Chief Marine Electrician
- Shipboard Officer / Personnel / Crew
- Employment type
- Full Time
- HS Diploma or its equivalent required.
- A minimum of 1-3 years technical school or college in Electrical Engineering or Electronics with a minimum of 5-10 years of experience as a Marine Electrician aboard various types of vessels, required.
- Possess current Merchant Mariner Credentials (MMC) as an Electrician, Health Certificate in MMC, an unexpired U.S. passport, Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC), and have completed all the training required by Standards of Training and Certification of Watchkeeper (STCW) to serve as a member of the engineering department.
- Must be physically able to work a minimum of eight hours per day 7 days per week and at times in excess of twelve hours per day..
- Must be prepared to work onboard the ship in foreign waters three to four months continuously, with approximately 90 percent of the time at sea.
- Must be capable of living and working in cramped quarters, frequently in adverse weather conditions..
- Must meet minimum physical evaluation guidelines for this position as contained in Navigation and Vessel Inspection Circular (NVIC) # 04-08.
- Must be able to climb steep or vertical ladders and enter or exit enclosed compartments through hatches or doors with sills up to 2 feet.
- Must be able to participate in emergency evolutions and launching of rescue boat or life rafts.
The Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory of Columbia University, located in Rockland County, NY, is seeking a Chief Marine Electrician to join our shipboard team on the R/V Marcus G. Langseth http://www.ldeo.columbia.edu/research/office-of-marine-operations/langseth
We invite applications for our Chief Marine Electrician position to support our Chief Engineer and Science Officers with the following primary responsibilities:
- Responsible for the entire electrical system and associated electronics. Must be familiar with the operation and maintenance of a wide range of oceanographic and ship related equipment.
- Responsible for electrical spares, inventory and record keeping for all associated equipment.
- Troubleshoots and does preventive maintenance to all spaces on board the vessel in which electrical equipment exists.
- Apply Instructions
Please visit our online application site at:
for further information about this position and to submit your application and resume.
We only accept online applications.
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer --Race/Gender/Disability/Veteran