- Shipboard Officer / Personnel / Crew
- Employment type
- Full Time
- Mid Career
The Able Seaman is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-maned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, in contested or uncontested environments.
Able Seaman (M) will work as a watch stander or day worker in the Deck Department. As a watch stander, you will stand wheel, anchor, and gangway watches as directed, maintaining alertness at all times. During a wheel watch, you must maintain a steady course, properly execute all rudder orders and communicate utilizing navigational terms relating to heading and steering. As a day worker, you will perform general maintenance, repair, sanitation and upkeep of material, equipment, and areas in the Deck Department. The incumbent performs maintenance such as chipping, scraping, soundings, priming, painting and/or cleaning of the ship’s hull, decks, superstructure, cargo gear, smoke stack, lifeboats, rescue boats and/or life rafts, and emergency and damage control gear. Responsible for learning the location and use of emergency equipment, lifesaving equipment, damage control equipment, and safety equipment. Able Seaman performs all operations connected with the launching of life saving equipment and makes security inspections of the ships. Also performs other duties within the scope of the position.
Everything in this Position Description is considered to be an essential function of this position. Performs other duties as assigned.
REQUIREMENTSMust be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain a valid:
Minimum Eligibility Requirements: Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain:
Must possess and maintain:
1. U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven (7) months remaining of expiration date.
2. Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expirations date.
3. United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential(MMC), with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration date with the following endorsement(s):
- Any Unlicensed Rating in the Deck Department
- Able Seaman Unlimited and Rating Forming Part of Navigational Watch (RFPNW).
STCW Able Seafarer – Deck
4. USCG Medical Certificate w/o limitations.
- Apply Instructions
How to Apply: All applications for employment with Military Sealift Command must be submitted through www.sealiftcommand.com/start-the-process.
To begin the process you must submit an Information Request Form (IRF).
Your IRF submission will create a secure online profile after which you will receive an email to verify your account. Once verified, you will be able to complete the application process. Applications for this position can only be submitted during the announcement open period (Eastern Standard Time). Please note the email address you create will be used by the Command to correspond with you.
In addition to meeting the minimum conditions of employment, you will be required to scan and upload .jpg or .pdf files of the following documents:
1. Complete copy of United States Coast Guard Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), United States Coast Guard license, and/or STCW certificate, and U.S. Passport.
2. Relevant professional certificates as applicable for this position i.e. American Culinary Federation (ACF), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Universal, Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS), Security Plus, etc.
3. If you are a current or former federal government employee, a copy of your most recent Notice of Personnel Action (SF-50).
4. If you served in the U.S. military service, you must provide a copy of your Certificate of Discharge (DD-214) that shows the type of discharge you received. This information is located under the “Character of Service” block of your DD-214. If you are claiming 10 points or higher veteran’s preference you must provide supporting documentation such as a completed Application for Preference (SF-15) www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf. Additional information on veteran’s preference is available at http://www.fedshirevets.gov/. You will also be required to provide a copy of the VA Rating Decisions upon accepting the tentative offer of employment.
5. Last five (5) years of performance evaluations (if available) and training certificates applicable to the position you are applying for.
6. Job related honors, awards, and special accomplishments; for example, military, government or recognized professional organizations related to the maritime field and performance awards.
You will be able to upload and store versions of these documents in your secure online profile. NOTE: It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the documents scanned and uploaded are legible. You have the ability to crop and view each document that is uploaded.
You will not be able to submit an application unless you have uploaded the required documentation as indicated here.
Applicants may be interviewed prior to being selected for employment.
How To Contact Us: If you require technical support, please use the support tab located in the top right corner of the Start the Process page www.sealiftcommand.com/start-the-process. This will generate an email a message for you to submit your issue. Emails will be responded to during business hours M-F 0800 – 1700 CST.
If you have any questions regarding the position or to follow up on an application submitted, please email us at email@example.com or call us at (757) 341-4610 or (757) 341-4611, or our toll-free recruitment hotline at 1-877-562-7672 during the hours of 0700 to 2000 EST.
NOTE: FAILURE TO PROVIDE REQUIRED INFORMATION REQUESTED FOR THIS POSITION WILL ADVERSELY AFFECT YOUR ELIGIBILITY.
Federal job applicants who make a false statement in any part of the application could be turned down for the job, fired after beginning work, or subject to fine, imprisonment (U.S. Code, Title 18, Section 1001), or other disciplinary action.
Employment of Federal Civilian Annuitants: Selection of CIVMAR annuitants for MSC positions must be approved by the Director for Civilian Human Resources. Annuitants serve at the will of the appointing officer.
Benefits Information: In accordance with section 9902(h) of title 5, United States Code, annuitants reemployed in the Department of Defense shall receive full annuity and salary upon appointment. They shall not be eligible for retirement contributions, participation in the Thrift Savings Plan, or a supplemental or re-determined annuity for the reemployed period. Discontinued service retirement annuitants (i.e., retired under section 8336(d)(1) or 8414(b)(1)(A) of title 5, United Stated Code) appointed to the Department of Defense may elect to be subject to retirement provisions of the new appointment as appropriate. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives.)
Annuitants are not eligible for recruitment and retention incentives.
YOU MAY NOT BE HIRED IF YOU FAIL TO REPORT:
1. Previous security clearance issues (intents to deny or the revocation of security clearances).
3. Previous felony convictions where actual time was served in jail for more than one (1) year.
Any questions relative to this issue should be directed to the CIVMAR Support Center at 866-562-7672.
MILITARY SEALIFT COMMAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
All applicants meeting minimum qualifications will receive consideration without regard to age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, lawful political affiliation, non-disqualifying disability, marital status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or other personal condition unrelated to the applicant’s basic ability to perform satisfactorily. Please visit www.msc.navy.mil/civmar/eeo.htm for more information. Determinations of whether an accommodation is appropriate shall be made by the agency as soon practicable, after the initial application process and shall be made with regard to all applicable statutes and regulations. If assistance is required to complete the application process, interested applicants should call our CIVMAR Support Center at the above number and refer to the “How to Apply” section of this announcement.