Work onboard Offshore vessels in the rank of a chief engineer.
Jan 2010 till to date:
Took up sailing again. Please see attached sea service details.
January 2006 to September 2009: (Drydocks World Dubai)
Project Manager & Commissioning Engineer
Nature of duties/responsibilities:
? Participate in build strategy preparation at the initial stage and during the course of the project.
? Study the build strategy/client specification/contract and prepare Master Project Plan for the project.
? Ensure project milestones and commercial controls are achieved by effective planning including logistics and execution.
? Coordination with various yard departments and subcontractors on day-to-day basis for achieving daily targets in line with detailed project program.
? Coordination with parties involved in the project in such a way that the overall risk of failure is eliminated
? Ensure health safety and environmental policies of the yard are strictly complied with both by yard personnel, subcontractors and the representatives of client.
? Identify variations from original contracted specification and coordinate with commercial for claims from owners.
? Determine and implement the exact needs of the client as per contract and specification.
? Periodic project reporting to yard senior management and client.
? Plan and implement continual improvement in safety, quality and productivity.
? Overall planning, scheduling and execution of commissioning activities.
? Liaising with various service engineers for testing and commissioning of machinery/equipment.
? Planning, co-ordination and conducting Sea trials.
? Liaising with Clients/Class/Manufacturers.
? Responsible for certification of the vessel by Classification Societies.
? Dealing with warranty claims.
? Commissioned and conducted sea trials of four 6200 DWT Tankers for Gulf Energy Maritime. The tankers were equipped with HRP Azimuthing main propulsion thrusters driven by Yanmar engines and HRP Bow thrusters. The tankers were completely designed by the yard and classed with LR.
? Pre-Commissioned two DP II capable Semi submersible hulls of H6e series for Aker Kvaerner (worlds largest semi sub with 8 columns on 2 pontoons). The hulls were equipped with Rolls Royce Azimuthing thrusters for Dynamic Positioning. Classed with DNV. Was over all incharge for MIPS (material integrated production system, a web based project management tool for mechanoical
? Managed projects for construction of six Spud Barges for STFA construction company, Saudi Arabia.
? Assistant Project Manager for 2 nos Seismic research vessels till they were ready for commissioning. Brief description of the vessels is mentioned below.
? Commissioned first two of series of 8 DP II seismic research vessels (12 point towing array) being built for two clients, Western Geco (Schlumberger) and Polarcus. All the vessels are classed with DNV. The vessels are designed by Ulstein Design (X-Bow). Main equipment comprises of 6 nos. 1800 KW each Wartsila 9L20 main generators powering Schottel azimuthing thrusters & Brunvoll bow & retractable thrusters. Seismic equipment comprises of ODIM manufactured 12 streamer winches, 3 LMF Gun compressors and HPU units, Kongsberg Dynamic Positioning system. The vessels are 89 m long and following primary material is used – 2300 tons of Grade A steel, 165 KM of electric cabling, 3800 m of piping spools, 6000 m of small bore piping (below 2”), 8500 m of hydraulic tubing.
May 1992 to Nov 2005
Started my career as a Junior Engineer on board Super Tankers and gradually reached the rank of a Chief Engineer. Most of my sea career was spent on crude oil tankers of which two thirds were on board VLCCs. Did two contracts on board bulk carriers. Also had the opportunity of working on two steam turbine driven super tankers. Worked with reputed companies like Denholm Ship Mngt., Tanker Pacific, Chellaram Maritime, and OMI.
• Planning and execution of shipboard maintenance of machinery and equipment which includes both mechanical and electrical and navigation equipment.
• Liaising with various authorities like port state control and classification societies for undergoing class surveys and inspections.
• Liaising and preparing the Engine room dept to undergo ISM (International Safety Management) audit.
• Planning and executing activities during dry docking of the vessel including liaising with shore based staff.
• Assist in notification and drill procedures, and response action required ensuring the safety of the vessel and to mitigate or prevent the discharge, or the substantial threat of a discharge.
• Implementing environmental policies of the marine industries on board vessels.
Marine Engineering experience
Operation and maintenance of:
• Large 2 stroke slow speed diesel engines and 4 stroke engines used for main propulsion. (B&W, Sulzer, MAN B&W)
• Steam Turbines for main propulsion. Impulse & Reaction turbines with cross compounding.
• 4 stroke Medium speed engines for power generation.(Various makers)
• HP Oil fired Main, Auxiliary and exhaust gas boilers upto 62 bar design pressure.
• Steam reciprocating/turbine driven machinery. (Turbo alternators & pumps)
• Power generation and distribution systems upto 10 MW.
• Machinery alarm and monitoring systems
• Fire detection and alarm systems. (Flame/Heat/Smoke type)
• Flammable gas detection system.
• Fire fighting systems (Hi Fog/ steam drenching/ foam/ CO2/Halon/water spray)
• Waste oil and plastic incinerators.
• Large reciprocating, centrifugal and rotary positive displacement pumps.
• Direct expansion air conditioning system
• Indirect expansion chiller type air-conditioning systems.
• Direct expansion refrigeration system.
• Brine type refrigeration systems.
• Package air conditioning units.
• Ice cube/ice cream making units.
• Instrumentation and control systems (Pneumatic/Electro pneumatic/Electro hydraulic)
• Hydraulic equipment and power packs for cranes, hydraulic motor driven pumps, steering gears, winches etc.
• Electric passenger and equipment lifts.
• Fresh water generators and mineralizing plants.
• Reverse Osmosis desalination plants.
• Centrifugal purifiers.
• Pneumatic motors and actuators
• Galley equipments. (Waste disposal/Dish washers/Hot plates etc.)
• Laundry equipment. (Washers/Dryers/Steam pressing machines)
• Attended two technical workshops conducted by MAN B&W and one by Wartsila.
July1982 to April 1992 (Indian Navy)
Joined the Indian Navy as an artificer apprentice in 1982 and completed the 4 years apprenticeship in 1986.
Served onboard INS Vikrant, an air craft carrier as Chief Engine Room Artificer. The ship was powered by Admiralty 3 drum water tube boilers & Parsons cross compounded reaction turbines transmitting 45000 bhp through double helical double reduction gearing. Was in charge of operation and maintenance of complete engineering department which included hydraulic aircraft lifts & steam catapult for aircraft launching systems.
Served onboard INS Nilgiri as Engine Room Artificer IV. The ship was a Leander class frigate powered by Babcock & Wilcox water tube boilers and English Electric main turbines (impulse type) transmitting 30,000 bhp through an articulated type reduction gearing. Was involved in operation and maintenance of all engine room equipment.
4 YEAR DIPLOMA IN MARINE ENGINEERING AT SCHOOL OF MARINE TECHNOLOGY, INS SHIVAJI, LONAVLA, PUNE, INDIA.
CLASS-I MARINE ENGINEER OFFICER LICENSE, ISSUED BY MERCANTILE MARINE DEPT, MINISTRY OF SURFACE TRANSPORT, GOVT. OG INDIA.
1. OPERATION AND MAINTENANCE OF MARINE ENGINES, SHIPBOARD EQUIPMENT.
2. NEW BUILDING PROJECT MANAGEMENT.
3. COMMISSIONIONG AND SEA TRIALS OF NEW BUILD VESSELS.
S.No NAME OF VESSEL COMPANY TYPE OF VESSEL TYPE OF ENGINE BHP DWT GRT RANK FROM TO TOTAL(M-D)
1 M V PRABHU DAS TOLANI BULK CARRIER B&W 6S60MC 11466 74000 40002 C/E 06-05-2010 21-09-2010 04-19
2 MT MALAVIYA TWO GREAT OFFSHORE OSV/AHT YANMAR 4,800 1000 870 C/E 08-01-2010 07-03-2010 02-00
3 MT SAN JACINTO OMCI PRODUCT/CHEM TKR B&W 6S50MC 11,640 57000 28539 2/E 11-07-2005 12-11-2005 04-02
4 MT RADIANT JEWEL TANKER PACIFIC VLCC SULZER 7RTA84M 35,490 310000 1,56,408 2/E 17-07-2003 08-01-2004 05-22
5 MT FAIRWAY TANKER PACIFIC CRUDE TANKER B&W 6S70MC 15,420 160000 80,130 2/E 03-11-2002 15-04-2003 05-13
6 MT REGENT SEA TANKER PACIFIC CRUDE TANKER B&W 6L70MC 17,370 100000 50,049 2/E 12-05-2002 19-08-2002 03-08
7 MV DARYA GEETH CHELLARAM BULK CARRIER B&W 6S60MC 11,800 77000 38,632 2/E 10-05-2001 28-11-2001 06-19
8 MV DARYA GEETH CHELLARAM BULK CARRIER B&W 6S60MC 11,800 77000 38,632 3/E 06-10-2000 01-03-2001 04-26
9 MT CENTENNIAL JEWEL TANKER PACIFIC VLCC MITSUBISHI 7UEC75LS-II 23,200 271000 137728 3/E 25-06-1999 22-11-1999 04-27
10 MT TRITON TANKER PACIFIC CRUDE TANKER B&W 6S60MC 16,880 118000 59,081 3/E 21-07-1998 08-12-1998 04-13
11 MT EMERALD STAR TANKER PACIFIC CRUDE TANKER KAWASAKI MAN V52/55 12,660 74000 37,039 3/E 06-11-1997 26-04-1998 05-10
12 MT BERING SEA TANKER PACIFIC CRUDE TANKER B&W 6L60MC 14,160 107000 53,639 3/E 09-11-1996 14-04-1997 05-05
13 MT ANDAMAN SEA TANKER PACIFIC CRUDE TANKER SULZER 6RLA90 20,400 106000 53,287 4/E 05-05-1996 19-09-1996 05-14
14 MT EMERALD SEA TANKER PACIFIC CRUDE TANKER SULZER 7RND68 12,660 74000 37,039 4/E 14-03-1996 24-04-1996 01-10
15 MT CONFIDENCE DENHOLM PRODUCT TANKER B&W 5L60MC 10,258 45000 22,607 4/E 28-06-1995 02-12-1995 05-04
16 MT JEROME DENHOLM CRUDE TANKER B&W 10K84EF 22,700 1,36,100 65,259 J/E 09-09-1994 14-04-1995 06-05
17 TT MEDIA STAR DENHOLM ULCC STEAM TURBINE 45,000 4,10,000 1,93,778 4/E 25-01-1994 21-04-1994 02-26
18 TT ALKI DENHOLM VLCC STEAM TURBINE 32,400 2,33,200 1,14,075 4/E 25-03-1993 20-10-1993 06-25
19 TT ALKI DENHOLM VLCC STEAM TURBINE 32,400 2,33,200 1,14,075 J/E 04-05-1992 06-12-1992 07-02