- Cruise Ship
Master Mariner, BA (Psychology), I.O.S.H. Certified
John is a committed, senior marine professional with a proven track record of outstanding leadership, successful team building, and delivering top notch results. He excels at organizational development, creative problem solving, establishing achievable goals and priorities, and superlative communication.
- Recruited to Starboard Ten Maritime Consulting – expert witness (2018)
- Selected as Senior Marine Advisor for CPSC Transcom Ltd. & General Consultant for Hammurabi & Co.
- Selected to develop & implement fleet wide Emergency Towing Procedures (Royal Caribbean).
- Selected to develop a fleet wide Marine Maintenance Manual for the Deck Department. (Royal Caribbean).
- Successfully spearheaded a multidisciplinary team in creating, monitoring and adapting a ship wide safety/accident reduction program ship wide for 850 employees. Royal Caribbean International (“Monarch of the Seas”)
- Prime mover in a senior management team which led the vessel in achieving top levels across the board resulting in being selected “Ship of the Year” amongst a fleet of 21 vessels. (“Monarch of the Seas”)
- Key player in developing a fleet wide marine brand quality/compliance monitoring self-audit database and served as a traveling fleet assessor/auditor.
- Led a specialized group of shipboard staff in an aggressive onboard and community based Environmental Program focusing on innovation, recycling and waste management. As a result, the vessel (“Adventure of the Seas”) was honored with two prestigious awards; “Environmental Ship of the Year” and “Innovative Ship of the Year”.
- Selected to participate in a specialist team, which successfully developed a comprehensive outbreak prevention plan dealing with Norwalk and other pathogens for an entire fleet of over 22 ships. Eventually the plan became an Industry Standard.
- Created, produced and perfected a great number of highly successful, specialized training tools; including videos, manuals, pamphlets, committees and strategies with which to train large numbers of ship board employees.
Independent Marine Consultant (March 2010 – Present)
Providing expert advice, guidance and research to other local consultants and Transport Canada (Maritime).
Princess Cruise Line: Occupational Safety & Environmental Officer (Dec. 2010- Jun. 2017)
Ensuring compliance with all applicable waste disposal and environmental regulations, chemical management systems, ballast water management, monitor compliance with occupational safety policies, training of ship’s staff, audits and risk assessments. Full responsibility for all shipboard Occupational and Health procedures.
Royal Caribbean International (Cruise Line): Fleet Deck Maintenance Manager (Dec. 2008 – Oct. 2010)
Assessed & Audited procedures developing efficiencies in labor, scheduling, materials, purchasing & procurement, application of tools/equipment. Conducted a thorough review of safety practices. Produced a fleet wide Maintenance Manual for the Deck Department. Developed and implemented Emergency Towing Procedures fleet wide.
Royal Caribbean International (Cruise Line): Staff Captain (Dec. 1998 – Jan. 2008)
2 in command of the ship, responsible to the Master. In charge of all Safety, Security, Accident Investigation, Training, Compliance with all external regulations and company policies. Served as the designated ship’s Security Officer and the Ethics Officer. Responsible for all passenger and employee discipline including extensive liaison with authorities and investigative reports. Is the roving leader in any onboard emergency. In charge of the bridge and the navigation team. Served as the chairman of the shipboard maintenance team, ensuring all maintenance is performed according to regulations and company policy. Oversight and development of a large budget and cost efficiencies. Additional responsibilities/projects as designated by the Master/Company. Served as relief Master on three assignments.
Royal Caribbean International (Cruise Line): Chief Officer (Apr. 1996 – Sept. 1998)
Responsible for ballast water management, environmental compliance, all non- engineering maintenance (Deck & Hotel), safety training, navigation, bridge operations, tendering operations, purchasing, budget management & logistics.
Royal Caribbean International (Cruise Line): Safety Officer (Oct. 1995- Mar. 1996)
Responsible for delivery of safety training to over 800 employees (onboard). Compliance to all safety regulations, maintenance of safety equipment, supervision of junior officers. Development and monitoring of safety training materials.
Royal Caribbean International (Cruise Line): First Officer ( Dec. 1994 – Feb. 1996)
Responsible for navigation, maintenance, training and supervision of junior officers.
Royal Caribbean International (Cruise Line):Second Officer (Dec. 1991- Jan. 1994)
Responsible for navigation, maintenance, training and supervision of ratings.
Stolt Neilsen S.A. (Chemical Tankers) Third Officer (Feb. 1991 – Aug 1991)
Responsible for navigation, maintenance, training and supervision of ratings & cargo operations under the supervision of the Chief Mate.
1968-1989: Various commercial fishing, freight and towing vessels: Master, Mate, Cook, Deckhand; Coastal Waters BC, Canada
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
2017 - Certified in Bilge Water Management & Regulatory Compliance (Total Marine Solutions Inc)
2016 - Certified in onboard laboratory analysis of wastewater effluents (Admiralty Environmental LLC)
2014 - Certified Instructor: Forklift and Pallet Truck operations
2012 - Certified in Safe working at heights
2011 – I.O.S.H. (UK) Certified: Safety Management & Risk Assessment.
Certified Ship’s Environmental Officer (CBT). Certification in Integrated Pest Management
2010 - ECDIS/NACOS/AIS (Electronic Navigation Systems) Certification - Carnival Cruises Training Center; Almere, Holland.
2009 – Certification in Ballast Water Management.
2005 – Certified Ship’s Security Officer (CBT).
2004 – Advanced Emergency Ship Handling, simulator training, STAR center.
2003 - Train the Trainer, STCW certified Instructor/Assessor, Star Center.
2002 - Integrated Bridge Systems/Bridge Resources Management/Dynamic Positioning, Star Center.
2000 - Certified Hospitality Supervisor Certificate. Confined Space Procedures Certificate.
1999 - IMS Counter-Terrorism & Security Course, Ashford, England. U.S.P.H.Cert., Miami, FL.
AMOS Computer Training, Oslo, Norway. Crowd Management Training, Shipboard. USPH – Public Health & Sanitation
1998 - Sperry Marine Integrated Navigation System Certificate, Charlottesville, Virginia.
Basic & Advanced Shipboard Fire Fighting (RESOLVE), Port Everglades, Florida.
1997 - Fast Rescue Boat Certificate, STAR Center, Dania, Florida.
GMDSS General Operator's Certificate, PMTI, Vancouver, Canada.
HAZMAT Certificate, Level 2, Shipboard Training.
1996 - Master Mariner's License, P.M.T.I., Vancouver, Canada.
Bridge Resource Management Training (Simulator), STAR Center, Dania, Florida.
HAZMAT Certificate, Level 1, Shipboard Training.
1995 - Advanced Marine Fire Fighting. Miami-Dade College, Florida.
1994 - Chief Officer: Home Trade Master (Unlimited); Radar /ARPA Re-certification.
First Aid/CPR Cert. Pacific Marine Training Institute, Vancouver, B.C.
1991 - Chemical Tanker Safety Endorsement: Maine Maritime Institute, Castine, Maine.
1990 - 2nd Officer; P.M.T.I., Canada.
1989 - Petroleum Tanker Endorsement. PMTI
1988 - Home Trade Master (350 Ton Restricted). Marine Emergency Duties; CPR/First
Aid, Radar/ARPA. PMTI
1982 - 3rd Officer, Marine Emergency Duties (Fire Fighting, Survival Craft),
Radar/ARPA, Radio License. PMTI.
1980 - Bachelor of Arts: Psychology (1st Class), University of B.C., Vancouver.
- Fully proficient in MS OFFICE: Word, Excel, Powerpoint
- Experienced in custom marine software such as Ballast/Stability programs, AMOS planned maintenance, fuel consumption programs, etc.
- The Company of Master Mariners of Canada
- The Society of Marine Professionals
- Expertise in handling large cruise vessels: Variable Pitch Propellors and Azipods (20 yrs)
- Expertise in handling smaller vessels of all types (25 yrs +)