I would like either full P&L responsibility for a small to mid size marine company or a senior sales and marketing role.
JGS CONSULTING SERVICES, Floyds Knobs, IN; consultative services to individuals and companies seeking to gain and retain customers.
Consultant, 04-2003- Present
MOBEX COMMUNICATIONS INC., Jeffersonville, IN; a $15 million provider of telecommunications products and services with assets valued at $100 million and up to 350 employees.
Vice President - Chief Operating Officer, 08/2000- 04/2003
Managed P&L and direct reports including Marketing/Sales, Customer Service, Human Resources, Finance, IT, and Inventory Control. In charge of an expense budget of up to $10 million annually.
John G. Smith (Page -2)
• Increased efficiency by consolidating multi-state operations into one central headquarters facility.
• Automated wireless systems for accounting and diagnostic functions
• Orchestrated the build-out and construction of newly FAA/FCC licensed two-way land mobile system and initiated and led successful marketing effort.
• Reduced operations budget by over 35% in 2002 and 2003.
• Successfully negotiated major customer contract extensions guaranteeing over 50% in sales income for 02/03.
• Negotiated revenue sharing agreement with Motorola for new two-way dispatch system.
• Developed new human resource manual; implemented mandatory quality and safety training programs.
AMERICAN COMMERCIAL LINES, Jeffersonville, IN; a $900 million domestic and international barging service (200 vessels) providing shipbuilding, terminal/stevedore services, and telecommunication services. ACL was a wholly owned subsidiary of Texas Gas, CSX, and Danielson Holding Corp.
Vice President - General Manager WATERCOM Division, 1993-2000
Managed P&L for the Telecommunication’s unit, including sales and marketing. Led major reengineering effort to reorganize company and establish new process improvements to achieve strong financial performance. Controlled and managed operating budgets of up to $8 million annually and directed 40 employees. Supervised new construction of additional tower sites to increase coverage area to over 4000 miles of waterways to grow sales opportunities. Reported to the CFO.
• Increased revenue by over 300% in three years (approximately up to $13 million annually). Company lost $3.7 million prior to my tenure.
• Positioned company as #1 provider of telecommunications services for niche market in three years.
• Drove 325% growth in operating income in five years.
• Reduced costs by 40% in first years through reengineering effort.
• Reduced requirement for full time staff by 70% through process improvements and quality program.
• Introduced 24x7 Customer Service Center.
• Implemented safety program, which resulted in over eight years without a recordable injury ; National Award.
• Instituted Management by Objectives and Crosby Quality program as well as the Dupont Chemical Safety program, which saved up to $1.5 million annually.
• Orchestrated sale of the Division to Mobex Communications Inc. for cash and stock.
Vice President- Sales and Marketing, 1987-1993
Responsible for P&L and formulation and execution of all sales and marketing programs. Managed all technical and service related activities for the company including the installation of over 1000 units on vessels, maintenance of 54 tower installations, and customer service related activities. Managed budgets of $3+ million annually and twenty direct reports. Reported to the President of WATERCOM.
• Turned $3.7 million loss in December 1987 into a profit within less than three years.
• Led dynamic sales & marketing program, which increased unit sales by over 500% in three years and achieved over a 90% market penetration within five years.
• Introduced new products and services to include fax, personal calling services using credit cards, direct dial voice, end-to-end data services, satellite TV systems, and emergency calling services for passenger vessels.
• Established high quality 24x7 Customer Service and National Operations Center.
• Implemented system-wide dealer support network for sales and service.
QSMI Consultants, Florham Park, NJ, President, 1986-1987; ITT Mackay Marine, Elizabeth, NJ, Director of Marketing, 1984-1986; Sencorp, New Smyrna Beach, FL, Senior Vice President, 1983-1984; Krupp Atlas Elektronik, Rahway, NJ, General Manager, 1980-1983
MBA, Fordham University, New York
BA, St. Peter’s College, New Jersey
Crosby Quality College, Dupont Safety Training
P&L• Budgeting• Cross Functional Team Leadership • Product Management/Marketing • Customer Service • Advertising/Public Relations • Reengineering/Turnaround Management• Vision Building and Execution • Mergers and Acquisitions • New Product Development • Region & Territory Management • Key Account & National Account Management • Sales Training and Team Building • New Product Launches • Competitive Market Share• Competitive Product Positing• Dealer Network Sales Development• Customer Relationship Management• Coaching, Mentoring, & Incentive Development