- Project Engineering / Project Management
Bachelor of Marine Engineering (1975)
A construction position with an emphasis on steel fabrication management. A position where I can reduce cost and improve profitability by utilizing my education, organizational and communication skills combined with my technical and hands on knowledge gained from my field and design experience on a wide range of steel construction projects from supply vessels, drill rigs, pressure vessels and a lock & dams project.
MOST RECENT EXPERIENCE:
Organization: Zentech, Inc.
Position Held: Construction Manager/Senior Piping Checker
Duration: 2006 – October 2014
- Conduct inspections and field surveys of existing drilling rigs and to provide guidance for structural, piping and mechanical systems upgrades and modifications for platform, semi-submersible and jack-up rigs and drill ships.
- Advise on equipment inspections and coordinate with owners’ representatives to guide pipe designers in the development of piping system drawings and the review of MTOs for various drill rigs
- In addition to helping develop and check and P&ID drawings, 3D models and arrangement drawings for piping systems using CADWorx/AutoCAD design software I work with various DNV and ABS Class representatives to expedite Class approval of P&ID piping systems’ drawings.
- BOSIET, TWIC, Cards & Passport
- BP’s ‘License To Go’ Card
Organization: Ingalls Shipbuilding, Saudi Aramco, McDermott Shipyard Group, Atlantic Marine, Halter Marine, Ocean Development Company, Leevac Shipyard & Cook Claims Service
Duration: 1975 – 2006
Position Held: Project Manager, Repair Estimator, Construction Manager, Field Engineer & Piping System Designer & Senior Checker
- For these 31+ years I have worked in the marine construction environment, and have been involved with oilfield, commercial and naval new construction and repair projects involving steel fabrication & renewal, piping systems, dry dockings, machinery and outfitting. Listed below are my previous employers with duties & responsibilities. In addition to these jobs I have occasionally worked as a marine consultant while between jobs.
PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE (Continued):
- As a Project Manager for Atlantic Marine and Leevac Shipyard I had the responsibility for the construction of a variety of steel tugboats, oil field and fishing vessels. I conducted structural steel fabrication & welding inspections with ABS inspectors. I evaluated change order requests, established completion schedules based on budgeted man-hours and materials delivery schedules. Provided technical guidance to superintendents throughout the entire construction process. Coordinated outside contractors’ work schedules with the shipyard’s schedules, handled customer relations, ABS and USCG inspections, quality control, and compliance with safety regulations.
- As a Project Manager & Repair Estimator for the McDermott Shipyard Group I managed both repair and new construction projects. I inspected structural steel & mechanical systems on vessels, prepared repair quotes & new construction bids, and evaluated the impact of change order requests on projects’ cost & delivery schedules. Coordinated with outside contractors’ work schedules with the shipyard’s schedules, handled customer relations, completed ABS and USCG Special Surveys, was responsible for quality control, compliance with safety regulations, and provided technical guidance to craft superintendents through-out the construction process. Inspected completed repair jobs, and supervised subcontractors in the installation of their equipment.
- As a Piping Systems Engineer (Cog Engineer) for Ingalls Shipbuilding I was responsible for the development of piping systems’ P&ID drawings for US Naval vessels.
- As a Field Engineer for Ingalls Shipbuilding I provided the construction superintendents with inspection reports for the installation of structural steel and piping systems during the construction of US Naval Vessels and foreign naval Coastal Patrol vessels. I corrected engineering and production errors and omissions on construction drawings in a cost effective manner.
- As a Marine Engineer for Aramco I conducted structural steel & mechanical inspections, estimated cost for required repairs and modifications, budgeted man-hours and planned work schedules. Provided supervisors with technical guidance for work accomplished during scheduled maintenance and emergency repairs. Trained Saudi engineers, and dealt with ABS and Lloyd’s representatives to maintain their vessels’ Class approval.
- Also, I briefly worked for the shipyard in the Port of Dammam assisting them in obtaining Aramco certification & for Lear Siegler Services at the Naval Base in Jeddah as a consultant on the maintenance of Saudi Naval vessels.
- As a Project Manager for Halter Marine I managed the construction of the $8,500,000 ‘E-Cat’ prototype low wake steel passenger ferry and dealt with ABS Class, conducted structural steel fabrication & welding inspections and dealt with superintendents, engineers and sub-contractors on a daily basis. I also worked with Middle East clients on proposals for the construction both Military & Commercial vessels.
- As an Owner’s Representative for the Ocean Development Company I was responsible for the inspection of the structural steel hull and its welding and for the inspections of piping systems during the construction of a 1,900 passenger cruise ship being built by Ingalls. I coordinated with the Ingalls QA Department and Class representatives to ensure the machinery was installed and the hull was fabricated & welded to the highest marine standards.
- As a Pipe Designer and Senior Checker at Ingall's Avondale facility I developed and checked '3D' models of piping systems for US Naval vessels.
- As a Marine Surveyor for Cook Claims Service I conducted marine vessel surveys, heavy equipment and structural steel inspections and maritime consultations. I differentiated between collision and pre-collision damages, verified the scope of structural & mechanical damages and determined fair and reasonable valuations for the completion of marine steel repairs and worked with claim managers and owners of insured vessels and equipment to insure fast and equitable resolution of insurance claims.