My objective is to work with the organization for long term and to grow with organization while helping the company’s business to progressively grow to its zenith with my Finance and Strategy skills learned in MBA together with professional expertise from shipping.
1.Presently working as Operations Manager with Intertek Testing Services, Hong Kong a subsidiary of Intertek group, public listed entity in London Stock Exchange. (April 2006- Present)
· Directly reporting to General Manager, Hong Kong and PRC region under Group Vice President.
· Managing the overall inspection services for Marine, Petroleum oil, Chemical and Agriculture Operations in Hong Kong and PRC with team of 80 to 100 people under sub departments with senior supervisors including Business Development.
· To provide technical advice to underwriters, brokers and claims departments regarding scope of insurance policy coverage, interpretation of wordings and applications including implementation and control as we are on the panel of world’s lead underwriters and insurance companies to ascertain and adjust the loss in case of any damage to the insured cargo/ships.
· To formulate and achieve the budget to meet the company objectives of growth, market and profitability including managing operations within agreed level of expenditures.
· Continuously monitoring the market trends and changes including technological development so as to continuously meet the pace with changing business environment.
· Select, train and develop personnel to caliber necessary to meet the current and long term needs of organization.
2. Master (Captain of Ship) and Navigating Officer:(1992-2005)
Companies: A.P. Moller, Singapore, Fleet Management, Hong Kong, Golden Crown Shipping Company, Dubai and Varun Shipping, India
· Overall responsibility of safe navigation, communication, cares of personnel, ship and cargo on board
· Cost benefit analysis for the vessel and budget management.
· Monitoring & implementation of PMS & QMS
1.Master of Business Administration (September, 2005-September, 2006) from University of Hong Kong, ranked no.1 in Asia Pacific region by economist and 39th MBA college in the world
·Specialization in Finance and Strategy with electives on Supply Chain Management and Market Research Analysis.
2.Bachelor of Nautical Science (June, 1989 to July 1992) - (First class with Distinction) –University of Mumbai, India
·In-depth knowledge of Shipping, ranging from construction of ships (Naval Architecture), to carriage of cargo, chartering and operations of various type of vessel.
·In-depth knowledge of Multi-modal transportation system and trade management.
1.Certificate of Competency as Master Mariner (Foreign Going) –October, 2000
(Issued by Ministry of Transport, Government of India)
2.Certificate of Competency as Chief Navigation Officer (Foreign Going) –December, 1996
(Issued by Ministry of Transport, Government of India.)
3.Certificate of Competency as 2nd Navigation Officer (Foreign Going) –April 1994
(Issued by Ministry of Transport, Government of India.)
4.Bachelor of Science (Nautical Science) from T.S. Rajendra (Presently T.S.Chanakya), under University of Mumbai in June, 1992- First class with Distinction -74%
Commenced: August 1989
Completed: July 1992
Finance skills: Corporate Finance, Project Finance and Advanced financial management with valuation and M & A.
Market Research Analysis: Proficient in using SPSS technology for analyzing market trend and forecast for decision support in developing sustainable strategy and its implementation.
1.Operational and commercial knowledge of Crude Oil Tankers, VLCC, Product Tankers and Chemical Tankers of various sizes such as Suezmax, Panamax, Aframax and Handymax.
2.Detailed understanding of Marine insurance, Maritime Law and Ship’s Business as Part of Curriculum in Bachelor degree, followed with 14 years of extensive practice in shipping.
3.In-depth knowledge of General average, total loss, constructive loss and valuation apportionment.
4.Knowledge of various charter parties such as Bareboat, Time, Voyage and Spot charters. Maritime Law, Marine insurance including calculation of lay days, T/C equivalent, demurrage and of various STC’s (Standard Trading and Chartering Terms and conditions)
5.Naval architecture (Ship-construction), Marine Engineering and Control System, Marine Communication and Ship’s Navigation. Knowledge of various marine cargoes shipped by ships.
Professional accomplishments as Operation Manager:
· Successfully implemented change management, achieved forecasted revenue target for year 2006 due to strategic deployment of resources, business development and teamwork.
· Implemented SOPs (standard operating procedures) and incentive linked (KPI) Key Performance Indicators for each sub unit with Balance scorecard evaluation system and tremendous improvement witnessed in mindset of people and maximized the resource utilization of the company.
· Led business development for the company and made new contacts with world’s major P&I clubs, shipping companies, freight forwarding companies and logistic companies.
· Developed and recommended improved pricing policy and structures in order to meet the company profit targets.
Professional accomplishments as Master (Captain):
· Handled fully automated VLCC and Product Tankers including cargo operations while working at Maersk Line, Singapore.
· Led and handled many adverse situations at sea to save the vessel and lives on board including cargoes worth of several millions of dollar.
· Led shipboard initiative to re-engineer procurement strategy for company-wide ship-supplies. Guided department heads (Deck and Engine Departments) to collect relevant historical data on costs & quality and to conduct fact based analyses.
· Implemented Total Quality Management system and International Standards (ISO 9001,ISO 14001) for Operational business processes.
· Performed various AUDITS for the vessels: checking compliance with the company budget & compliance with the international rules & regulations.