- Shipboard Officer / Personnel / Crew
I have just completed a three-year deck cadetship with Anglo Eastern UK and PIL Shipping. Within this three years I was at Warsash Maritime Academy studying Nautical Science to HND level and gained my Mates/Masters exemptions. I spent 12 months at sea aboard 3 PIL Container Vessels in the Kota line over three 4 month periods:
PACIFIC INTERNATIONAL LINES July 2015 - November 2015
Deck Cadet, M.V. Kota Jati, Container Vessel, 18,502GT, Indian Ocean
- Performed eight hour daily watchkeeping duties on passage including monitoring bridge systems and updating requisite bridge publications;
- Conducted weather observations and reports and co-ordinated daily toolbox talks;
- Assumed the role of onboard escort for International Safety Management audits;
- Directed weekly safety drills including: abandon ship, fire-fighting, enclosed space entry, man over board and steering gear failure, and ensured condition of vessel’s life-saving appliances and fire-fighting equipment;
- Managed aft mooring station for arrival and departure and assisted with pre-loading stability calculations using Loadicator computer programme.
PACIFIC INTERNATIONAL LINES January 2015 - May 2015
Deck Cadet, M.V. Kota Juta, Container Vessel, 18,502GT, Indian Ocean
- Performed eight hour daily watchkeeping duties on passage, monitored bridge systems, conducted weather observations and reports;
- Received Pilot on board and directed anchor station; acted as onboard escort for International Safety Management audits; ensured condition of vessel’s life-saving appliances and fire-fighting equipment; assisted with delivery of weekly safety drills and maintained anti-piracy watch and procedures when in affected areas.
PACIFIC INTERNATIONAL LINES December 2013 - April 2014
Deck Cadet, M.V. Kota Jaya, Container Vessel, 18,502GT, Pacific Ocean
- Fulfilled six hour daily watchkeeping duties on passage; assisted at mooring and anchor stations, provided deck maintenance services;
- Acted as onboard escort for Port State Inspection for US Coastguard and Australian Maritime Safety Authority;
- Gained steering certificate in open sea, coastal passages and under pilotages.
Since completing my cadetship I have attended and completed a DP Operator Induction course with Kongsberg. I have my DP Log book which now requires two 60-day sea periods for me to finish the course and qualify as an Unlimited DPO.