five year requirement if continuously employed in a food service capacity. AND Successful completion of the U.S. Military Service Food Production Course.
AND either one of the following courses: *Current U.S. Armed Forces Food Safety/Sanitation Supervisor Course OR Current Annual 4-hour Sanitation course.
OR Current Certification as a Certified Working Pastry Chef or higher from the American Culinary Federation (ACF).
OR Commercial baking experience of at least one year (documented) and current annual 4 hour sanitation training.
OR A graduate of an accredited culinary academy/school and has completed Serv-Safe sanitation principles.
NOTE: Documented Experience must be on official letter head, form, or evaluation from current or previous employer that describes experience related to these duties. Document must include company name, applicant’s name, and name with signature of company/agency official.
Related MSC, military, and/or commercial experience, etc., will also be part of the rating process.
- Apply Instructions
- How to Apply: All applications for employment with Military Sealift Command must be submitted through https://apply.sealiftcommand.com/