President, Gulf Intracoastal Canal Association
- Corporate / Senior Management
- Employment type
- Full Time
The successful candidate will be a leader with at least 10 years of proven relevant executive leadership experience and a strong understanding of the waterways industry. They will be a strategic thinker with proven communications and relationship-building skills and will possess significant organizational management experience. The candidate will be a passionate spokesperson for the industry and GICA’s mission and priorities before a wide range of audiences.
The successful candidate will reside in or near a major Gulf port city in GICA’s area of responsibility.
Additional qualifications include:
- Strong working knowledge of, and experience in, coastal and inland navigation - specifically in the Gulf coast region.
- An understanding of roles and responsibilities of Federal, state, and local partners in marine transportation matters.
- Familiarity with the U.S. regulatory framework for commercial vessels, shipping, and navigation.
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills are paramount with particular emphasis on fostering working relationships with U. S. Coast Guard and Army Corps of Engineers personnel at both the leadership and field levels
- Ability to work independently, without significant staff support.
- Flexibility and commitment to be available to members 24x7.
- Ability to coalesce disparate opinions and views and arrive at a consensus course of action.
- Demonstrated experience as an articulate, credible, and persuasive spokesperson with a wide range of audiences, including senior government officials, media, elected officials (local, state, and federal), other industry groups, and the public at large.
- Familiarity with electronic work systems – internet/email communications, world wide web interactions, financial accounting systems, and member tracking applications.
- Unquestionable integrity, credibility, and character, demonstrated high moral and ethical
The Gulf Intracoastal Canal Association (GICA)is a not-for-profit trade association with a mission to facilitate commerce through ensuring safe, reliable, and efficient Gulf Coast waterways – primarily, the Gulf Intracoastal Waterway (GIWW). The GIWW is the principal Gulf Coast inland waterway, spanning five states and some 1100 miles from Brownsville, TX to St. Marks, FL. The GIWW provides a link between key Gulf ports and, through its tributaries, the nation’s greater inland waterway system. GICA members and others transport 112 million tons of commodities each year on the GIWW which represent a $61 billion economic impact to the Gulf states, including 143,000 jobs directly related to the GIWW. GICA acts as a single voice for the industries that utilize the GIWW. The Association advocates on behalf of its members, working closely with federal, state and local partners.
The GICA President’s primary responsibility is to be the advocate for the GIWW and the businesses that operate on the waterway.
- Apply Instructions
To be considered, qualified candidates should ensure their resumes are received by Mr. Tom Marian, Search Committee Chair, no later than December 15, 2020. The Search Committee will hold resumes, and personal information provided by applicants, in strict confidence.
A detailed Position Description is available on the GICA Website at https://www.gicaonline.com/about-us/gica-president-position/