- Shipboard Officer / Personnel / Crew
Licensed Engineer, retired after 20 years as an Engineer in the U.S Coast Guard seeking a Chief Engineer opportunity. Current experience includes civilian tug boats for the last 13 years. Possess extensive training and hands-on experience in all aspects of operations, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of all shipboard systems both main propulsion and auxiliary. Consistent track record of completing projects in an accurate, timely manner.
Technical expertise includes:
- EMD, Caterpillar, Detroit, John Deere, Alco, Cummins and Paxman engines.
- Jastrom, and Kobelt electronic control systems
- Sinex maintenance tracking program.
- DDE unlimited horsepower license
- Full STCW qualification and TWIC
- STCW: Basic and Advanced Shipboard Firefighting, Basic safety training ,Proficiency in survival craft, lifeboatman, Medical first aid provider, Vessel Personnel with Designated Security Duties Engineering resource management, Leadership and team working skills
- Military and civilian training: Advanced Shipboard Damage Control, Caterpillar Factory 3500 series and 3300 series Master mechanic, Paxman Engine service technician, Areil Compressor Factory service technician Naval Gas Free Engineer(Marine Chemist) Hydraulic Systems maintenance and repair, Waste Heat recovery, Aviation Fuel Handling and Transfer, Propulsion Monitoring and control console, Team Coordination and Safety
HP, AUGUST 2004 – PRESENT
- Responsible for several Tugs 1800 to 4500
- In charge of the operation, maintenance, troubleshooting and repair of all main propulsion, auxiliary and deck machinery.
- Work closely with Port Engineers and shipyard personnel in planning and overseeing repairs completed during routine and unscheduled dry docking.
- Ensure that annual and 5 yr ABS inspections were completed successfully on numerous vessels.
- Oversee the completion and commissioning of a newly built tug, ensuring that all systems passed sea trials.
- Oversee the outfitting of this boat and served as the engineer when she was put in to service.
- Rebuild Main Engines and generators and replace generator sets.
- Overhaul auxiliary pumps and valves, as well as Main engine pumps.
- Rebuild air compressors and all air control system components for propulsion and tow winches.
- Troubleshoot and correct electronic faults in Jastrom steering and Kobelt throttle control system.
- Rebuild hydraulic steering system components and replaced faulty steering rams.
- Replace tow winch transmission and rebuilt winch drive system.
- Rebuild tow winch brake actuators and relined brake bands.
- Install R/O water maker system. Design and install a salt water flush toilet system to increase the operational range of the vessel.
- Oversee the design and installation of new piping system, to allow the vessel to retain all grey water to be in compliance with zero discharge regulations.
- Plan and oversee all preparations for numerous long distance trips and serve as the only engineer aboard the vessel for trips from the East Coast of the U.S. to Peru, Guatemala, Haiti, California, Canada and a 12,000 mile round trip from Boston to Mangalia Romania.
U.S. COAST GUARD
- Served on 7 ships from 3500hp to 7300hp
- Served 20 years as an Engineer in the Coast Guard.
- Attained the rank of E-7, Chief Machinery Technician.
- Completed all aspects of the operation, including maintenance troubleshooting and repair of shipboard machinery and systems both Main Propulsion and Auxiliary.
- Responsible for overseeing the entire operation of my division in Senior Engineer and Division Head role.
- Trained, supervised, and evaluated personnel assigned to my division.
- Led planning and overseeing of all maintenance and repair of the machinery aboard the vessel.
- Served as a lead member of the Engineering, Damage Control and Fire Fighting Training teams.
- Participated in both routine and emergency dry dock repair periods on all my vessels. Involved in all aspects of these repair periods, from inspecting and quality control as a junior engineer to the planning and overseeing of the entire repair period as the Engineering officer.
Systems Maintained and Repaired:
- Main diesel engines ,gasoline engines, gas turbines ,reduction gears, electrical generator, emergency generators, electrical power distribution switchboards, oily water separators, fuel, lube and hydraulic centrifugal purifiers, waste heat recovery and boilers, hydraulic/pneumatic control systems, controllable pitch propeller systems, hydraulic steering and fin stabilizer systems.
- Weight handling and boat davits, deck machinery winches and anchor handling equipment, potable water evaporators and reverse osmosis units, ships potable water storage and service systems, ships sewage handling systems, aviation fuel handling, testing and transfer equipment, all cooling, transfer and circulation pumps, ships small boats, galley equipment, as well as many others.
- DDE unlimited 13 years by 2005
- MEECE May 2018
- ERM Dec 2017
- Medical first aid provider Oct 2016