Damage Control Leader
- Shipboard Officer / Personnel / Crew
- Employment type
- Full Time
- Company Employee
Salary: $91,347 + $45,674 BONUS
A $45,674 recruitment incentive is authorized for eligible selectees. Actual amount is calculated as 25% of base pay. Incentive is paid as a lump sum at the beginning of employment with the Command, and requires a 2-year service agreement. CIVMAR (VEOA) candidates and Annuitants selected for employment as Assistant Damage Control Officer are not eligible for recruitment incentives.
The Assistant Damage Control Officer is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-maned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, in contested or uncontested environments.
Assistant Damage Control Officers (ADCOs) conduct training based upon MSC and USCG training requirements, ship drills, ship inspections and/or casualty investigations for the MSC civil service marine workforce. ADCOs may be assigned to a MSC training center, field site, or on an Afloat Training Team. Duties include, but are not limited to, conducting training and/or ship drills based upon MSC and USCG training requirements; conducting ship inspections and casualty investigations; developing/revising training courses, lesson plans, student/instructor guides, and other training material; writing instructional, investigation and/or inspection reports with recommendations; providing technical advice on damage control issues; acting as safety observer during field evolutions; and/or maintaining and repairing school facilities and equipment as necessary.
ADCOs report to a Damage Control Leader. Candidates selected required to sail 30-45 days on annual basis during high relief request seasons and mission contingencies. When assigned to a ship, ADCOs come under the administrative supervision of the ship’s Master.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- USCG Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) endorsed as: Any Unlicensed Rating in the Deck Department, Able Seaman Unlimited, or Any Unlicensed Rating in the Engine Department,
- USCG License endorsed as: Master or Chief Mate (Any Gross Tons Upon Oceans) or Chief Engineer or First Assistant Engineer (Steam, Motor, or Gas Turbine vessels of Any Horsepower),
- STCW Certificate that accompanies the USCG MMC.
- Applicants with an Engineer’s license must also possess a Universal EPA Ozone Depleting Substances certificate
- Applicants with a Deck license must also possess a current Radar Observers Unlimited endorsement or certificate and a Federal Communications Commission GMDSS Radio Operators License/Certificate.
Although not required for consideration, candidates that hold Tankerman PIC (person in charge)/DL (dangerous liquids), or the appropriate Towing credentials as specified in 46 CFR 15.805(a)(5), Towing Officers Assessment Record (TOAR), possess credentials or certificates demonstrating proficiency with unusual and technical shipboard operations systems and programs such as Dynamic Positioning (DP) Systems, salvage operations, cable operations, command ship operations, or foreign naval auxiliary operations shall provide that information on the Promotion Application form.
COPIES OF CERTIFICATES AND DOCUMENTS ARE NOT REQUIRED BUT ARE TO BE LISTED ON THE MSC PROMOTION APPLICATION FORM UNLESS DOCUMENTATION IS SUPPORTING COMMERCIAL EXPERIENCE OTHER THAN MILITARY SEALIFT COMMAND EXPERIENCE.
- Apply Instructions