Ship's Doctor for the Summer Sea Term 2019
- Shipboard Officer / Personnel / Crew
- Employment type
1.) Letter from employer indicating that you have been in a random testing program meeting the criteria of 46 CFR 16.230 for at least 60 days (from April 28, 2019) during the previous 185 days, and have not failed nor refused to participate in a chemical test for dangerous drugs.OR2.) Passed a chemical test for dangerous drugs, required under Title 46 CFR 16.210 within the previous 185 days (from April 28, 2019)
- Possess and maintain a valid license and certification to practice as a Medical Doctor
- Must possess and maintain a valid DEA number and certificate to transmit specific controlled substances
- ACLS Certification (Advanced Cardiac Life Support)
- The incumbent will be required to obtain Coast Guard certification (Certificate of Registry) as a Medical Officer with the help of the college.
- US Passport
- DOT/USCG Periodic Drug Testing Documentation
- Previous Emergency Medicine, Urgent Care or Family Medicine experience
- Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) - Note: All applicants must have an MMC
- Valid Medical Certificate - Note: The Medical Certificate is issued with the original MMC; however it must be renewed every 2-years ontact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call The Office of Human Resource Services at (718) 409-7303 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (718) 409-7350. It can also be viewed on line by selecting University Police at www.sunymaritime.edu.
Application Instructions:Persons interested in the above position should apply online. Please submit:
- Cover letter including cruise option (Cruise A, Cruise B or Full Cruise)
- Contact information for three professional references
Returning Applicants - Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.
Ship's Doctor for the Summer Sea Term 2019
About SUNY Maritime College:SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
Job Description:EMPIRE STATE is a public vessel of the United States, solely operated for the training and licensure of the cadet midshipmen. While onboard the cadets are engaged in classroom lecture, maintenance and repair, watch keeping, and drills and training exercises all in preparation for their eventual licensure. Of the 575 cadets onboard, there will be approximately 20% that are also in ROTC, and preparing for commissioning in the Armed Services following graduation and licensure.In past years, and based on the anticipated number of cadets for this summer, we will be looking to hire a licensed Doctor for the entire training period, or for each half (approximately 52 days per half). Please note that the entire cadet compliment switch out half way through on a chartered flight that will also be provided to the Medical Staff onboard.
Description of Duties:
- Medical staff onboard perform the vital duties expected of the Medical Department onboard any Merchant or Navy ship
- Attending to sick call twice daily (in port and underway);
- Provide instruction in Medical Care Provider and CPR/AED;
- Daily supervision of Ship's Medical and cadet corpsmen
- Daily sanitary inspections of berthing, common areas, and food service areas with the Ship's Master - both underway and while in Port;
- Attendance with any incidents or injuries;
- Required alcohol and/or drug testing;
- Participation on the Ship's Safety Committee.
The FULL Cruise appointment is anticipated to begin April 28, 2019 and end August 13, 2019. However, you may apply and be considered for one of the following.
- Cruise A (April 28, 2019 to June 20, 2019)
- Cruise B (June 20, 2019 to August 13, 2019)
- Full Cruise (April 28, 2019 to August 13, 2019)
Please indicate clearly in your cover letter and/or via email which cruise term you are interested in (A/B/FULL)
- Apply Instructions
Bronx, NY, 10465 USA