The Maritime Industry has always attracted me, and equipped with 10 years of working experience in government organizations, I am ready to make a career switch to pursue my dream of seeking employment in Maritime. Recognized strengths in customer relations, inventory management, problem solving & trouble-shooting, analytical skills and planning. Fast learner and excellent team player.
Apr 2003 – current
Immigration & Checkpoint Authority
Ministry of Home Affairs
The Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA) is a government agency under the Ministry of Home Affairs. ICA has brought together the former Singapore Immigration & Registration (SIR) and the enforcement work performed by the former Customs & Excise Department (CED) at the various checkpoints. Operational on 1 April 2003, ICA is responsible for the security of Singapore's borders against the entry of undesirable persons and cargo through land, air and sea checkpoints. ICA also performs other immigration and registration functions such as issuing travel documents and identity cards to Singapore citizens and various immigration passes and permits to foreigners. It also conducts operations against immigration offenders.
Immigration & Checkpoint Specialist
· Duties (SUMMARY) include processing of travel documents, advising travelers on the prohibited and restricted goods that are prevented from Singapore, passport clearance inclusive of accessing visa and work eligibilities, cargo clearance including trade matters such as GST, permits and shipping documents.
Nov 1997 – Apr 2003
Customs & Excise Department
Ministry of Finance
Customs & Excise Department or CED is one of the oldest tax-collecting organizations and border protection agencies in Singapore. Established in 1910, the department had undergone numerous changes in its 90 years of history. Duty was first imposed on hard liquors and opium. Over the years, the basket of dutiable goods includes motor vehicles, liquor, tobacco products and petroleum. Besides revenue collection, CED also assists other government departments such as the Central Narcotics Bureau in safeguarding the welfare and security of the nation. On 1st April 1994, a new tax, Goods and Services Tax (GST) was introduced; this further broadened the job scope of CED.
· Duties (SUMMARY) include assisting and educating public/travelers on Goods and Services Tax (GST), profiling and apprehension of potential smugglers and drug peddlers, facilitating trade and clearance of cargo within and in/out of Free Trade Zone.
· Attached to the Investigations Unit for 2 years where the primary role is to charge customs offenders in court.
Mar 1996 - Nov 1997
Singapore Telecommunications Pte Ltd
Attached to a project group that develops softwares for telephony services.
· Duties include categorizing and assigning defects arising from clients to the respective system analysts to be rectified. Handling customers’ complaints and queries and maintaining the project’s library according to the standard set by ISO (International Standard Observation).
· Played a key role in checking and processing the documents that have helped to obtain the ISO 9001 certification.
· Responsible for maintaining monthly statistical reports.
Dec 1989- current
Reserve Unit: 2nd People Defense Force (2PDF)
· Attached to 2PDF as an infantryman specializing in the protection of the borders and territorial islands.
· Trained as a security specialist in protection of key installations such as oil refineries and satellite stations.
Dec 1987 – Dec 1989
Ordnance Supply Base (OSB)
· Trained as an infantry soldier and was attached to the logistics unit that supply and maintain signal and technical communicative equipments.
· Responsible for maintaining and performing quality checks on equipments, and also provide communicative support to troops during military exercises.
Diploma in Business Administration, Vancouver BC, Canada.
GCE “A” Level Certificate, Singapore.
GCE “O” Level Certificate, Singapore.
Conducted by the Civil Service College
· Problem Solving
· Computer Literacy
· Productivity, Quality & Work Economics
· Personal Effectiveness
· Communication & Service
· PS21: Public Contact Course for Frontline Personnel
· PS21: Effective Service Recovery for Frontline Personnel
· Colors of Life – Workshop on Financial Planning
· Personal Confidence through Public Speaking
· Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
Conducted by CREST
· Learning to Learn
Conducted by Ordnance Engineering Training Institute
· Storeman Tech Comms Class II
Possess good computer skills in Windows 2000 NT, Windows XP and Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
English – Spoken & Written
Tamil – Spoken & Written
Malay – Spoken fairly