I have an ocean engineering and environmental science background with 25 years experience in the commercial / research diving field
I am seeking a diving / Deckhand position where my background will be both utilized and challenged
Liberty International Underwriters September 2007 – March 2008
Marine Engineer: Maritime claims specialist
• Surveyed damaged vessels to determine cause.
• Created and maintained inventory of dive supplies.
• Ran safety drills governed under the U.S. Coast Guard requirements.
• Prepared presentations on diving safety and proper procedures.
• Prepared documents for upper management meetings as part of on going projects.
Zurich, North America Project for EPA May 2007 - June 2007
Engineer Level 2, Sub-Surface Environmental
• Special project for Environmental impact for New York and New Jersey Harbor’s.
• Duties included but were not limited to Chart reading, report scanning,
• Testing of core samples and timber construction changes.
• Part of engineering crew to change Environmental policies and procedures.
United States Environmental Protection Agency August 1993 – May 2007
Master diver, environmental diver:
• Documented and maintained active dive logs
• Converted standardized NOAA charts to sectional charts to illustrate recommended mapping procedures
• Conducted and supervised ocean survey vessels hull inspections and bottom surveys of New York and New Jersey Harbors
• Maintained and documented screw and pin inspections, zinc removal and replacements
• Integrated the use of underwater video & stills photography to document shoreline erosion
• Assisted in the collection of specimens from ocean floor and core sampling
• Conducted inspections of water tanks and commercial AC cooling tank for evaluation of contaminants.
• Motivated Super Fund project to include Long Island Sound shoreline to determine environmental impact
• Recorded and documented coral heads re-growth studies of US Virgin Islands utilizing magnetic fields
• Created and Prepared presentation documents utilizing MS Word 2003 & PowerPoint on shoreline erosion
• Conducted evaluation dives obtaining evidence of illegal offshore dumping for litigation action
• Provided phone support to consumer question line, answering questions concerning environmental issues
New York Aquarium: Volunteer diver November 2004 – August 2006
Member of Volunteer Dive team.
Duties included Internal cleaning of exhibit tanks, educating the public about the New York aquarium, the exhibits
And talking about the environment. And the Conservation society and it’s mission.
Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute September 1985 – June 1993
Responsibilities included but were not limited to, collecting samples and assisted in U/W filming.
Member of Alvin submersible recovery team, performed pre-dive equipment checklist, on board lab assistant.
Murphy Pacific Marine Salvage, NY, Texas, California 1985 -1986
Salvage diver, off shore oil field diver:
Conducted non-destructive testing and large-scale salvage operations overseas
International Underwater Contractors, Inc. September 1977 – September 1985
Salvage diver, off shore oil field diver:
Conducted large-scale underwater operations both domestic and overseas.
Technical Career Institute, New York, NY August 1998
Associates Degree in Computer Science
City College of New York June 1978
Bachelor of Science Degree, Ocean Engineering
Divers Training Academy, Fort Piece, Fla.
Master Diver Certification, Deep Sea Diver Air/ Mixed Gas January 1979
ADC, International: Commercial Air Diver: Certification # 16042,
SSI: 5000 Open Water Dives Award
United States Environmental Protection Agency Master Diver,
Commercial diver: Deep Sea Air/ Mixed Gas,
EPA, Environmental Diver
NOAA, Hazmat Diver
NASA, Weightless Simulation test tank diver
First Aid / CPR
DAN, PADI, AZA, AAUS, Shark research Institution, Ocean Conservatory, REEF
EQUIPMENT/ Skills EXPERIENCE:
o Underwater rigging
o Under water photography
o Pier Inspection
o Hull inspection
o Pipeline inspection
o Salvage experience
Surface supplied hats: Kirby Morgan Super Lite 17, 26, 27, MK 5, Desco, Advanced hat, demand masks, AGA, EXO-26
SCUBA, chamber operations, Remote Operated Vehicles (ROV’s).
I live on Staten Island, NY and have done extensive hull and pier inspections in and around the area's waters
Also have inspection experience for marine insurance.