Marine Operations Manager
- Shoreside Operations
- Employment type
- Full Time
- A Bachelor’s degree and 6 years direct experience in marine management and the operation of a seagoing vessel or its equivalent required.
- Licensed as a ship's officer and seagoing experience preferred.
- Knowledge of seagoing scientific programs with at-sea experience preferred.
- Managerial experience related to research programs and their support highly preferred.
- Marine geology background and UNOLS association a plus.
- Position may require up to 1 month per year at sea with extended out-of-office assignments to contract with shipyards for periods of maintenance and repair.
- Must possess a current US passport and be able to obtain a Transportation Workers Identification Card (TWIC).
Marine Operations Manager, Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory (LDEO) of
The Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory (LDEO) of Columbia University, located in Rockland County, NY, is seeking a Marine Operations Manager to join its Office of Marine Operations (OMO) team.
We are a premier research institute that is located in Palisades, NY, which is close to New York City. For more information about our campus, LDEO’s varied research initiatives and OMO, please visit:
We invite applications for our Marine Operations Manager position to support the OMO’s Director with the following primary responsibilities:
- Oversee and administer shorebased support and at-sea operations of the Research Vessel (R/V) Marcus G. Langseth. The R/V Langseth is a 235’ research vessel that works globally and is owned by the US National Science Foundation (NSF) and is operated by OMO as part of the US academic fleet. This position includes coordination and management of ship’s budget, logistics, and regulatory compliance.
- Directly supervises a Port Engineer, Masters, Chief Engineers and ship’s crew as required.
- Represent OMO with vendors, NSF, and other external organizations as required.
- Apply Instructions
Please visit our online application site at:
for further information about this position and to submit your application.
We only accept online applications.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer --Race/Gender/Disability/Veteran