To work for a company engaged in activities suiting my profile where i could get a challenging role to demonstrate my skills and capabilities which can bring high profitability and enhance the company,s market reputation.
Ecosoil GCC L.L.C
A leading multinational group from Germany specializing in ground improvement, waste mgt and logistics
Chief Operating Officer (Shipping, Logistics & Transport) April 2008–Present
• Set up and directed the entire operations of the shipping, transport and logistics division of the company for supplying rock, aggregate and other building materials.
Fujairah Bulk Shipping LLC 2006–2008 A joint venture with Pacific Basin, Hong Kong and Government of Fujairah
General Manager - Rock & aggregate production, trucking & logistics, terminal operations, stevedoring, shipping, and rock material exports company.
Responsibilities included managing a rock terminal operation, tug/barge sourcing & shipping operations, business development, commercial activities including bidding, contract negotiations, purchasing, coordination, & control of logistic operations
• Secured high value rock & aggregate export orders, which translated into high profitability margins
• Planned and overseen building of loading jetties, procurement of stevedoring equipments and setting up a rock export terminal for tug & barge operations.
Al Hamra Shipping & Ship Maintenance LLC 2003 – 2006
Al Jazeera Port, Ras Al Khaimah, UAE
Marketing & Commercial Manager – Seaport, Shipping and Ship Repair / Maintenance Company
Responsibilities included marketing, business development and all commercial functions for the Port and Shipping Company; exploring business opportunities, submitting tenders/bids/quotes, negotiating and securing contracts, invoicing, project feasibility studies, monitoring, coordination & administration of projects and contracts, preparation of business plans, procurements, publicity and promotions.
• Participated in designing, building & setting up a new seaport and ship repair yard in Ras Al Khaimah including construction of quays, shiplift and transfer system, refurbishment of floating dock and cargo handling facilities. Established Al Jazeera Port as one of the fastest growing ports in UAE.
• Secured high value cargo handling, loading & sea transportation and chartering contracts for over AED 100.00 million in three years with high margins and profitability.
• Secured major ship repair and maintenance contracts for over AED 10 millions.
• Participated in designing and implementing the ERP system for the port exponentially expanded ship chartering activities.
• Participated in bidding, negotiating and finalizing major contracts.
A.A Turki Group 2000-2003
Ports Management &Marine Services Division, Dammam, Saudi Arabia
A leading corporate group of Saudi Arabia with multinational operations
General Manager – ATCO Ports Management & Marine Services 2002-2003
Manager Operations, Marketing & Business Development – ATCO Marine 2000-2002
Responsibilities included develop new business, diversify and expand company activities, implement marketing strategies, direct marine operations, implement & supervise new shipbuilding programs, port operations & management major conversion & refit projects, tender bidding, marine equipment sourcing and purchasing, vessel chartering and contract administration.
• Secured seven long and eight short-term marine charter contracts valuing over 50 million US Dollars
• Achieved significant growth in profit margins.
• Coordinated project scheduling and overseen construction of one security boat built by NKK Corporation, Japan and one crew utility boat in India.
• Researched shipyards globally, finalized build specifications, negotiated contract and placed order for construction of nine harbor tugs.
• Marketed and established brand image of Atco Marine in Middle East.
• Set up a complete procurement system for quick sourcing of marine vessels and equipment purchases through global sources.
• Increased long-term charter contracts from 6 vessels to 17 vessels increasing the fleet utilization from 50% to 90% within two years
Al Turki Group, Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia 1998–2000
A leading corporate group of Saudi Arabia with diversified business interests
General Manger – INMA Fine Arts and Distribution Company
Responsible for entire business operations including P & L, strategic planning, sales & marketing, and management of retail stores & distribution network
• Increased sales outlets by 300% and established an effective nation wise sales & distribution network.
• Prepared business & marketing plans, annual budgets & operational procedures & incentive programs.
• Reduced operating costs by 30% and improved gross margins by 20%
OMEACA Ltd. (Orbcomm) Middle East & Central Asia), Saudi Arabia 1999-2000
Wireless Telecom Company providing narrow band two-way digital messaging, data communication & geo-positioning services on global basis.
Territory & Business Development Manager - Middle East and Central Asia
• Carried out country assessments, identified & assessed potential business partners/in-country representatives, prepared country reports
DEMPO Group of Companies, Goa, India 1994-1998
A leading business house of India with diversified business interests
General Manager – Dempo Shipyard
Integrated cross-functional responsibilities synthesizing all business operations of the shipyard towards improved turnover and profitability.
• Spearheaded the build program of two jack-up platforms, four mini bulk carriers, two iron ore barges and numerous repairs/conversions projects.
• Orchestrated a complete turnaround of a closed shipyard, streamlined operations, implemented marketing and business development strategies, formulated techno-commercial, quality assurance & manufacturing procedures towards improved performance and productivity.
• Increased sales by 400% achieving 300% increase in profitability.
• Prepared business plan for a new ship-breaking yard with Japanese partners.
INDIAN NAVY, New Delhi India 1973-1994
Served as a commissioned officer in the Engineering Branch, Corps of Naval Constructors, responsible for research, design, construction, repair and maintenance of warships, submarines and support vehicles.
Officer- in –Charge - Warship Inspections and Trials Authority 1993-1994
Reported to Chief Staff Officer (Technical), HQ Western Naval Command, Bombay
• Responsible for Quality Assurance, Inspections, Tests, Trials, upkeep and maintenance of warships and submarines.
• Instituted new measures to achieve optimum quality standards and high maintenance/upkeep level for naval ships and submarines.
Senior Naval Constructor Overseer - Warship Overseeing Team 1988-1993
Reported to Warship Production Superintendent, HQ Western Naval Command, Bombay
• Responsible for project management, overseeing, inspections, survey, supervision, quality assurance, tests, trials, and commissioning of warships.
• Overseen the design and construction of a new series of 6000 tons displacement destroyers, corvettes, and fast missile boats for the Indian Navy.
• Ensured high level of quality assurance, assisted shipyard in resolving first of the series design and construction problems and achieving timely deliveries.
• Formulated norms, quality standards and instituted computerized project management techniques.
• Coordinated first major refit of an aircraft carrier in Cochin Shipyard.
• Achieved significant project cost reductions through price negotiations, optimized design and building solutions and close technical and cost scrutiny
Deputy Director Naval Designs - Naval Design Bureau 1984-1988
Reported to Director General Naval Designs, New Delhi
• Responsible for Warship designs, preparation and approval of drawings, specifications and contract documents, techno-commercial negotiations, project scheduling & management, technology transfer and superintendence.
• Designed and coordinated the construction of the first indigenous series of corvettes for the Indian Navy. Carried out concept / preliminary design for future warship projects.
Officer in charge Naval Construction Wing, Department of Applied Mechanics 1982-1984
Indian Institute of Technology, New Delhi
• Faculty member teaching masters degree program in Naval Architecture and Warship design/construction
Assistant Director Ship Production - Naval Head Quarters 1978-1982
• Responsible for project management, design, and coordination of warship building projects in commercial shipyards under naval supervision.
• Coordinated building of frigates in Mazagon Docks, Bombay
Asst Manager Fabrication & Outfitting, Naval Dockyard, Bombay 1975-1978
• Led repair teams to carry out major repairs, conversions, retrofits of warships, submarines and auxiliary support vessels.
• Managed the operations of steel fabrication and welding shops.
• Dry-docked ships & submarine, supervised underwater repairs & maintenance
• Commissioned new steel fabrication and outfit facilities in Naval Dockyard
1992 - 93 Naval Higher Command Course
Staff College, Wellingdon, India
1990-1991 Diploma in Computer Management
Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Bombay, India
1968-1973 Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)
Maulana Azad College of Technology, Bhopal, India
1973-1975 DIIT Naval Construction
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India
1979-1982 Master of Naval Sciences
Admiral Kuznetsov Naval Academy St Petersburg, Russia
• Qualified Interpreter and Translator of Russian/English languages
• Diploma Military Interpretership Russian/ English from Admiral Kuznetsov Naval Academy, St Petersburg, Russia
• Advanced Diploma in Russian from School of Foreign languages, New Delhi
• Fluent in English, Urdu, Hindi & possess working knowledge of Arabic.
Fello Institution of Naval Architects
• Accomplished professional with over 36 years of diversified experience in increasingly responsible engineering, operations, & management positions. Demonstrated ability in executive management (P&L), project, operations, contracts, & commercial management.
• Over ten years of experience in operations, marketing & business development of oil field marine support services, port management & terminal operations, chartering, sale & purchase of marine vessels
• Extensive hands on experience in the acquisition, design, construction, repairs, maintenance, up gradations, conversion of warships, submarines, coastal & inland water vessels, tugs, barges, offshore support vessels,
• Thorough knowledge & hands on experience in rock & aggregate business including procurements, logistics, stevedoring, & shipping.
• Consistently successful in instituting successful turn-around, directing operations of companies towards achievement of bottom-line profitability & rapid growth.
• Proven record of accomplishment of accomplishment in steering & managing complex & high value projects from concept to commissioning.