Ship's Doctor or Physician Assistant for the Summer Sea Term 2017
Ship's Doctor or Physician Assistant for the Summer Sea Term 2017
About SUNY Maritime College: SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
Job Description: EMPIRE STATE is a public vessel of the United States, solely operated for the training and licensure of the cadet midshipmen. While onboard the cadets are engaged in classroom lecture, maintenance and repair, watch keeping, and drills and training exercises all in preparation for their eventual licensure. Of the 575 cadets onboard, there will be approximately 20% that are also in ROTC, and preparing for commissioning in the Armed Services following graduation and licensure.
In past years, and based on the anticipated number of cadets for this summer, we will be looking to hire either a licensed Doctor or PA for the entire training period, or for each half (approximately 52 days per half). Please note that the entire cadet compliment switch out half way through on a chartered flight that will also be provided to the Medical Staff onboard.
Description of Duties:
- Medical staff onboard perform the vital duties expected of the Medical Department onboard any Merchant or Navy ship
- Attending to sick call twice daily (in port and underway);
- Provide instruction in Medical Care Provider and CPR/AED;
- Daily supervision of Ship's Medical and cadet corpsmen
- Daily sanitary inspections of berthing, common areas, and food service areas with the Ship's Master - both underway and while in Port;
- Attendance with any incidents or injuries;
- Required alcohol and/or drug testing;
- Participation on the Ship's Safety Committee.
The FULL Cruise appointment will begin May 1, 2017 and end August 11, 2017.
However, you may apply and be considered for one of the following.
- Cruise A (May 1, 2017 to June 22, 2017)
- Cruise B (June 22, 2017 to August 11, 2017)
- Full Cruise (May 1, 2017 to August 11, 2017)
Please indicate clearly in your cover letter and/or via email which cruise term you are interested in (A/B/FULL)
- Possess and maintain a valid license and certification to practice as a Medical Doctor or Physician Assistant
- Must possess and maintain a valid DEA number and certificate to transmit specific controlled substances
- ACLS (Advanced Cardiac Life Support)
- The incumbent will be required to obtain Coast Guard certification (Certificate of Registry) as a Medical Officer with the help of the college.
- US Passport
- Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) - Note: All applicants must have an MMC
- Valid Medical Certificate - Note: The Medical Certificate is issued with the original MMC; however it must be renewed every 2-years.
- DOT/USCG Periodic Drug Testing Documentation
- Letter from employer indicating that you have been in a random testing program meeting the criteria of 46 CFR 16.230 for at least 60 days (from May 1, 2017) during the previous 185 days, and have not failed nor refused to participate in a chemical test for dangerous drugs.
- Passed a chemical test for dangerous drugs, required under Title 46 CFR 16.210 within the previous 185 days (from May 1, 2017)
A COPY OF ALL REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION MUST BE PROVIDED PRIOR TO THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF APPOINTMENT. IF THE REQUIRED DOCUMENTATION IS NOT PROVIDED BY THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF APPOINTMENT YOUR APPLICATION CAN NO LONGER BE CONSIDERED FOR EMPLOYMENT. ALL DATES FOR US PASSPORT, TWIC, MMC AND MEDICAL CERTIFICATE MUST BE VALID FOR THE ENTIRETY OF YOUR ANTICIPATED APPOINTMENT.
- Previous Emergency Medicine, Urgent Care or Family Medicine experience
Incumbent will be required to pay out of pocket expenses for obtaining necessary government paperwork and clearance for position
Compensation: Salary based on a daily rate of pay. Housing and all meals are included while aboard the EMPIRE STATE VI Training Ship.
Special Notes: The FULL Cruise appointment will begin May 1, 2017 and end August 11, 2017. However, you may apply and be considered for the following:
- Cruise A (anticipated May 1, 2017 - June 22, 2017)
- Cruise B (anticipated June 22, 2017 - August 11, 2017)
- Full cruise (anticipated May 1, 2017 - August 11, 2017)
This is a temporary appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Travel and interviews expenses will not be reimbursed.
Budget Title: Technical Specialist (CSL)
Salary Grade: NSSLFor those desiring additional information please contact:Ms. Joann Sprague, Office Manager
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For our full non-discrimination statement, see: http://www.sunymaritime.edu/page/affirmative-action/
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application Instructions: Persons interested in the above position should indicate which cruise period [Cruise A, Cruise B, or Full Cruise] option they prefer. When applying online, please submit the following:
- Cover letter including cruise option (Cruise A, Cruise B or Full Cruise)
- Three recent references
Returning Applicants - Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.
- Apply Instructions