- Shipboard Officer / Personnel / Crew
- Employment type
- Full Time
- High school graduate preferred. Preference to be given to candidates with 2 years of experience sailing as Junior Engineers.
- U.S. Merchant Mariner’s Document with a designation as Qualified Member of the Engine Department possessing ratings a double rating of Oiler and Electrician or Deck Engineer or possess a single rating as a Junior Engineer.
- Possesses current Health Certificate in MMC, an unexpired U.S. passport, Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), and have completed all the training required by Standards of Training and Certification of Watchkeeper (STCW) to serve as a member of the engineering department.
- Must be physically able to work a minimum of eight hours per day 7 days per week and when required in excess of twelve hours per day.
- Must be prepared to work onboard the ship in foreign waters three to four months continuously, with approximately 90 percent of the time at sea.
- Must be capable of living and working in cramped quarters and in adverse weather causing violent motion of the vessel.
- Must meet visual acuity and hearing standards and minimum physical evaluation guidelines as contained in NVIC 04-08.
- Must be able to climb steep or vertical ladders and enter or exit enclosed compartments through hatches or doors with sills up to 2 feet.
- Must be able to participate in emergency evolutions and launching of rescue boats or life rafts.
The Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University, located in Rockland County, NY, is seeking a Junior Engineerto sail as a crewmember on board the Research Vessel Marcus G. Langseth http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/research/office-of-marine-operations/langseth
We invite applications for our Junior Engineer position to support our Chief Engineer and First Assistant Engineer with the following primary responsibilities:
- Assist in the repair and maintenance of operating equipment and maintain the cleanliness and appearance of the engineering spaces on the research vessels operated by the Office of Marine Operations and is a senior unlicensed crewmember assigned to the engine room.
- Inspect machinery and systems in the engine room and engineering spaces outside of the engine room in accordance with operating instructions.
- Record temperatures and pressures, fill service tanks, check machinery oil and water levels, pump bilge and ballast as directed by Assistant Engineer on watch.
- Identify opportunities to improve operational procedures and formally communicate them to the Chief Engineer, Captain or Engineer on Watch.
- Train for and participate in emergency drills as scheduled.
- Apply Instructions
Please visit our online application site at:
for further information about this position and to submit your application and resume.
We only accept online applications.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer --Race/Gender/Disability/Veteran