Naval Architect / Project Engineer
- Engineer / Naval Architect
Matawan, NJ 07747 732.977.5205
Regulation-Focused Naval Architect
Achieve Organizational Goals by Improving Safety & Maintaining Regulation & Standard Compliance
Engineering professional ensuring compliance by applying broad technical experience and knowledge of marine vessel and offshore unit regulations and standards. Provide detailed technical advice on international regulations for consistent application.
Collaborative, customer-focused contributor known for timely, clear, concise, and accurate responses to wide range of topics.
Areas of Expertise Include:
- Safety Regulation Application
- Marine Standards Development
- Regulatory Compliance Training
- National & International Requirements
- Policy Interpretation
- Marine Pollution Prevention (MARPOL)
AMERICAN BUREAU OF SHIPPING (ABS), New York, NY
Manager, Regulatory Affairs 2015to 2017
Functioned as key department member / subject matter expert on international regulations for ship safety and pollution prevention (SOLAS, MARPOL, Load Line, and Ballast Water Management). Companywide contact point for international ship registries and industry standards organizations.
- Cooperated in development and updating of numerous safety regulations, including those associated with life-saving appliances, mobile offshore drilling units, and survey / certification, supporting promotion of security of life and property and preserving natural environment.
- Improved client relations by developing and nurturing relationships with largest international ship registries (Liberia, Marshall Islands, and Panama).
- Provided timely advice to ABS members of IACS Safety and other technical panels, supporting ABS position development on IMO requirements and interpretations.
Senior Principal Engineer, Regulatory Affairs 2010 to 2014
Prepared interpretation to international regulation, developed and delivered department-specific training, and fulfilled responsibilities of previous position.
- Developed and implemented ship-specific and general policy interpretations, ensuring correct regulatory compliance with various international statutory instruments.
- Trained and integrated 3 new staff members into Regulatory Affairs Department, coordinating activities with ABS Europe’s Regulatory Affairs staff member.
- Eliminated department traveling expenses by re-formulating training material for webinar-based approach in collaboration with Learning Organization team.
Principal Engineer, Regulatory Affairs 1998 to 2010
Communicated with international ship registries on routine matters and compliance policy. Documented engineering and surveying instructions and forms. Developed training materials and presentations.
- Reduced response time by processing ship-specific requests in a timely manner and establishing generic email templates.
- Developed and implemented ship-specific interpretations, ensuring regulatory compliance with various international statutory instruments.
- Initiated new and revised existing companywide process instructions, increasing consist application of international regulations by engineering and surveying staff.
- Maintained international survey and certificate-issuance standard compliance by initiating and coordinating survey checklist and certificate development for ABS survey and certificate-issuance system.
- Increased international regulation knowledge and improved job performance by partnering with department and Learning Organization teams in developing detailed training material and conducting training for all staff, including, marine surveyors, engineers, and management.
- Served as IACS liaison to International Standards Organization (ISO) Fire-firefighting Equipment and Life Saving Appliances subcommittee, providing timely advice to leadership on subcommittees’ activities.
Previous Positions Held Include:
Principal Engineer, Senior Engineer, and Engineer, Load Line and Stability Group
Business Analyst, Business Planning and Analysis Group
Project Coordinator, ABS SAFEHULL Project
- Master of Science (MS), Transportation Management, SUNY Maritime College, Bronx, NY
- Bachelor of Engineering (BEng), Naval Architecture, SUNY Maritime College, Bronx, NY
□ US Coast Guard Third Assistant Engineer’s License, Steam, and Motor Unlimited Horsepower (not maintained)