Director of Marine Operations
- Corporate / Senior Management
- Employment type
- Full Time
- Senior Management / Corporate Officer
- Minimum of 7-10 years of experience working within the marine and passenger vessel industry.
- 3 years as Captain, with excellent safety record
- 1 year as Port Captain, Senior Captain or Manager of Marine Operations
- 100 Ton Masters License required (Near Coastal Preferred, Inland acceptable)
- College Degree preferred, but not required
- Ability to clearly and concisely present technical subjects• Strong business & financial acumen, negotiating and cost control skills
- Proven experience with contract & vendor negotiation
- Proven efficiency with Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, Word and Outlook)
- Flexibility to work extended hours or weekends as needed.
Director of Marine Operations
The Director of Marine Operations (DMO) is responsible for managing the day to day operations of the Marine Department. This includes but is not limited to repair, maintenance, and preventive maintenance of the fleet (currently 4 vessels), docks and barges; safety and compliance regarding vessels, crew and passengers; security; planning, budgeting and execution of dry-dock as well as large capital projects i.e. renovations, re-powers, etc.; and planning and execution of logistics pertaining to vessel charters, customer service and relocations.
The DMO reports to the Owner/President. The DMO’s direct reports are the Vessel Captains, Head Engineer and Dock Manager. The DMO sits on the Executive Committee of the company.
- Manages all aspects of the Marine Department, including vessels and vessel crew, engineering department and dock department
- Ensures all vessels are in compliance with all Coast Guard Regulations and ensures the COI is maintained at all times, maintains the preventative maintenance and record keeping, including up to date logs via vessel captains/engineering department.
- Develops project plans to determine time frame, budget, procedures for accomplishing, staffing requirements, and any other resources to ensure successful completion of the project
- Develops Dry-dock plans and specifications communicating with Captains, vendors and President
- Conducts weekly walk through of vessels to assess maintenance needs, forecasting new projects and maintenance needs as well as management of ongoing projects
- Works closely with President to ensure projects meet expectations and budget
- Ensure that required periodic inspections of safety/security procedures, lifesaving equipment and systems are completed on time and logged.
- Ensure that all machinery and equipment in good working order.
- Interview, hire, supervise, train and evaluate, schedule, discipline and counsel marine employees as needed.
- Ensure the accuracy of invoices and deliveries from all pertinent vendors and turn over to accounting department.
- Manage cloud based PM log – WheelHouse Technologies, ensure company provided and manufacturers recommended preventive maintenance program is followed, with particular regard to engines, generators and HVAC system.
- Ensures departmental compliance with all company and government mandated training programs (Yacht Hospitality, Safety System, Security Training, CPR, etc.)
- Monitors departmental labor costs and repair, maintenance, and preventive maintenance costs on a daily basis, to keep within budget. Work closely with other departmental managers to ensure the most efficient, safe and profitable vessel operations.
- Maintain, Update and ensure all company Standard Operating Procedures are followed, creating new SOP’s when needed.
- Maintains positive crew member relations in a supportive environment, encouraging/mentoring crew member growth (i.e. deckhands to Captains)
- Ensures Vessel Captains are fully informed and engaged in daily operating procedures, weekly operations meetings, cruise plans, etc.
- Conducts weekly Captains Meeting, providing minutes to President
- Develop and maintain a long term capital plan as approved by President, i.e. re-powers, paint, remodels, etc.
- Maintain relationship USCG and plan for and run all Coast Guard Inspections with Captains
- Assist President with assessing possible new acquisitions
- Captain cruises as necessary
- Ensure marine department is providing excellent customer service to our guests.
- Apply Instructions
- Please submit your resume to email@example.com. Please visit our website for more company information www.yachtstarship.com