- Purchasing / Specification Manager
LAND BASED EXPERIENCE
Consultant – Marine Technical Zebec Marine Consultants & Services Pvt Ltd, Mumbai 2013 – 2015
WORK DONE DETAILS:
MARINE ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONICS
PROJECT 1: Automated Electric and Electronic Control System Integration on a Ship (Panamax Bulk Carrier)
The requirement was to design an electrical and electronic based automated control system to operate a custom made, complex sail system proposed to be installed onto a ship. The design of the system was required to be endorsed by the Classification Society.
- Ensured thorough understanding of the work scope.
- Implemented a comprehensive work plan.
- Managed relationship with Contractor throughout the project development and execution stage.
- Critically evaluated Control System logic flow chart with the Contractor.
- Validated Electrical Schematic drawings, Parts List, Terminal Charts, Cable Schedules and Final Report.
Project planning, Contractor Management, Technical Competence (Marine Electrical and Electronics Systems) - Detailed understanding of Ship based Electrical and Electronic systems, Programmable Logic Controllers, Sensors, Classification Society Rules and Regulations on Installation and Commissioning of Electrical and Electronics devices, IEC standards.
PROJECT 2: Electrical Load Analysis and Electrical Plan Approval for Merchant Ships
The requirement was to review Electrical Plans and Electrical Load Analysis performed by Ship Designers.
- Reviewed various ship based Electrical system drawings (Main Switchboard, Emergency Switchboard, Group Starter Panels, Transformers, Normal Lighting System, and Emergency Lighting System) according to the Classification Society rules and International Conventions (IEC, SOLAS).
- Critically analysed Electrical Load requirements for the intended Ship Type.
- Prepared Electrical Load Analysis calculations.
Knowledge of Ship based Electrical System drawings, Proficiency in reviewing Technical specifications of Marine Electrical Equipment Makers.
MARINE ENGINEERING / CONTRACTS / TECHNICAL
PROJECT 1: New Building (Ship) Project Management
Pre Contract – Shipyard evaluation and selection, Technical Ship building contract review, Technical Specification Review, Equipment Package Review
Post Contract – Drawing Process Review
- Evaluated various Ship building yards by focusing on Building capability, Organization and management, Production facilities, financial position and Shipyard location.
- Reviewed Definitions of the Vessel, Description and Class.
- Reviewed specifications of Ship board equipments basis Trading Area of Vessel, Equipment Maker, Serviceability, and Ship Yard Experience, Installation representation, Dockings / Spares and recommending to Owners.
Awareness of Ship Building Yard facilities’ location, organization and financial condition, Extensive Vendor Coordination Skills in obtaining the costs and technical specifications of Marine Equipments, Ability to analyze various Marine equipments suppliers’ quotations and perform a comparative analysis.
PROJECT 2: Dry Docking Superintending Assistance
The requirement was to make a practical and detailed ship repair specification, to distinguish between “must be done” and “nice to be done” jobs at the dry dock, to bring in the right expertise for the job; to focus on sanctioned budgets and cost control with timely and swift decision making at repair site
- Pre Docking – Developed Repair specification, Repair yard cost comparison, Repair yard selection, Repair contract review.
- Docking Supervision – Monitored Machinery Overhauls, Resolved Electrical Systems issues, Reported daily work done status to technical superintendents of the vessel.
- Post Docking – Analyzed all expenses at dry dock and calculated savings.
- Prepared Final Dry Docking Report.
Preparation of Repair Specification, Comparison of costs
PROJECT 3: Damage assessment, Repair Work Supervision for a Mooring Launch
Monitoring and supervision of a marine insurance claim related repair work under Protection & Indemnity Cover for a mooring launch owned by government body.
- Conducted Initial damage assessment inspection for the launch post its haulage on the dry dock.
- Convinced the government authorities and short listed a suitable contractor for performing the repairs onto the launch.
- Monitored and surveyed the daily work progress of repair work (fabrication of propeller shaft, fabrication of rudder stock, renewal of hydraulic steering unit and associated operating mechanisms) on the craft on behalf of the P&I Club.
- Devised work plans in order to complete the works within the allotted schedule.
- Completed the repair work successfully to the satisfaction of government authorities.
- Prepared detailed project report and submitted to P&I Club.
Technical aptitude on Marine related mechanical systems used on ships, Knowledge about selection of ship based fabricating workshops, Understanding about repair work planning and execution, Ability to communicate and if necessary, convince personnel in government departments at various ranks, Managing contractors and resolve disputes, if any, between the contracted party and the client.
PROJECT 4: Single Point Mooring Solution
Preparation of a proposal for a 100% designed and constructed, fully financed, multi-user, multi-fuel, open access, fuel import infrastructure that will assist in facilitating regional trade growth for an International Port
- Prepared upstream and downstream process flow chart for transportation of liquid fuel (Diesel and Petrol) from Single Point Mooring buoys to the tank farms.
- Estimated the upstream pipe dimensions from the Tanker to the Terminal by calculating liquid flow through subsea and land based piping and valves.
- Liaised with Vendors (Centrifugal Pump Manufacturers, SPM fabricators, SPM Floating Hose, SPM Hawser Suppliers) in obtaining the technical specifications for the required equipments.
- Prepared Budget calculations for Buoy Tender Vessel and SPM.
Technical aptitude on Ship (Oil Tankers) based cargo systems (Technical Specs of Cargo Oil Pumps, Cargo Manifold sizes) used on ships, Understanding and ability to do flow calculations on long distance Oil pipelines, Knowledge about Working of Single Point Mooring Systems.
MARINE MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS
PROJECT 1: Development of Management systems
Preparation of Management system for a client (shipping company)
- Identified, recorded and analyzed gaps on the existing management system of the client company.
- Performed Deficiency assessment of the operational activities of the company with respect to International rules and regulations / standards.
- Prepared company’s goals and developed Key Performance Indicators.
- Framed Organizational structure for the Client Company.
- Prepared detailed Tasks / Procedures, Forms and Checklists for the day to day field operations of the Company.
Proposal preparation, Client negotiations, Project Planning, Project Monitoring and Progress Tracking, Understanding client requirements, addressing client queries, Project phase out and delivery
SEA BASED EXPERIENCE
Third Engineer Officer Anglo Eastern Ship Mgmt Pvt Ltd, Mumbai 2010 - 2012
WORK DONE DETAILS:
- Experience in the rank of an “Independent Engineer Officer of Watch” where in the responsibility was to make sure that all parameters of the ship’s main propulsion system and auxiliary systems are at the normal level.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the main and auxiliary power generating plants for Aframax Tankers.
- Experience in cargo loading and discharging operations involving ship to ship transfer (STS) and ship to shore transfer with a cargo value of around $1.1 million.
- Experience in carrying out critical operations like bunkering which involved following company best practices thereby mitigating various risks involved in the operation.
- Responsible for Inventory management for the critical machineries (Main Generators, Fresh Water Generator, Multi stage compressors, etc.) of a ship.
- Efficiently managed inspections and surveys conducted by International Port State Control inspectors and Global Oil Majors respectively.
- Effectively communicated and utilized interpersonal skills while working with multinational crew thereby addressing and proposing solutions to various issues involving safety and security onboard oil tankers.
- Formulated dynamic work plans by closely liaising with other departments in accordance with company’s policy.
- Saved $2000/day of bunker fuel oil cost for the company by following best company practices for machinery and crew management and also bringing down fuel oil consumption of the main generators of a ship to nearly 3 T/day.
- Saved port dues worth $15000 for an Aframax Crude Oil Tanker by timely rectification of a cargo plant shutdown in the midst of cargo discharge operations.
Operations, Maintenance, Inventory Management, Customs Inspections, Quality Reviews, Planning, Problem Solving
Electrical Officer Anglo Eastern Ship Mgmt Pvt Ltd, Great Eastern Shipping Company, Fleet Mgmt Pvt Ltd 2005 – 2009
WORK DONE DETAILS:
- In charge of Inventory Management for Electrical Power Generating Machineries, Electrical Distribution Systems and various other auxiliary electrical equipments on board Aframax Tankers.
- Rectified a critical issue in the Boiler Control System which halted cargo discharge operations in one of the major port of call for the ship. The resultant savings for the company amounted to around 20,000 USD.
- Solved a problem of Main Engine breakdown at the high seas which happened before the ship (Aframax Crude Oil Tanker) was about to reach a US port and thereby saved USD15,000 for the company.
Inventory Management, Concern Resolution, Electrical and Electronic systems and equipment maintenance
Programmable Logic Controllers, Auto Cad, MS Office Suite
English, Hindi, Tamil
- Post Graduate Diploma in Infrastructure Management, Class of 2013
Adani Institute of Infrastructure Management, Ahmadabad, India
- Marine Engineer’s Certificate of Competency (MEC-3), Class of 2010
Manukau Institute of Technology, Auckland, NZ
- Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical and Electronics, Class of 2004
R.M.K Engineering College, Madras University, Tamil Nadu, India