JUNIOR SAFETY ENGINEER
- up to £35,000 per year
- Employment type
- Full Time
Responsibilities for Junior Safety Engineer
As a Junior Safety Engineer, you will provide advice, support and guidance to internal and external parties, advising on engineering design and development, and management of safety risk. You’ll be influential in identifying solutions to reduce the risk to military personnel on the front line.
Responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Developing and maintaining policy and process, to meet corporate standards for delivering and supporting safety management
• Creating and managing safety management systems at project level
• Providing specialist advice on product safety and systems safety matters to relevant stakeholders, ensuring safety considerations are carefully considered, defined and implemented
• Working with colleagues to ensure compliance with relevant UK and EU legislation and regulations, MOD regulations and DE&S/SDA policy
You will be fully supported to build a breadth of skills as outlined by the UK Standard for Professional Engineering Competence requirements for Incorporated Engineers, providing you with the skills and knowledge required for a successful and fulfilling career.
What you will be assessed against
To be successful with your application you must demonstrate that you meet the following essential criteria:
• You will hold a minimum of an HNC/NQF (i.e., Level 4 qualification, or higher) in an Engineering, Science or Safety discipline or will demonstrate equivalent experience
• You will have experience working with stakeholders in the delivery of technical outcomes within a regulated environment (such as, maritime, defence, aerospace, rail, oil, gas, automotive or similar)
• You will have evidence of providing technical advice whilst considering safety aspects and implications
It will also benefit your application if you are able to demonstrate the following desirable criteria:
• Experience of mechanical or electrical (or similar) engineering
• Experience of working with a safety management system
In addition to the responsibilities above, the following technical competencies and behaviours will be assessed at interview:
• Complies with the principles of system safety management
• Adoption of safety risk management processes
• Communicating and influencing
• Changing and improving
What’s in it for you?
We’re exploring future ways of working with a flexible and a family-friendly approach in mind. This means that successful candidates may be offered the option of hybrid working, combining working at home with working at their contractual location. Further information relevant to hybrid working will be discussed with you prior to you taking up your post, to find a balance that suits your needs and those of the organisation. Please note that employees are responsible for meeting the cost of their travel to and from work when attending site.
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and are dedicated to creating a great place to work that reflects the diversity of the society we serve. To help us do this, we particularly encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, disabled people and people from LGBT communities. By bringing together different ideas, experiences and perspectives, we can achieve our ambitions, together.