- Engineer / Naval Architect
An experienced Subsea Package Engineer with a strong background in subsea asset integrity, having developed, installed and commissioned several deepwater riser and mooring-line monitoring systems. I am equally comfortable in shore-side, offshore, professional and international environments. I am confident working independently or in teams, have a broad background and area of ability, and eagerly take on new and unfamiliar tasks. I relish multicultural surroundings and readily travel for extended periods.
Most recently I provided FHR, SCR, riser base spool and SIV integrity systems to the deepwater sector in West Africa. These are multi-discipline projects that require wide-ranging knowledge of SURF structures and dynamics, the subsea environment, corrosion and materials, static umbilicals, etc.
I anticipate joining a team that provides cost effective solutions for offshore oil and gas production. The desired position offers technical challenges and opportunities for enhancing existing skills. I seek a dynamic environment where I can leverage my experience in asset monitoring and expand my career into subsea developments, in roles such as installation, pre-commissioning and commissioning, and interface engineering.
BMT Scientific Marine Services, Escondido, CA April 2007 – January 2016
Subsea Package Engineer
• Project technical development from proposal to final installation
• Ensure that deliverable meets client’s specifications and requirements
• Ensure that deliverable meets or exceeds industry and HSE standards
• Oversight and coordination of project team (Mechanical, Electrical and Software Engineers, Designers, Drafters and Technicians)
• Design review and approval, component and materials specification
• Specification of test procedures and verification of test results
• Development, review and approval of project documentation (drawings, design reports, I&C procedures, ITPs, document lists, etc.)
• Project quality control, e.g., NDT, positive material identification, material traceability and vendor management
• Coordination with other subcontractors to ensure that delivered systems are compatible with all components with which they must interface
• Liaise with package manager to control costs and ensure that the project is delivered on time and within budget
• Develop and provide end user training
• Represent BMT at project kick-off meetings and lead design reviews with EPICs and oil majors
• Develop package proposals, cost estimates and schedules
• Provide status reports and short term projections to clients and senior management
SeaLandAire Technologies, Jackson, MI May 2005 - May 2006
• Team member in the development of an autonomous, energy harvesting, station-keeping buoy
• Developed a numerical simulation of a subsea, hydrodynamic “wing”
• Tow-tank testing of wing prototype to validate the simulation
Fugro GEOS, Houston, TX June 2004 - May 2005
• Developed platform based and seafloor founded oceanographic monitoring systems for the offshore industry
• Deployed, serviced and recovered deep ocean instrumentation moorings
• Utilized Acoustic Doppler Current Profilers (ADCPs) and acoustic modems for subsea communications and near real-time data transfer
• Post-processed and evaluated oceanographic data
Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Newport, RI June 2001 - October 2003
• Developed and tested an Instrumented Tow Cable that employs principles of temperature dependent light scattering in an optical fiber, to infer seawater temperature along the length of the cable, as it is towed through the water column.
• Developed portable system for at-sea deployment and retrieval of the 1800-meter cable, and the accompanying data-acquisition system.
• Technical lead for several sea-tests including two multinational military exercises and several scientific cruises.
• Post sea-test data processing and evaluation
Mobil Oil Corporation, et. al 1979 - 1992
• US Merchant Marine (Commercial shipping) for 13 years as crew, then officer, aboard a variety of vessels including oil tank-ships and barges.
Egina FSHR Integrity System - Package Engineer - 2014 / 2015
• Developed FSHR asset integrity systems for eight risers, one SIV and two riser spools for delivery in late 2015
• Oversaw final design, fabrication and testing, specifications management, documentation and procurement
• Interface with CTR engineers from KOM to installation and commissioning
CLOV SHR and HRT Integrity System Installation - Package Engineer/PM- 2013/14
• Engineered and managed installation and commissioning of three riser tower tension systems for evaluating buoyancy tank integrity
• Commissioning included three months aboard CLOV FPSO
• Currently finalizing documentation and invoicing
Kizomba Gas Gathering Integrity System Intervention – Package Manager 2015
• Managed a subsea intervention to install and commission one tension system for evaluating BT integrity
Scarabeo-9 Drill Riser - Package Engineer / Package Manager 2012
• Designed and developed and delivered a drill riser monitoring system with 3600m depth capability. This was three times deeper than any previous BMT system.
• Developed the commercial and technical proposals, including cost estimates, for the subsea data acquisition system.
• Managed the project from proposal to final invoicing.
USAN Standing Hybrid Riser - Package Engineer 2010/2011
• Developed, tested and delivered four SHR tension systems, for evaluating buoyancy tank integrity.
• Hands-on installation in Nigeria and support of system commissioning offshore.
Pazflor CALM Buoy Mooring Lines - Package Engineer 2009
• Developed, tested and delivered seven instrumented load pins to monitor the mooring line tension for an FPSO offloading buoy
Cascade Turret Buoy Mooring Lines – Package Engineer 2008/09
• Developed, tested and delivered eleven instrumented load pins to evaluate tension in an FPSO detachable turret buoy mooring lines. System included subsea support structures and data acquisition.
• Developed and delivered supporting structure for a long baseline FPSO positioning system and subsea acoustic communications system for retrieving riser tension and bending data from five FSHRs.
• On site supervision of system installations and testing in Indonesia and hands-on commissioning in the Gulf of Mexico.
AKPO Steel Catenary Riser - Engineer 2007/08
• Designed, developed and delivered the subsea acoustic data transfer system for 40 SCR tension and bending monitoring stations.
• Master of Science: Ocean Engineering - University of Rhode Island, 2004
• Bachelor of Science: Mechanical Engineering - University of New Hampshire, 1999 (Cum Laude)
Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Newport RI - 2002
• Special Achievement Award for Excellence in the Area of Developmental Engineering
• Special Achievement Award for Excellence in the Area of Technical Innovation
• Flow Assurance – University of Houston 2016
• Riser Design – University of Houston 2015
• Project Management Essentials - University of California, 2012
• Marine Corrosion Control
• Optical Fiber Training and Advanced OTDR
• Underwater Acoustic Modeling and Simulation
• Orcaflex, DeepRiser, MATLAB, MSProject, MSOffice
Other Skills and Certificates
• U.S. Maritime License - Mate; Near Coastal Vessels to 1600 Gross Tons
• BOSIET, UKOOA, HUET, SEMS, TWIC, SafeGulf
• English: Native, French: Intermediate (read, write, speak)
• Open Water S.C.U.B.A.
• English: Native, French: Intermediate (read, write, speak)
• Member Marine Technology Society, Society of Underwater Technology
• Passenger automobile license
• Sport (Ski, sail, cycle, yoga), member of film club and French language club
• Nationality: United States
• Family: Single, no children
• Availability: One month notice
San Marcos, California,