A position that combines my Project Management and Leadership expertise with my maritime background.
Senior Project Manager, LK Industries, Jacksonville, FL, 2005-2007
• Coordinated all aspects of store package installations for major national brands, such as Einstein Bros Bagels, Starbucks (Kroger Stores), Smoothie King, and Target;
• Managed multiple store package projects simultaneously from conceptual drawings to final punch list and post-installation evaluation;
• Supervised design & engineering support for over 100 store packages and design packages;
• Communicated with all stake-holders on various aspects of projects and documentation.
• Ensured production quality need-date standards were maintained for all stained-wood product lines (Starbucks, Einstein Bros Bagels, HMS Host, and Borders);
• Key player in continuous improvement (Lean manufacturing) efforts;
• Pursued and obtained AWFI certification for all department personnel.
Department Manager, The Home Depot, Yulee & Palatka, FL; Hackensack, NJ 2003-2005
• Operated and supervised as many as five departments simultaneously (Flooring, Plumbing, Kitchen & Bath, Décor, and Appliances), transforming them from statistical under-performers to achieving sales above plan sales and above gross margin targets;
• Ran a $4.5 million per-annum Millwork business with top-rated sales and profitability statistics, including sales/labor plan estimation and inventory management.
• Acted in the capacity of the Store Manager when required overseeing all customer service and personnel management issues.
Programmer-Analyst, ADP Brokerage Services Group, Jersey City, NJ 1999-2002
• Developed, tested and implemented over 300 new programs and program changes in various computer languages and environments;
• Worked with clients on defining program upgrades and new reports.
Independent Business / Finance Consultant, New York, NY 1998-1999
• Successfully obtained over $2.5 million in financing and business expansion capital.
Financial Consultant, Smith Barney, New York, NY 1996-1998
• Managed over $4.5 million in client assets with superior rates of return.
Manager of Program Development, MarineSafety International, Kings Point, NY 1993-1996
• Developed & marketed simulator-based maritime training and port development projects.
Surface Warfare Officer, US Navy, Various Ships & Shore Commands 1983-1993
• Lead numerous and varying departments aboard ship and ashore in the following billets: Chief Engineer, Staff Plans Officer, Operations Officer, Combat Information Center Officer, Navigator, Administration Officer, First Lieutenant, and Auxiliaries Officer;
• USN Qualifications: Command-at-Sea; Command Duty Officer; Tactical Action Officer; Engineer Officer On Watch (both Gas Turbine and 1200-psi Steam propulsion plants); Officer of the Deck (fleet, underway); Staff Watch Officer (NATO); Staff Navigator; Boat Group Commander.
B.S., Nautical Science / Marine Transportation, U.S. Merchant Marine Academy
Minor: Personnel Management; Concentration: Tanker Operations
Certificate, Wood Finishing Systems/Spray Operator, American Wood Finishing Institute (AWFI);
Certificate, Mainframe Programming, Chubb Computer Services / The Chubb Institute;
Certificates, Department Head & Division Officer Courses, US Navy Surface Warfare Officer’s School Command
• Coordinated over 100 store package installations as the single point-of-contact for designers, architects, construction and installation crews, production, purchasing, and store management across multiple brands;
• Managed account and brand relationships and new store design projects for major Franchisers/Licensors such as Einstein Bros, Starbucks, Smoothie King and Target;
• Headed up new product design and engineering initiatives including value engineering efforts, prototypical store design implementation, and manufacturing and installation quality improvements;
• Conducted store package opening punch lists;
• Performed pre-construction site surveys and site readiness inspections;
• Facilitated both pre-construction and post-installation conference calls;
• Communicated project status through project management tools such as MS Project and weekly/monthly/long-term multi-project schedules.
• Coordinated New Store fixture setup and merchandizing sets as the single point-of-contact between construction teams, vendor set crews, display installers and store management in opening the new Home Depot in Yulee, FL;
• Key player in the opening of three new Home Depot stores: Hackensack, NJ; Palatka, FL; Yulee, FL;
• Oversight and execution of over 40 merchandizing and vendor resets in multiple departments;
• Project Manager for a $25-million Docking Ship Restricted Availability (DSRA);
• Managed 160,000 man-hour ship’s force work list;
• Drafted and presented business plans and secured funding for $2.5-million business expansion.
Management / Supervision
• Directed entire store’s sales and operations staff as a key-carrier / Manager-on-Duty;
• Directed Millwork sales force in achieving 105-percent over-plan sales and a #1 ranking company-wide;
• Performed and supervised inventory management for over $3-million in store products;
• Managed / developed over 175 personnel in various disciplines toward common goals;
• Successfully refined and implemented numerous new projects.
Dear Hiring Manager:
I am a US Merchant Marine Academy alumnus looking to return the maritime industry after having been away from the business for the past few years. Until recently, I was a Senior Project Manager for a store package manufacturer in Jacksonville, Florida, serving as the single point-of-contact for all aspects of project implementation. This required coordination and supervision of multiple and varying functions.
Additionally, I served in the US Navy for over ten years. I was a Chief Engineer (steam and gas turbine propulsion certificates) and held various deck billets including Operations Officer, Navigator, and First Lieutenant. I also headed-up a $25-million dry-docking and shipyard overhaul.
I feel that my maritime background and considerable management expertise would be great assets to your firm.
Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope to have the opportunity to discuss the opening with you in person.
Douglas E. Ullman
(904) 475-1189 (Home)
(904) 240-6699 (Mobile)