- Sales / Marketing
December 2003 through July 2016: L-3 Communications Henschel
Provide Ship Control, Navigation Communications, Monitoring & Sensor products to USN, USCG and select international platforms; Positions Held includes: Sales & Marketing Manager (2 yrs), Business Development (11 yrs) inclusive of Project and Proposal Management.
Responsibilities: Identify and develop new pursuits & strategic relationships with partners and develop new customers in support of DoD opportunities. Lead development of new business opportunities supportive of overall growth strategy. Participate in the development of strategic plans and identification of strategic acquisitions. Develop & Execute Capture Plans, Manage Pipeline, Create & Maintain Market/Customer Road Maps and support product development teams to implement business development initiatives, inclusive of development & implementation of Business Capture, Sales Funnel and Proposal Management processes. I created and applied Customer Roadmaps and Product Roadmap outlines with market, customer needs, competitive Intel and target pricing for use by product managers to align product development plans
Manage DoD Business Development Life Cycle, capture team activities, develop & execute proposal process, manage all proposal development through production and on-time delivery, including win strategies, proposal outline, editing, graphics, while continuously monitoring quality & configuration mgmt to ensure quality & compliance develop, identify key subcontractors & develop subcontractor selection criteria and work share in response to US Navy RFP/RFQ/RFI’s (i.e. NAVSEA, SPAWAR, USCG, MSC, Prime Contractors, etc.) with full Section L requirements for shipboard electronic systems including design of hardware, software, testing, environmental qualification inclusive of engineering development models, pre-production units and LRIP/FRP for multiple systems and naval platforms including but not limited to the following: DDG-1000 Integrated Navigation Bridge, CVN-78 Steering Gear Control System, GPS aided Position, Navigation & Timing System (GPNTS), DDG-51 Hybrid Electric Drive Electric Propulsion System, MSC and USCG Machinery Plant Control & Monitoring System Upgrades. (Contract value range: $2M-100M)
Key Accomplishments: Increased DoD market share through wins on multiple platforms including DDG-51, LCS2, DDG-1000, CVN-78, LSD, and USCG NSC & FRC-B for: 1) DDG-51 Hybrid Electric Drive, 2) LCS2 Ship Control Console (SCC) & Multifunction and Mission Package Consoles; 3) DDG-1000 Integrated Navigation Bridge, CAPS-IAC and Indicating & Ordering Equipment; 4) CVN-78 Steering Gear Control and Alarm & Announcing Systems; 5) LSD 41-49 Digital Ship Control System Mid Life Upgrade; 6) Alarm & Announcing Systems for USCG National Security Cutter and FRC-B; 7) RAN-LHD Broadcast, Alarm & Announcing System.
Other responsibilities include: BD budget tracking and reporting, market & opportunity research, draft press releases, develop marketing materials, develop & launch new website, participate in trade shows & events, provide timely reports to management on market events, new pursuits and pipeline status.
November 2000 – July 2003: Marotta Controls, Inc.
Business Development Manager - Marine Applications - Responsible for management of multiple functions as related to surface and subsurface platforms of US Navy and various international combatants. Typical duties involve: Develop new sales opportunities and manage all marine sales activities for both new and existing products and/or engineering services to government agencies or private firms and shipyards doing government business. Develop and achieve both short-and long-range sales and related objectives and recommend goals to higher management. Maintain key sales contacts with both domestic and foreign civilian and military personnel. Matrix manage marine team, consisting of Engineering Manager, Cost Estimating Manger, Contracts Manager, Insides Sales and customer service reps. Assist in advertising campaigns and promotional activities, advise higher management on status or action required in connection with existing and potential sales programs. Represent the company to government agencies and private firms doing government business. Participate in marketing strategies and business planning. Historical annual sales has been on the average of $12 million and during my 2 year tenure our naval sales volume grew by greater than 40%. My most significant accomplishment was to close the largest single sales order in the company’s 60-year history worth $6.5 million with follow-on sales of $6 million.
In this position I worked closely with Hamilton Sundstrand located in Winsor Locks CT and a primary supplier of theirs, Treadwell). I coordinated the development of a new business opportunity and supported engineering efforts to design and develop multiple valve related products in support of their oxygen generating systems fielded on the US Navy subsurface fleet.
1980 - 2000 RAYTHEON MARINE COMPANY
Government Programs Manager (5 Years)
Manage and negotiate GSA contracts for all products. Oversee and guide government sales team. Supervise contract administration and customer service personnel. Develop forecasts for five-year plan and update rolling 12-month forecasts.
• Manage $7.0 million in government sales
• Manage GSA Contracts and Basic Order Agreements (BOA)
Review and respond to RFPs, RFQs, IFBs, SOWs, etc.
• Prepare proposals for special programs, including pricing development, technical proposal in accordance with SOW and government contract requirements (FAR).
• Develop and implement parts pricing policy to ensure margin targets are met for existing and new parts.
• Initiate new product type code system to facilitate logical relationship to finished goods/product line.
• Obtain approval for new product additions to GSA contracts.
• Incorporate products to "GSA Advantage" e-commerce web site.
• Obtain orders from various radar systems for numerous DOT/MARAD, USCG, USN, USA, and NOAA vessels.
Senior Sales Engineer (5 years)
Managed major government accounts for all products. Provided technical and sales engineering services to same accounts. Worked closely with engineering department to develop proposals based on RFQs, RFPs, IFBs per SOWs and followed up with technical engineering services as required. Attended exhibits and provide technical training. Provide forecast input.
• Obtained U.S. Coast Guard navigation package contract for 47' motor lifeboat and 49' buoy/utility boat. Order value: $2.2 million.
• Obtained U.S. Coast Guard navigation packages for 87' coastal patrol boat. Order value: $2.0 million.
• Managed contract for Communications Console for DOT, Maritime Administration. Order value: $1.8 million.
• Proposed, developed, and delivered prototype Airport Surface Detection Equipment (ASDE) for FAA and India. Order value: $0.5 million.
• Produced AN/SPS-69 radar training course, video and Oversee development of Mist-standard Technical Manuals.
Sales Engineer (5 Years)
Provided technical sales engineering services to government agencies. Obtained orders and coordinated and supervised deliveries, installation and services. Worldwide travel to promote customer support and provide technical training.
• Project Manager for India Airport Surface Detection System in Bombay and New Delhi. Value: $3.5 million.
• Designed, proposed, and delivered Malaysian Vessel Traffic System and directed installation and certification. Value: $3.0 million.
• Obtained multiple contracts from U.S. Coast Guard HQ for navigation products. Value: $3.0 million.
• Managed contracts for Delaware Pilots Association for vessel traffic system.
• Obtained contract from Sealand Shipping Company for satellite communications terminal. Value: $0.6 million.
• Supported Lockheed Sanders Egyptian Coastal Surveillance Program. (Letter of thanks from VP available.)
• Sold, delivered, supervised installation of vessel traffic system in Panama Canal.
Senior Field Engineer (3 Years)
Travel domestically and worldwide in support of marine navigation systems on board commercial and government vessels inclusive of: technical, sales & service support to dealer networks, military technicians and commercial vessel owners & operators around the world. This support included formal operation and maintenance training in classroom/lab and on-site worldwide.
• Modified/redesign & document radar power supply to correct chronic failures.
• Developed training course for radar system and supporting manuals
• Supervised complete installation of radar training lab for Philippine Navy in Manila.
Field Engineer / Product Support Specialist / Instructor (2 Years)
Provided field service for marine navigation systems. Provided installation certification and on-board & classroom operator training. Drafted field bulletins, technical manuals (commercial & mil-std), training manuals, and produced training videos.
• Certified AN/SPS-64 (V) 9 radar systems installations on board U.S. Navy vessels.
• Updated existing installations to incorporate mandatory upgrades.
• Qualified as Instructor for AN/SPS-64 radar system.
• Successfully resolved high-profile product failures on board various vessels.
1972 - 1982 U.S. COAST GUARD
Electronics Technician (ET1 at separation)
• Supply Center Modular Repair Branch
• Search and Rescue Support Stations
• LORAN Duty; overseas two tours
• Electronics Training Center
• USCGC Mackinaw
B.S. in Business Administration (3.76 GPA) June 2000
University of New Hampshire, College for Lifelong Learning
10 years direct experience Writing and managing DoD proposals
Counselor Sales Training
Various Raytheon Product Training (Certificates available)
USCG AN/SPS-64 Radar Training
FCC General Radiotelephone License
Various technical schools for marine electronic systems (Certificates available)
LORAN A&C Schools, Basic & Advanced
Electronic Technician “A” School, USCG
PC, MS Office, E-Mail, Internet, FEDBIZOPS, Contact Management, Communications, Customer Relations, Business Development, Proposal & Project Managegment, Training, Government: Sales, RFPs, RFQs, IFB, GSA, GSA Advantage, FAR, ITAR.
- General Radiotelephone license w/Radar Endorsement Jan 1985