coating engineer/quality management
- Shoreside Operations
DAVID IONS (PQCI TQMP CQMSS)
40A Warwick Road, Redcar, Cleveland, TS10 2BH
07816 776839 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Quality-driven coating, engineering/quality management professional with 20+ years of combined experience working in onshore and offshore platforms for a wide range of oil / gas companies. Equipped with a strong background leading full project lifecycles, encompassing coordination of multidisciplinary teams dedicated to efficiency, safety, regulatory compliance, and quality. Blends extensive practice with certifications in quality management, project management, quality assurance, quality control, insulation and cathodic protection:.
- Controlled multimillion-dollar budgets while delivering projects in alignment with specifications.
- Achieved savings through cost-effective coating options, and optimised surface protections through formulation of coating / insulation procedures for engineering as well as front-end engineering and design (FEED).
- Ensured adherence to standards and project specifications through strategic allocation of $6M budget for coating and insulation functions at Hebron GBS Canada (Kvaerner).
- Slashed costs at Hebron GBS Canada (Kvaerner) $4M by recommending coating changes based on expert evaluation of all options.
- Elevated surface protection via creation of procedures and specifications for coating and insulation operations focused on Engineering and Front-End Engineering and Design (FEED) as well as construction change as part of Hebron GBS, Sakhalin 1 GBS, Beothunk Energy Wind Turbine Projects.
Coating Engineering (Piping / Pipeline/Tank lining) | Quality Management | Risk Mitigation | Team Coordination I QA/QC I
Inspections | Budgeting | Supplier Relations | Stakeholder Management | Audits |Construction Management
Fire Protection | Solutions Development | Energy and Industrial Platforms (Standards / Regulations)
Risk Management| Scheduling | Corrosion Protection | Multicultural Teams | Contractor Relations | Training
Engineering Specialties: Sub-Sea, Umbilical, Riser, Flowline (S.U.R.F) Insulation, Atmospheric Coatings; Cryogenic, Neoprene, and Sub-Sea Wet Insulation; Fireproofing, Thermal Spray Application, LNG, and Petrochemical Projects
Kvaerner, Beothunk Energy, Knowledge Ridge Consultancy, HKA Global Ltd, Giolex Global Inc.
Coating Engineer (Consultant) 01.2015-Present
Deliver expert consulting services to organisations, specialising in coating engineering – contributing to policies / procedures implementation, investigations, projects, procurement, construction, risk management, and maintenance functions.
- Giolex Global Inc. – Technical Writer (Montreal, Canada): Ensured compliance with Canadian and international standards (ISO, NACE, SSPC ASME, NORSOK, WHIMS, EPS, CAN / CSA, and CCOHS) via thorough analysis of paint materials. Authored MTDS and MSDS and marketing design information for specific paint as well as coating materials –distributed to Canadian and global consumers complying with safety regulations and international standards.
- HKA Global Ltd – Expert Witness: Completed investigations focused on failure analysis of coating insulation-related projects valued from $100K-$2M across domestics and overseas platforms.
- Beothuk Energy – NewFoundland Wind Turbine Project Advisor: Delivered expert recommendations regarding coating materials following close review of FEED and material documentation. Formulated cost and time saving strategies for design / development of turbines coating systems.
- Knowledge Ridge Consultancy – Consultant: Collaborated with independent clientele on procurement operations in the areas of management, technical, and material requirements for multinational projects valued between £5M - £12M.
- Kvaerner – Consultant: Hebron GBS – Counselled Civil / Concrete Department regarding moisture extraction and heating units for coating epoxy membrane to internal surfaces of concrete cell walls in the GBS during severe weather conditions. Designed abrasive blast cleaning and painting facility for Murmansk GBS Project, which was forecasted to generate major cost savings through material and heating reclaim systems as well as transport time and labour expenditures through enhanced logistics.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE continued
Kiewit-Kvaerner Contractors – Hebron GBS
Surface Protection Preparation Specialist 01.2012-12.2014
Supported multiple departments as Coatings/Quality Management / Specialist, including: Engineering, Procurement, Contracts, Quality, Site Construction HR and Prefabrication, spanning ~100 staff with project valued at $16B and a coatings budget of $6M.
- Mitigated a $4M cost reduction following reassessment of the coating system “Thermal Sprayed Aluminium” to main shaft steel work. This included pre-fabrication facilities and site application.
- Led coating operations on ExxonMobil’s Hebron GBS project in Canada. Generated strategic plans and effectively allocated as well as coordinated resources to ensure compliance with production objectives
- Optimised adherence to health / safety and fire regulations as well as working procedures through optimal management of risk strategies and route cause analysis.
- Supervision/Quality Management of Coating Inspectors ,Coating Supervisors and Coating personnel.
- Facilitated construction and design of site through application of advanced expertise in coating and insulation.
- Elevated quality management, control, and assurance of coating and sub-sea insulation production via testing and audits prior to material acceptance.
- Led continuous delivery of surface protection products and materials on time and in alignment with specifications through overall management of logistics, procurement, and traceability.
- Oversaw application of epoxy membrane to internal surface of concrete shaft walls, leading completion ahead of schedule, without operational interruptions, and within strict budget.
- Functioned as Package Responsible Engineer (PRE) for Coating / Neoprene Sub-Sea in addition to Wet Insulation and field joint coatings operations at Bull Arm Site.
- Boosted quality of reporting and technical requirements through the generating of site documentation encompassing application procedures, work procedures, ITP’s, specifications and standardized reporting formats.
Aker Contracting Russia – Sakhalin 1 GBS
Package Responsible Engineer / Quality Surveillance 07.2010-12.2011
Collaborated with ExxonMobil (Sakhalin 1 GBS) in timely and effective completion of PRE, Quality Management, QS Coating, and Insulation Inspection assignments. Analysed and addressed technical queries, approved designs for implementation (coating, PFP, metallisation, sub-sea neoprene, and thermal / corrosion protection insulation, to Risers and J-Tubes), pre-qualified materials / suppliers, and audited contractors and contractors facilities.
- Ensured optimal TSA thermal spray, coatings, fire proofing, and sub-sea insulation through site quality inspections.
- Achieved savings through effective estimation and calculation of coated materials in alignment with quality standards.
- Worked closely with regulatory agents to establish operational compliance with Russian Federation regulations.
Seaweld Engineering Limited
Coating Consultant 10.2009-11.2009
Teamed up with Hess Offshore on project in Equatorial Guinea, reviewing coating procedures / specs in addition to providing sourcing and procurement expertise (UHP Water Blast Systems / related equipment).
- Orchestrated design and layout of stores and office facilities in alignment with offshore gas location guidelines.
- Thoroughly analysed complete bid, including costs, technical content, material requirements, and appearance.
Aker Contracting – Adriatic GBS
QS Coating Inspector 11.2008-09.2009
Selected to work for ExxonMobil’s Adriatic LNG GBS project in Italy focused on performing pre-qualification and overall auditing of paint / coating contractors and coating systems (CPTs).
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE continued
- Supervised work areas, ensuring timely completion of duties through proper scheduling and prioritisation as well as allocation of up to 40 personnel.
- Identified pipelines for painting activities utilising isometric drawings.
- Completed comprehensive inspections of coating and passive fire proofing (Chartek 7) on GBS offshore.
- Pinpointed defects and areas in need of correction prior to sign-off, implementing coating/risk based corrosion surveys.
- Elevated quality management, and assurance of coating and production via testing, root cause analysis and audits .
Aker Contracting – ExxonMobil, Spain, Adriatic LNG GBS
QS Insulation Inspector (2007-2008)
Drove comprehensive inspections of tank and cryogenic insulation, including fibreglass blanket and attachment. Carried out tank-based cryogenic insulation prior to the installation of main tanks as well as cryogenic and personal protection insulation to top side vessels / pipelines.
Coatings Advisor (1993-2006)
Supported oil terminals, tank farms, tank linings, sub-sea pipelines/field joint coatings, and offshore coating maintenance projects in Nigeria. Managed information and change requests. Ensured compliance with contract and design specifications, organised risk-based corrosion / coating surveys for onshore and offshore facilities, trained personnel on inspections and reporting, audited domestic coating production platforms (material quality, milling capacity, and products), authored coating procedures for ExxonMobil West Africa, and pre-qualified/audited suppliers as well as materials.
Quality Control Ltd
Painting Inspector (1991-1992)
Provided painting inspections in support of Offshore Jacket Fabrication project in Egypt.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT / CERTIFICATIONS
- Chartered Quality Institute Practitioner (CQI) (PCQI)
- Certified Total Quality Management Professional (MSI) (TQMP) ISO 9000
- Certified Quality Management System Lead Specialist (EG/RABQSA) ISO/IEO 17024 2012
- Integrated Management Systems Lead Auditor (EG/RABQSA): ISO 9001 2015
- Project Management Certified (MSI)
- Audit Team Lead ISO 9001 2015;
- Quality Management ISO 9001 2015;
- Environmental ISO 14001 2015;
- Occupational Health AS/NZS 4801/ OSHAS 18001
- Root Cause Analysis 8D Certified (SAI Global)
- Six Sigma Black Belt Certified (MSI)
- Risk Management Certified ISO 31000 (SAI Global)
- Quality Assurance / Quality Control
- Institute of Corrosion (ICorr) Insulation Inspector (Level 2)
- Institute of Corrosion( ICorr) Painting Inspector (Level 2)
- Institute of Corrosion (ICorr) Fire Proofing Inspector (Level 2)
- Steel Structures Painting Council (SSPC) Quality Control Supervisor (QCS)
- C.E.D. Engineering Thermal Spray Technology and Application (T04-002)
- C.E.D. Engineering Constructing and Maintaining Cathodic Protection Systems T02-009
- C.E.D. Engineering – Cathodic Protection Inspection and Testing E05-007
- C.E.D. Engineering – Structures and Properties of Metals T07-001
- City & Guilds Apprenticeship Painter and Decorating
- Tremco/Tretol Application Certificate TRETOPLAST 1040 Hygienic Coating
- Hodge Clemco Specialised Training Abrasive Blast Cleaning certified
- Hodge Clemco Specialised Training Airless Spray Painting certified
- Isokote Fiberglas Internal Tank linings applicator certified