- Employment type
- Full Time
About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
Job Description:The Relief Captain has ultimate command of the Empire State Training Ship and is responsible for its safe and efficient operation, including: ship's seaworthiness, safety and security conditions, training operations, safe navigation, crew management and ensuring that the vessel complies with all federal, state and international laws and regulations, as well as Maritime Administration (MARAD), State (SUNY), Maritime College, Classification Society (ABS) and Flag State rules and policies. The Relief Captain of the Training Ship is also responsible for facilitating the Colleges' deck and engine shipboard training programs which are managed by the academic departments. The Relief Captain of the Training Ship is also responsible for liaison with the Maritime Administration, and various other federal agencies.
- Perform the duties of the Captain including navigating and piloting the vessel.
- Performs the operation of shipboard and other automated systems. Operate ship's navigation and communication electronics when required.
- Administer vessel's Safety Management System (SMS). Ensure the safety of crew members and passengers by providing safety instruction, conducting drills and monitoring activities, and ensuring all safety systems are operable.
- Responsible for all maintenance of vessel necessary to maintain its operational status.
- Prepare and conduct annual U.S. Coast Guard inspection, and periodic FCC inspections.
- Responsible for vessel security.
- Keep vessel's dock and storage areas neat and organized.
- Identify and recommend vessel and operations improvement opportunities.
- Assist with marketing and public relations ideas and follow through on activities.
- Compliance with all applicable federal, state, SUNY, and Maritime College rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Administers and documents disciplinary actions as needed, including progress reports and written warnings.
- Maintains a fair work environment, free of harassment and championing Maritime College's Core Values.
- Responsible for the professional training and/or mentoring experience of the students onboard the vessel
- Responsible for demonstrating a strong professional presence and diplomatic skills to effectively represent SUNY Maritime College while meeting and hosting dignitaries and visitors in U.S. and foreign ports.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree required
- Recent sailing experience (within 5 years) in the capacity of Master, unlimited tonnage oceans, on a commercial or public vessel.
- Experience in leadership and/or management role required
- Strong supervisory skills to manage a training vessel relating to environmental, labor and all matters pertaining to personnel.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills, and the ability to interact with all levels of crew, staff, students and management.
- Professional presentation, appearance and work ethic.
- Ability to work irregular, extended hours/weeks, including night and weekend duties, as required in a physically challenging outdoor environment
- Ability to work in a student-centered training environment
- Experience and ability to execute and monitor the vessel's Safety Management System (SMS)
- CPR, AED, O2 & 1st Aid certified
- Excellent boat handling skills and conservative judgment required.
- Knowledge of regulatory agencies and their procedures as applicable to ship operations and maritime training.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suites
- Master's Degree preferred
- Prior experience as an educator in the Maritime field preferred
Additional Information:Special Notes: Applicants must have a current (not expired) Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC); U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Credential (MMC) valid for service on United States Flag Vessels as Master of Steam and Motor Vessels of any Gross Tons Oceans; current Radar Observer; and valid Management-Level Standards of Training, Certification and Watch-keeping for Seafarers (STCW) Endorsements, appropriate for employment as Relief Captain on Public Nautical School Ships of unlimited tonnage. Must have a Drug-Free screening certificate (within the past 90-days). Must be able to pass a Pre-employment physical. Must meet the physical requirements as outlined in U.S. Coast Guard NVIC 04-08 (current edition). Must provide proof of a current U.S. Coast Guard physical (within the last12 months). Must possess a current Coast Guard Medical Certificate. Must have physical ability to stand for extended periods with frequent bending and squatting, and be able to move about on a vessel at sea, handling and performing all functions as set forth above. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects. Ascending and descending ladders, stairs, scaffolding, gangways and the like. Review of applications will commence immediately and conclude when position is filled.
Budget Title: Technical Specialist
Local Title: Relief Captain
Line #: 00386
SUNY Maritime College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer, committed to recruiting, supporting and fostering a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. For our full non-discrimination statement, see: http://www.sunymaritime.edu/page/affirmative-action
SUNY Maritime College is committed to maintaining a safe environment for its students, faculty, staff, volunteers and the general public that use our facilities. Therefore, in order to ensure the hiring of employees of the highest integrity and to maintain a safe campus community, SUNY Maritime College will conduct pre-employment background investigations on all individuals for whom employment is to be offered.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor's Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you need a disability related accommodation, please call The Office of Human Resource Services at (718) 409-7303. In accordance with the Title II Crime Awareness and Security Act, a copy of our crime statistics is available upon request by calling (718) 409-7350. It can also be viewed on line by selecting University Police at www.sunymaritime.edu
Application Instructions:Persons interested in the above position should apply online. Please submit:
- Cover letter
- Contact information for three professional references
Returning Applicants - Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.
- Apply Instructions
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/9ycwvzhj54p2wc8b
Bronx, NY, 10465 USA