Ship Communications Officer (IAM)
- Information Technology
- $86,384 + Bonus
- Employment type
- Full Time
- Mid Career
Announcement # 19-202-01EXOC Title, Series, Grade, (Code):
Ship Communications Officer (IAM) WM – 9908-28 (202)
Base Salary: $86,384 Per annum A $43,192.00 recruitment incentive is authorized for eligible selectees. Actual amount is calculated as 25% of base pay. Incentive is paid as a lump sum at the beginning of employment with the Command, and requires a 2-year service agreement. CIVMAR (VEOA) candidates and Annuitants selected for employment as Ship Communications Officer (IAM) are not eligible for recruitment incentives.
Opening Date: October 1, 2018 Closing Date: Open continuously with periodic cut-offs
Location: Military Sealift Command (MSC) Vessels Worldwide
Who May Apply: All United States citizens and current Military Sealift Command Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) eligible to apply under the Veterans Employment Opportunities Act (VEOA).
Active Duty Service Members (ADSMs) must submit a certification (i.e., statement of service) at the time of application which certifies that the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date the certification is submitted.
Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
Duties: The Ship Communications Officer (SCO) Information Assurance Manager (IAM) is a Civil Service Mariner (CIVMAR) employed by the Navy to serve the Military Sealift Command (MSC) onboard naval auxiliaries and hybrid-manned warships worldwide, in peace and war. MSC exists to support the joint warfighter across the full spectrum of military operations. MSC provides on-time logistics, strategic sealift, as well as specialized missions anywhere in the world, in contested or uncontested environments. The Ship Communications Officer (SCO) Information Assurance Manager (IAM) is the head of the Communications Department and is responsible to the Master for all operational, administrative and maintenance functions of the
Communications Department. This position is classified as Cyber IT Network Services (Master) in accordance with SECNAV Manual 5239.2 Cyberspace Information Technology and
Cybersecurity Workforce Management and Qualifications. Incumbent will manage the Command, Control, Communications, Computer, and (C4) systems.
Assigned as the ship’s Electronic Key Management System (EKMS) Local Element (LE) Manager, is responsible for all centralized distribution and accounting system designed to provide appropriate safeguards for sensitive cryptographic publications, messages, documents, keying material, equipment and related devices. The SCO IAM is responsible for receiving, destroying and maintaining accountability of all (CMS) Communications Security Material System material allocated to the command’s Local Element Account. Immediately notify the Master of any EKMS discrepancies. The SCO IAM is responsible for emergency destruction of cryptographic equipment, keying material, documents and all other sensitive material in the Emergency Action Plan (EAP).
Responsible for ensuring all cybersecurity actions promulgated by proper authority are acknowledge and completed in a timely manner. Responsible for ensuring security scans are conducted and results reported in accordance with current instructions. Responsible for maintaining all SAAR-N (System Authorization Access Request-Navy) forms for crewmembers requiring access to information systems. Reviews security clearances and provides training to those individuals cleared to operate IT systems, and ensure personnel remain compliant with applicable instructions and directives. Responsible for reporting all potential cybersecurity incidents.
The SCO IAM ensures data base files such as General MessageFiles (GMF), Communications Information Bulletins (CIB), and Communications Information Advisories (CIA) as outlined in NTP-4 (series) are properly maintained and updated.
Ensures personnel in the Communications and IT Department are properly supervised, trained and instructed to efficiently and accurately process Naval message traffic and operate equipment within the Communications and IT Department’s area of responsibility. Schedules training assist visits, conduct drills, exercises, and other on the job training in order to establish and maintain personnel proficiency.
Ensures the ship maintains the communications guard while underway. Consults with the Master prior to making any arrangement to shift the guard at least 24 hours in advance of any proposed shift. Drafts and transmits a Termination Request and Guard shift message in compliance with current instructions and policies; Reports to the Master the successful completion or any difficulty encountered.
Responsible for drafting instructions and implementing plans for contingency communications. In addition, responsible for drafting and implementing the EAP to include destruction and safeguarding of crypto, cryptographic equipment, classified documents and other sensitive material. Schedules and conducts drills frequently to ensure plans can be carried out as envisioned and maintain proficiency of personnel.
Will be designated as the Command Security Manager and Top Secret Control Officer. Incumbent must be thoroughly familiar with the contents of, and ensure compliance with,
current policies and instructions. Ensures personnel granted access to spaces containing classified material are controlled by an access list signed by the Master for
ship’s personnel or embarked staff requiring access to classified material or access to a classified network, and not on the access list. Verifies security clearances and provides information to the Master for approval. Develops and maintains appropriate procedures to ensure compliance with the access list and access to the spaces are strictly adhered to. This does not include shipboard physical security in general or any cargo ammunition, magazines specifically. Develops and maintain a list signed by the
Master granting message releasing authority where applicable.
As part of the ship’s physical security program the Communications and IT Department assists the Master,
Command Duty Officer (CDO) and Watch Officer (as applicable) in preparing and transmitting Special Incident Reporting Messages (UNITREP, SITREP, OPREP 3). The SCO IAM
conducts regular training for the Communications and IT Department and other officers regarding procedures and preparation of Special Incident Reporting Messages. Responsible for ensuring an aggressive safety program is established and maintained in the Communications and IT Department in compliance with current policies and instructions.
Responsible for all tests, inspections, and routine maintenance of equipment within the Communications and IT Departments area of responsibility as required by policy, instruction, directive, or competent authority.
In coordination with the Supply Officer and Supply Department, initiates and administers Communications and IT Department supply functions, custody records, and reports
Maintain and manage the Radio Electronics Technician (RET) watch bill, assigning RET personnel to watch sections based on their demonstrated knowledge and training, and will ensure the Communications and IT Department watch stations are manned by qualified personnel at all times.
Responsible for the judicious and efficient use of straight time, premium pay, and overtime. Incumbent will recommend the expenditure of premium pay and overtime. Incumbent will
recommend the expenditure of premium pay and overtime on a case-by-case basis as appropriate to the circumstances, ensuring compliance with the budgetary guidelines set forth by the Master. Incumbent will submit accurate and timely premium pay and overtime records to the Purser at the end of each payroll.
Responsible for assigning a departmental berthing arrangement plan by the Chief Mate.
Develop ship specific Duty Statements for personnel under their supervision. They will include, but are not limited to, routine duties and responsibilities as well as emergency duties for the billet concerned. Ensure evaluations for Communications and IT Department personnel are submitted to the Master as required for review.
Generates written recommendations to the Master for awards or other recognition of service as appropriate for
Communications and IT Department personnel.
Immediately upon reporting aboard, the SCO IAM will familiarize him/her self with emergency stations and duties.
Will be designated as the Information System Administrator (ISA). Designated EKMS Local Element Custodian (Tier III). May be required to operate GMDSS equipment.
Ensures continuing application of, and compliance with, EEO laws, regulations, and policies. Everything in this position description is considered essential functions of this position.
Performs all other duties as assigned. Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
Must be a United States citizen of at least 18 years of age and possess and maintain a valid:
1. U.S. Passport with a minimum of seven (7) months remaining of expiration date.
2. Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC) and/or Department of Defense (DOD) Common Access Card (CAC) ten (10) months remaining of expiration date.
3. United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), with a minimum of ten (10) months remaining of expiration.
4. Documented experience managing a communications department in a shipboard environment as military (E7 or above) with experience as an ISM, or civilian equivalent working in a computer environment, as Systems or Networking supervisor. OR
5. Must have three (3) years cumulative experience sailing on MSC vessels as a permanent Ship Communications Officer (SCO), Chief Radio Electronics Technician (CRET) or temporary Ship Communications Officer (SC). Experience as the shipboard SCO/CRET LAN Administrator aboard at least two (2) AKE or EPF class vessels highly recommended. And,
6. Current Security Plus Certificate within last 3 years of announcement from an accredited test facility.
NOTE: When submitting an application for employment, you must provide a letter from your Facility Security Officer and or Government Security Official to document Top Secret eligibility. You must have Top Secret eligibility within the last 24 months; or current active Secret clearance, or confidential security clearance eligibility, when hired for this position.
Applicants who meet the Minimum Eligibility Requirements described above will be further evaluated. Documented knowledge, skills, and abilities, education, training, and awards contained in the application package and resume will be reviewed and rated to determine the degree to which applicants possess the required knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below that are essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of the position for which applicants are being considered.
1. Detailed knowledge of shipboard communications procedures, equipment operational capabilities and limitations, Department’s maintenance program and personnel training requirement(s).
2. Ability to analyze, perform and instruct personnel in the review of Information Assurance Vulnerability Alert (IAVA) and Scan reports. Knowledge to determine causes of system faults and system errors and provide solutions for recovery of the Network.
3. Thorough knowledge of Policy and instructions mandated by DOD, NETWARCOM and CYBERFORCE Commands in the operations of the onboard Network.
4. Ability to effectively manage, organize, direct, coordinate and lead others in meeting their goals and the MSC mission doctorate.
5. Thorough knowledge in managing the command EKMS account and assets IAW current Policies and Procedures, and managing the C4 requirements as fitted to Naval Fleet Auxiliary Force (NFAF) ships.
Related MSC, military, and/or commercial experience,
etc., will also be part of the rating process.
1. CIVMAR positions are subject to drug urinalysis testing.
2. Able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance with Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) eligibility and assignment to a sensitive position.
3. Able to successfully pass the physical examinations (arranged by MSC) and maintain MSC medical requirements. Participate in vaccine immunization; including a tuberculosis (TB) screening test is also required. TB screening is not provided at the MSC-arranged medical examination, but can usually be obtained from your personal 7 medical provider or free at any local public health clinic. If you have previously had a positive TB skin test (i.e. a CONVERTER or REACTOR), another skin test is not required. You must instead provide the medical department written proof that you have completed treatment with medicine (i.e. INH), or that you have started treatment with medicine, or that such treatment is not warranted as determined by competent medical authority.
5. Attend and successfully complete all mandatory training courses, including personal survival, which requires the ability to float in the water for a minimum of sixty (60) seconds.
6. Be ready, willing, and able to physically perform the duties of this position worldwide at all times.
7. Be ready, willing, and able to work in a shipboard environment and wear protective equipment worldwide at all times.
8. Entry-level positions require candidates to pass an English language competency test.
9. Participate in direct deposit/electronic funds transfer as the standard method of payroll payments.
10. Capable of speaking, understanding, reading and writing the English language.
a. The tentative offer of employment will be rescinded if the selectee fails to report to any of the scheduled appointments, fails the physical examination, fails the language competency test, fails the drug test, fails to disclose employment information, fails to report to new employee orientation, or is unable to obtain a security clearance.
b. On a case-by-case basis, an applicant who accepts a tentative offer of employment will be required to provide a VA Rating Decisions and/or Office of Worker’s Compensation Program (OWCP) Scheduled Awards.
- Apply Instructions
How to Apply: All applications for employment with Military Sealift Command must be submitted through www.sealiftcommand.com/start-the-process.
To begin the process you must submit an Information Request Form (IRF).
Your IRF submission will create a secure online profile after which you will receive an email to verify your account.
Once verified, you will be able to complete the application process.
Applications for this position can only be submitted during the announcement open period (Eastern Standard Time).
Please note the email address you create will be used by the Command to correspond with you.
In addition to meeting the minimum conditions of 8 employment, you will be required to scan and upload .jpg or .pdf files of the following documents:
1. Front and back of United States Coast Guard Merchant Mariner’s Credential (MMC), Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), United States Coast Guard license, and/or STCW certificate, and U.S. Passport.
2. Relevant professional certificates as applicable for this position i.e. American Culinary Federation (ACF), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Universal, Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS), Security Plus, etc.
3. If you are a current or former federal government employee, a copy of your most recent Notice of Personnel Action (SF-50).
4. If you served in the U.S. military service, you must provide a copy of your Certificate of Discharge (DD-214) that shows the type of discharge you received. This information is located under the “Character of Service” block of your DD-214.
If you are claiming 10 points or higher veteran’s preference you must provide supporting documentation such as a completed Application for Preference (SF-15) www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/SF15.pdf.
Additional information on veteran’s preference is available at http://www.fedshirevets.gov/. You will also be required to provide a copy of the VA Rating Decisions upon accepting the tentative offer of employment.
5. Last five (5) years of performance evaluations (if available) and training certificates applicable to the position you are applying for.
6. Job related honors, awards, and special accomplishments; for example, military, government or recognized professional organizations related to the maritime field and performance awards.
You will be able to upload and store versions of these documents in your secure online profile. NOTE: It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that the documents scanned and uploaded are legible. You have the ability to crop and view each document that is uploaded.
You will not be able to submit an application unless you have uploaded the required documentation as indicated here. Applicants may be interviewed prior to being selected for employment.
How To Contact Us:
If you require technical support, please use the support tab located in the top right corner of the Start the
Process page www.sealiftcommand.com/start-the-process. This will generate an email a message for you to submit your issue.
Emails will be responded to during business hours MF 0800 – 1700 CST.
If you have any questions regarding the position or to follow up on an application submitted,
please email us at 9 email@example.com or call us at (757) 341-4610 or (757) 341-4611, or our toll-free recruitment hotline at 1- 877-562-7672 during the hours of 0700 to 2000 EST.
NOTE: FAILURE TO PROVIDE REQUIRED INFORMATION REQUESTED FOR THIS POSITION WILL ADVERSELY AFFECT YOUR ELIGIBILITY.
Federal job applicants who make a false statement in any part of the application could be turned down for the job,
fired after beginning work, or subject to fine, imprisonment (U.S. Code, Title 18, Section 1001), or other
disciplinary action. Employment of Federal Civilian Annuitants: Selection of CIVMAR annuitants for MSC positions must be approved by the Director for Civilian Human Resources. Annuitants serve at the will of the appointing officer.
Benefits Information: In accordance with section 9902(h) of title 5, United States Code, annuitants reemployed in the Department of Defense shall receive full annuity and salary upon appointment. They shall not be eligible for retirement contributions, participation in the Thrift Savings Plan, or a supplemental or re-determined annuity for the reemployed period. Discontinued service retirement annuitants (i.e.,retired under section 8336(d)(1) or 8414(b)(1)(A) of title 5, United Stated Code) appointed to the Department of
Defense may elect to be subject to retirement provisions of the new appointment as appropriate. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300, at http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives.)
Annuitants are not eligible for recruitment and retention incentives.
YOU MAY NOT BE HIRED IF YOU FAIL TO REPORT:
1. Previous security clearance issues (intents to deny or the revocation of security clearances).
3. Previous felony convictions where actual time was served in jail for more than one (1) year. Any questions relative to this issue should be directed to the CIVMAR Support Center at 866-562-7672.
MILITARY SEALIFT COMMAND IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.
All applicants meeting minimum qualifications will receive consideration without regard to age, sex, race, color, religion, national origin, lawful political affiliation, non-disqualifying disability, marital status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, other personal condition unrelated to the applicant’s basic ability to perform satisfactory.
Please visit http://www.msc.navy.mil/civmar/eeo.htm for
10 more information. The agency provides reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities, where appropriate. Determinations of whether an accommodation is appropriate shall be made by the agency as soon as practicable, after the initial application process and shall be made with regard to all applicable statutes and regulations. If assistance is required to complete the application process, interested applicants should send an email to MSCPOAInbox@navy.mil and/or refer to the “How toApply” section of this announcement.https://sealiftcommand.com/departments/communications/ship-communications-officer-iam/55/?utm_source=MaritimeJobs_medium=JobPosting&utm_term=ShipCommOffIAM&utm_content=BrandAd&utm_campaign=FY19