I would like to work on a marine vessel as a secretary or personal assistant. I possess office management and leadership skills. I am proficient in computer software programs. Adaptable and dependable, with strong organizational and communicative skills. Able to multi-task in a variety of settings. Work very well with systems in an organised environment. Capable of working alone and/ or in a team. Thrives on fresh challenges.
April 2009 to October 2009 P & O Cruises MV Oceana & Arcadia
Assistant Manager & Finance Officer Nights
Assistant Shore Excursion Manager: my duties and responsibilities were to -
• conducted target based onboard sales of shore excursions to passengers whilst providing port and tour information to guests
• compile detailed reports to shore side office, escort tours to ensure quality standards are maintained
• dispatch of guests on tours and distribute tour tickets; and manage/ resolve with guest complaints
• ensure all tours are accurately charged to the correct guests and updated where necessary
Finance Officer Nights: my duties and responsibilities were to -
• Place relevant charges to passenger and crew accounts and print passenger statements
• Conduct stores stock takes each cruise and inform the Store Manager of any cruise on cruise discrepancies
• Conduct night management duties ensure crew and passenger safety,
• Supervise the night management team and manage any security and safety issues escalate to senior when necessary.
• Resolve guest complaints and concerns
• Ensure all outlets have closed to run end of day financial processes
• Complete daily and end of cruise financial reports
• Balance financial reports in Excel and Core
• Place relevant charges to passenger and crew accounts
• Conduct stores stock takes
• Print passenger statements
• Compile reports for all heads of department and distribute to heads of department
Jan 2008 to March 2009 P & O Cruises MV Aurora
Assistant Hotel Manager
Assistant Administration Manager: my duties and responsibilities were to:
• Communicate with port agents to ensure relevant immigration requirements are fulfilled prior to arrival in port
• Check passengers on and off board the ship
• Manage full passenger administration
• Prepare guest cards and necessary administration for new cruise passengers
• Prepare tender port documentation and paperwork
• Resolve guest complaints and concerns
• Administer ILO sheets
Assistant Crew Manager my duties and responsibilities were to:
• Assist Crew Manager with Immigration and Custom clearance.
• Liaise with agents and HODs for crew travel arrangements
• Arrange crew medical disembarks in cooperation with the Medical team.
• Manage the crew cash float, maintain an accurate cash float and request required funds from the Finance Officer in a timely matter.
• Maintain Crew manifests for on board safety regulations and International requirements.
• Hold confidential information.
• Provide accurate and complete administration of crew files including certification, travel documents, personal details
• Ensure proper signing on and off process for all crew members
• Provide financial reporting to the Finance Officer
• Maintain an accurate and up to date manual for completion of responsibilities as laid down in job description.
• Ensure proper submission of month end financial reports.
• Facilitate Crew Cash advances and crew remittances as per company guidelines
• Provide accurate monthly payslips to all crew members on the onboard payroll
• Collect deposits for crew onboard accounts and pay out outstanding balances.
• Make all the necessary travel arrangements for off signing crew members.
• Maintain Crew Manifest and Crew Customs Declaration.
• Maintain of documentation pertaining to regulations in accordance with International Maritime Regulations.
• Allocation of articles & maintenance of crew article files
Assistant Front of House Manager: my duties and responsibilities were to:
• Update passenger information in the Core and PMS database
• Perform currency exchange required for the relevant ports
• Respond to guest enquiries and resolve any concerns brought forward
• Liaise with the housekeeping and engineering department to repair any problems in guest cabins
• Performed staff training and team building exercises
• Scheduled the front desk team rotations
• Enforce the delivery of standards, efficiencies, services and quality within the guest services department onboard
• Encourage the front desk team to perform at their optimal level thus achieving high scores in the passenger service ratings
• Performed inter-departmental communication to resolve guest concerns
Hotel Department Training
During this time I received inter departmental training in the housekeeping department; where I shadowed the deck supervisors and cabin stewards as they performed their daily duties. This involved:
• Giving daily instruction, updating and supervising a team of ten to fifteen cabin stewards
• Ensuring all cabins were cleaned to the company standard
• I also worked with a cabin steward, cleaning cabins to the required standard and follow up
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
As P&O is a luxury cruise liner it was expected to perform additional duties that would maximize the guest experience and maintain a five star environment at all times.
• Entertain and converse with passengers during cocktail and welcome onboard parties
• Host passengers at the loyalty club and world cruise lunches
Apr 2007 to December 2007 Onboard Spa Company MV Aurora
Massage Therapist, Receptionist and Teeth Whitening Specialist
• Promoted to Head of Department overseeing and managing six therapists ensuring spa standards were upheld whilst managing the reception area.
• Received promotion from massage therapist to spa receptionist and teeth whitening specialist due to excellent customer service and goal achievement.
• Successfully assisted the Spa Manager in making use of strategic planning, budgeting and training to ensure the business ran smoothly and team targets were achieved.
• Involved in the creation and application of innovative marketing each cruise to appeal to different clientele.
Jan 2005 to-Mar 2007 Santam Ltd Johannesburg, South Africa
Executive Assistant to Executive Head Corporate and Specialist Distribution
• Full event coordination; selection of themes, corporate gifts, venue, menu selection for executive level clients of large recognised insurance firms such as Alexander Forbes.
• Performed full executive assistant duties that included involvement in strategic planning, supervision of departmental secretaries, making travel arrangements, scheduling and organization of meetings and communications; full diary management and appointment scheduling.
• Annual Management Expenses and Budget; forecasting and current expense management
• Performed full research and prepared PowerPoint presentations for internal and external meetings and events.
IGCSE ‘O’ Level Certificate – Distinction
Bachelor of Commerce specialization Strategic Management 2005 to date Modules Covered:
• Business Management • Human Resources
• Economics and Accounting I and II • Tourism Marketing
• Anthropology • Entrepreneurship
• Customer Service • English Communication
• ITEC - Aromatherapy, Swedish Massage, Anatomy and Physiology First Aid Level I – Certificate
Crystal Healing Level I – Certificate
MS Office Applications: PowerPoint, Internet, Word, Lotus Notes, Excel, Outlook, Novell, GroupWise, Crunchtime, CAS, PMS and Core