Chief Radio Electronics Technician IAT - Mixed Work Schedule
- Shipboard Officer / Personnel / Crew
The Chief Radio Electronics Technician (CRET) Information Assurance Technician (IAT) is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, in contested or uncontested environments.
The Chief Radio Electronics Technician (CRET) Information Assurance Technician (IAT) is a direct report to the Ship’s Communication Officer (SCO).
The CRET IAT serves as the ship’s System Administrator of assigned systems maintained/administered by the Department of Defense (DoD)/Department of the Navy (DON)/Military Sealift Command (MSC). The incumbent is responsible for providing expert technical advice and guidance on critical digital communications issues to ensure the integration of Command, Control, Communications and Computers (C4) programs and services and to solve integration and interoperability issues.
Maintain the MSC Afloat Computing Environment (CE), and perform vulnerability scans on information systems utilizing tools mandated by DoD and MSC, perform system backups, computer virus scans, and implement security measures when tasked by DoD and MSC. Duties also include the inventory of assets and set up and deletion of e-mail accounts for newly reporting/departing personnel.
Applies Information Assurance Vulnerability Management (IAVM) patches and other patches as mandated by MSC and report IAVM compliance or discrepancy issues to assigned Afloat Support Services. Briefs Master and SCO on critical issues and prevention techniques to preserve the CE connectivity, evaluate the potential Information Assurance (IA) security risk and take appropriate corrective and recovery actions.
Diagnose system failures to isolate source of problems between equipment, system software, and application programs. Assist the SCO in the investigation/reporting of any CE and/or personnel, IA Security violations that require Higher Authority involvement and resolution.
Interacts with technical support personnel and peers to resolve hardware and software problems. Provides technical assistance to personnel involved in system programming, and hardware selection. Perform customer assistance and/or training in response to the mission’s needs and requirements.
Manage files and records on all Computer equipment assigned to the ships Allocated Equipment Listing (AEL) account, to include location, and shipboard personnel assigned responsibility. Create Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) on other devices used to interface with shipboards System/Network and report status, discrepancies and outages to the SCO, Afloat Support Services and Global Service Desk (GSD).
Initiate and track all trouble calls to GSD and periodically review Trouble Call log with Service Desk for accuracy.
May be called upon to assist the SCO in training newly reporting personnel, or personnel, inclusive of mandated IA Training that has expired, or any other incomplete required training. Perform training of personnel assigned to assist in the maintenance of the organizations CE.
May be tasked by the SCO to perform other duties of a Communications/Operational nature outside of the position assigned. Incumbent is required to attend the Electronic Key Management System (EKMS) Course of Instruction and complete MSC EKMS PQS 301 and 302, and maintain overall knowledge of EKMS Policy and procedures both as a Local Element (LE) User and LE Alternate Manager.
Must possess and maintain a Top Secret Security clearance.
Required to ensure system accreditations remain current.
Ensure continuing application and compliance with EEO laws, regulations and policies.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position.
Performs all other duties as assigned.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
- U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven months of expiration date.
- Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
- United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date.
Position Specific Requirements:
- Must have one of the following:
- Must have three (3) years cumulative experience sailing on MSC Vessels as a permanent First Radio Electronics Technician Information Assurance Technician (RET1 (IAT)). OR
- Must have three (3) years cumulative experience sailing on MSC Vessels as a permanent First Radio Electronics Technician (RET1) or temporary Chief Radio Electronics Technician (CRET). Must have experience aboard an AKE, T-AOE or EPF (Expeditionary Fast Transport) assigned as the LAN Admin or LAN Admin assistant. OR
- U.S. Navy or other Military Branch (E6 or above) trained and experienced as an ISM, Computer Network/System Supervisor or equivalent. Civilian equivalent working in a Computer Environment, as a Systems or Networking supervisor. AND
- Current Security Plus Certificate or higher, within last 3 years of announcement from an accredited test facility.
**Note: Security Plus Certification is not required with Merit Promotion package or External application. However, Promotion and/or employment are contingent upon receipt of current Security Plus Certification. Any Security Plus certification from 2016 or earlier will not be accepted.
When submitting an application for employment, you must provide a letter from your Facility Security Officer and or Government Security Official to document Top Secret eligibility. You must have Top Secret eligibility within the last 24 months when hired for this position. **
- Apply Instructions
- How to Apply: All applications for employment with Military Sealift Command must be submitted through https://apply.sealiftcommand.com/