Chief Officer at GulfMark Offshore
I am an experienced, Merchant Navy Chief Officer with an MCA Chief Mate Unlimited certificate of competency and full DP Operators certificate.
I joined the merchant navy in 2004 through the Clyde Marine cadet training scheme at Glasgow College of Nautical Studies. I completed my training in 2007 and was hired by my sponsoring company, Gulf Offshore North Sea Ltd.
I have been working with the company since qualifying. Building on the experiences from my cadetship, I have served on Anchor Handling and Platform Supply vessels gaining a thorough knowledge of many Offshore Vessel operations, their procedures and the dangers involved. I have learned that throughout every operation it is essential that you become an integral part of the team, plan and communicate well with your colleagues in all departments, to ensure that the highest levels of safety are maintained at all times
From August 2008 until November 2012 I was serving as a 2nd Officer/DPO on-board a PSV vessels in West Africa and the North Sea. During this time I had extensive experience in using the Kongsberg SDP-21 and K-Pos SDP-21 systems for PSV operations as well as assisting the rig with their various transponder deployments. I have 1000+ recorded hours in my IMCA DP log book.
I am an enthusiastic and focused individual and take a very professional approach to my work. I am a keen learner and resourceful when required. I am an active team member, who is not afraid to take command of any situation that I feel is within my ability, or to ask for advice and assistance when it is not. I have no hesitation in stopping a job, and to take a time-out for safety when necessary.
I have experience of working in many different regions of the world including most recently West Africa and the North Sea. I'm always keen to expand my horizons further and welcome any opportunities that may require travelling.
I keep myself physically fit and enjoy running, golf and hillwalking during my time off.
Chief Mate / SDPO at GulfMark Offshore
Aug 2014• Driving mate for the vessel.
• Maintaining a navigational watch.
• Ensuring safe loading of cargos by 2nd Officers.
• Safety officer.
• Carrying out area safety inspections.
• Designated training officer for cadets.
• Upkeep of the vessels Lifting Register, Cargo Securing Manual, Cargo Record Books.
• Carrying out and maintaining record of Onboard Emergency Drills and Training.
• Collating information for the Monthly Safety Officer’s Report, including Safety Inputs.
• Ordering consumables and stores for the vessel.
• Issuing and maintaining PPE stock.
• Maintain stock of chemicals, deck stores and paint stores.
• Planned maintenance using AMOS planned maintenance system.
• Upkeep and review of Risk Assessments held onboard.
• Conducting Safety Meetings and filing minutes.
• Calculating vessels stability for a variety of conditions.
• Upkeep of fabric maintenance.