- Project Engineering / Project Management
At present, I am is an Independent and Non Exclusive Principal Consultant /Advisor/Surveyor/Auditor/Trainer/Project Manager serving local and international maritime companies as well as classification societies such as Bureau VERITAS (BV), INTERMARITIME Certification Services (ICS), DNV-GL and local consulting firms such as Chancellor Maritime and Offshore and MYKlasship.com.
I was a freelance principle marine surveyor, consultant and auditor providing marine, oil and gas services) to SING Class, SINGLlyods, International Ship Classification (ISC) and flag states of Panama, Belize, Cambodia, Mongolia and Sierra Leone (FOC) on behalf Marine Registration and Certification Service (MRCS), Malaysia.
In year 2008, after 5 years serving SCM (Ship Classification Malaysia), I had been appointed as General Manager .As GM of SCM, my responsibilities are focused in the general management and operation of classification society, development of ship rules and regulations, survey guidelines, business development, planning, training of personnel and quality assurance and etc. He was SCM’s ISM, ISPS and ISO Lead Internal Auditors. He was also responsible in developing SCM ISPS procedural manual.
Prior to his appointment as GM in SCM, I served as Senior Manager, Rules& Development and Planning. He joined SCM in April 2003, after serving several years in Consulting Firm, Port Authority and Classification Society.
I received his Bachelor Degree in Mechanical Engineering, majoring in Marine Technology from University of Technology Malaysia (UTM) in 1993. He had been exposed in various mechanical and marine related areas during his practical training at UTM science laboratories, foundary and workshops Kuala Lumpur, Naval Base Dockyard, Lumut and Malaysia Maritime Academy (ALAM) Malacca. He had also successfully completed his self proposed final year thesis project, proposing Muar River as an alternative state port to the existing congested Johore Port in Pasir Gudang.
I had gained and strengthened his skill and knowledge in various technical and management fields. In 1993, he completed management course in Intan, Kemaman. In 1996 he received Certificate in Marine Diesel Engine from Yanmar, Japan. He received Certificate in International Safety Management(ISM) from the Australian Maritime College in 1997. In 1999, after successfully completed his competent training, he received Certificate of Competency from Det Norske VERITAS (DNV), Hoevik, Norway. In 2003, he received Certificate in International Ship and Port Facility Security Code(ISPS) from International Maritime Security(UK) & Indian Register of Shipping(IRS) and recently received Certificate in ISO Internal QMS Auditor from PSB Corporation, Singapore certified by International Register of Certificated Auditors, IRCA (UK).
My appointment with a Johore based consulting Firm was mainly to provide a proposal on the safe passage of vessels plying through Malacca Straits. In this assignment, he did research and study in the fields of maritime law, rules and regulation, maritime history, analysis of vessels accident and piracy, traffic separation scheme, vessel’s monitoring and surveillance system etc.
My Kuantan Port assignments were primarily centered in maintenance and repair of port’s vessels. As Head of Marine Engineering Unit, he was responsible in the management and planning of maintenance and repair of the port’s vessels, in-house and in shipyard. He involved in the new construction of vessel starts from preparation of tender document until completion of inspection and testing. He was also responsible in the planning and arrangement of training for the personnel under his unit, prepare yearly maintenance and repair budgets, meeting and so on.
I have gained his experience in ships surveying of vessel in operation ranging from small scale vessel such as barge to large scale vessel such as VLCC, new-construction vessel, new-construction survey, offshore marine warranty surveys, shipboard ISM audit, auditing and certification of company, material and product, advisory services and condition assessment while serving with one of the IACS Class Member and the world leader class society i.e. Det Norske VERITAS, Norway. He was also involved in marketing, management and training of personnel in DNV.
In summary, after 20years serving the Maritime, Oil and Gas industries, I have gained various skill, knowledge and experience as summarize below:
1. Classification management for ships new building, class entry and existing ships in service
2. Non exclusive surveys, inspection and audit for non classification works
3. Non exclusive/Third party/In-house survey, inspection, verification, certification approval for ship new-building and existing ship in service
4. Condition assessment program (CAP) for structure and machinery installation
5. Risk based inspection and management program (RBI)
6. Performance based management program (KPI)
7. Structural design, calculation , verification and assessment
8. Finite element and fatigue strength analysis
9. Planned maintenance management system (PMS)
10. Failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA) for high speed and light craft
11. Ship new building pre-contract services, project management and supervision
12. Ship repair, conversion and docking pre-condition assessment, preparation, management and supervision
13. In service ship operation and management
14. Maritime project management and supervision
15. Fishing vessels design, project management and consulting services
16. Specialized light and high speed craft design, project management and supervision
17. Pre-purchase condition survey and vessel valuation
18. Damaged survey of ships and structures, machinery and facilities of maritime shipyards and ports
19. International safety management(ISM) consulting and audit services
20. International ship and port facility (ISPS) consulting and audit services
21. ISO QMS consulting and audit services
22. HSE consulting and audit services
23. Marine operation surveys (load out, sea fastening, lifting, towing and design approval)
24. Marine warranty survey (suitability, IMCA, on/off hire, damaged, load testing etc.)
25. Surveyors, engineers and auditor in house development and competence training
- DNV Surveyor's Certificate of Competence Dec 1999