Looking to work for a quality ship management or ship owning company. Last position held was TECHNICAL DIRECTOR in Accord Ship Management Pvt.Ltd. Mumbai. The company changed hands and hence looking for fresh opportunity to contribute constructively in running a Quality Ship Management Company.
SHORE WORK EXPERIENCE
• 1992 – 1993 with Barber Canadian Pacific Ship Management, London
Worked as Superintendent. Type of vessels managed – Tankers.
• 1993 - till November 2009 with Accord Ship Management Pvt. Ltd., Mumbai.
1993 – 1997 worked as Technical Superintendent for managing tankers and bulk carriers.
Duties involved : -
- Direct responsibility for the safe and efficient operation of the vessels assigned.
- Liaise with the manning office for continuous, efficient manning of the vessels;
- Prepare operational budget and vessel performance/budget follow up reports.
- Ensure compliance with requirements of the ship management agreement;
- Ensure compliance with certification requirements of class and flag state;
- Setting maintenance standards and performance criteria for vessel in conjunction with shipboard management. Closely follow up on vessel’s planned maintenance system;
- Carry out pre-purchase inspections as required from time to time.
During this period was directly responsible for conversion of a gearless Panamax bulk carrier to a trans-shipper. This involved installation of 3 gantry type traveling cranes, 2 gantry conveyor loaders and one additional new genset.
1997 – 1998 Apart from duties as Technical Superintendent, was given additional responsibility of Superintendent (Quality Assurance)
- Was fully responsible for setting up the safety and quality management system of the company
including subsidiary company Accord Manning Services) to ensure compliance with ISM and ISO standards.
- Performed duties of Designated Person Ashore and Management representative. Duties involved ensuring compliance with regard to the standards of safety on board, emergency procedures, contingency plans, environmental protection procedures, bridge/deck and engine room procedures, planned maintenance procedures, onboard training, compliance with standing / issued instructions, circulars, etc;
1999 Promoted to Senior Superintendent. Duties involved all aspects of the functions / job description of the Technical Superintendent and Q.A. Superintendent and additional responsibility to:
- monitor the activities of all Superintendents and coordinate for satisfactory results towards the ship’s management;
- establish and maintain liaison with clients towards fulfillment of the management agreement;
- provide assistance to clients during purchase and sale of vessels, as required;
- familiarize with upcoming rules and regulations as relevant and implement fleet-wide as appropriate;
2001 Promoted to Fleet Manager reporting directly to M.D.
- Overall responsibility for safe and efficient operation of all vessels managed by company.
- Handle special projects.
- Purchase rate contracts with suppliers.
- Authorization of all purchased products and services.
2003 Promoted to General Manager for Accord Ship Management Pvt. Ltd. and subsidiary Manning company. In addition to duties of Fleet manager other responsibilities involved:
- Overall responsibility for all operations of the company.
- Customer liaison to ensure all requirements are being complied with.
- Selection of suppliers, their development and performance analysis.
- Recruiting shore staff
- Identifying and planning for training of shore staff.
- Motivating managers to timely and correct decisions at site - with five technical superintendents, one QA superintendent, one personnel superintendent and accounts manager reporting.
2005 Appointed as Technical Director cum General Manager with Accord Ship Management Pvt. Ltd, Mumbai with resposibility and authority to handle all operations of the company.
• 1977 – 1988 with Shipping Corporation of India.
Joined Shipping Corp. of India in 1977 as Fifth Engineer. Promoted to Chief Engineer in 1985. Type of vessels sailed on – Tankers, Bulk Carrier, General Cargo Ships, Passenger Ship.
• 1988 – 1992 with Barber Ship Management.
Worked as Chief Engineer. Type of vessels sailed on – Tankers, Product tankers, Bulk Carrier, OBO, Forest Product carrier.
• Senior Cambridge from St.Joseph’s Academy, Dehra Dun
• Graduate in Marine Engineering - Directorate of Marine Engineering Training (DMET), Kolkata
• First Class Engineer (motor) Certificate of Competency issued by Government of India in 1982.
• Shipping Management course conducted by IIM Ahmedabad.
• Lloyd’s Register Certified Internal Auditor for International Safety Management System.
• DPA training course conducted by GL & Anglo Eastern
• Marine Insurance course conducted by MTI (SCI) Powai
• Marine control engineering course conducted by MTI (SCI) Powai.
• Member of the Institute of Engineers,
• Fellow of the Institute of Marine Engineers
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
• Vessel management contracts, vessel operation budget setting and cost management.
• Vessel operations in International water.
• Setting up of shipboard planned maintenance systems.
• International Flag state rules and regulations.
• Dry docking and repairs – experience with major ship yards and repair companies worldwide. Have attended numerous dockings at all major Chinese Shipyards. Price and Bill negotiaton with Chinese yards is my Forte.
• Pre-purchase inspections, vessel acquisition and sale.
• Insurance and claims handling.
• Liaison with Flag state and Classification societies.
• Conversions & upgradation projects
• Experience with multi national crew – Indian, Chinese, Filipino, Balgladeshi, Indonesian, Myanmar, East European and Italian
• Overseeing crew selection and ensuring compliance with contracts
• Manning contracts
Safety and quality management
• Setting up and implementation of safety management system onboard vessel and shore based management and manning centre.
• Implementation of ISO Quality Assurance standards
• ISO & ISM Audits
Project Planning & Contract Management
• Experience in vessel conversion and retrofitting. Project development, tenders, project execution & commissioning.
• Preparing contract budgets & ensuring that the same is not exceeded.
Purchase & Contracts
• Purchase of stores, spares, equipments and services.
• Vendor selection, development and performance analysis.
• Rate contracts negotiation and finalization
Good communication skills with ability for interact and deal with people honestly and in a transparent manner.
Professionalism, high degree of integrity & loyalty, Ability to perform under difficult and challenging circumstances.
Motivate and instill discipline and dedication and bring out the best of subordinates.
Proven ability to take initiative, work independently and adapt to change.
Aptitude for working in team environment.
PROFICIENCY IN COMPUTERS
I am sufficiently proficient in the use of MS word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Project, Email and the Internet as important contemporary professional tools.
Playing Badminton and Table tennis, Reading, Watching Sports on TV and traveling.
Available if required.