I currently am a tug captain. I am also a new Dynamic Positioning operator. My most recent contract was Captain on a 160 foot river tug and 120 foot supply tug in the Hudson Bay. I also have experience as Chief mate on ocean tugs/supply vessels with multi tow barge operations of Transatlantic and Arctic passages. I have experience as Mate/OOW on 730 foot bulk carriers on the Great Lakes of Canada. I am a non smoker, in good physical condition and am available for full or part time work. For experience I also have 20+ years as a Bosun in the Canadian Navy.
June, 2009 - Ongoing – Captain 160’ river tug / Captain 120’ supply tug in the Hudson Bay area. Also Chief Mate on ocean tugs with International trips with barge units of over 400’ in multi tow operations.
May 2007 - June 09 – Mate / OOW on 730’ Bulk carriers with Upper Lakes Shipping; Experienced with wire mooring winches for canalling, berthing/unberthing, warping and anchor work. Trained in computer aided ballasting and cargo load/unloading, knowledgeable in US Border Patrol and International Customs. Ships safety officer and; experienced as 300 ton unloading boom operator and 15 ton gantry crane operator; Certified wheelsman, testimonial available upon request.
2007 – Ongoing - (Seasonal) - Murphy’s on the water tour boat Captain. I was mainly the Harbour Hopper operator but also was trained as a back up Captain for the tour boats “Haligonian” and “Harbour Queen”.
2007 Sept-Nov - M/Y The Highlander out of Fort Lauderdale. I was the Unlicensed Engineer and Refit manager at Fort Lauderdale boat yards.
1981- 2005 (broken time) Boatswain CAF, (Navy) Rank: Petty Officer Second Class (ret’d)
Trained in navigation; firefighting/fire team leader, demolitions, ships damage control and search and rescue. I have much experience as an FRC operator coming alongside large vessels in heavy seas, anchor work and line handling, towing, buoy mooring, replenishments at sea including cargo, stores and refuelling, 15 ton crane operator, forklift driver, spray-painter/supervisor, maintainer of deck gear.
Employed/volunteered in supervisor/instructor positions for numerous military promotional and public relation/affairs positions:
? Nova Scotia International Tattoo Naval Display trainer. (4 yrs)
? Divisional Petty Officer for Fleet Augmentation Atlantic. (1.5 yrs)
? Fleet Club Sports Chairman/Executive (2.5 yrs)
? Halifax Aquarium project rejuvenation coordinator
Nova Scotia Community College / Canso Strait Area Nautical Institute, 2006-09
• STCW 95 Unrestricted Chief Mate - 500 Ton Master Home Trade / Unlimited OOW- MCA CEC
Success College of Applied Arts and Technology 2004-2005
• Tourism and Travel Diploma
Mount Saint Vincent University Credits, 2003-2004
• Management Planning and Control, Management Organization and Directing.
PADI Open Water Diver
• Certified in Cancun, Mexico
• Dynamic Positioning Induction course // Navigation Systems and Instruments
• BST/HUET trained // STCW 95 ECDIS Certificate
• EK1 engineering knowledge level 1 // Deviascope
• Masters Stability 114 // Ships Construction (Level 4)
• GMDSS (GOC) // Cargo level 3
• Ship Management 092 // Astro Navigation and Sextant 051
• SEN 1A-B+ SEN 2 (Command), Simulated Electronic Navigation (SIM 1 D.O.T)
• Meteorology 072
• Morse Code 012 // Communications
• Chart work, Pilotage, and Navigation Safety training 041/061(1+2) // General Seamanship and Ship knowledge
• Canadian Coast Guard FRC RHIOT (Rigid Hull Intense Operator Training) search and rescue training
• General Military Instructors Training course
• Advanced Fire/Flood and Damage Control training, MED A1/B1/B2/C/D (Senior officer)
• ST. John’s Marine Advanced First Aid/CPR
• Various small arms/demolitions training courses
• WHIMIS Trained
• SWOAD Trained for helicopter work at sea. (Ship Without Air Department)
• Stress Management Trained // Suicide Intervention // SHARP Trained (Harassment)
• Class II drivers license with air brakes
• Supervisory and leadership abilities resulting in strong team commitment
• Hardworking, conscientious worker with abundant drive and energy
• Solid organizer with experience planning and organizing activities and events
• Initiative with strong communication skills; able to visualize and put into practice new ideas
I am looking for full time employment preferably. I am willing to relocate and work extended periods away from home internationally.