- Vessel Operations
- $7163 - $9632/ month DOE
- Employment type
- Full Time
CAPTAIN (Two openings)
Position Summary: We are recruiting tor two captains to join our team. The person in this position will perform as the master of a small ferry vessel, operating the vessel safely, reliably, and in conformance with Kitsap Transit policy. This person will also be responsible for leading emergency operations according to the rules and regulations of the United States Coast Guard.
The person in this position will need to stop vessel and passenger operations & take corrective actions immediately, during unsafe conditions. This position also performs routine inspections of the vessel and its components, checking on all operating and safety equipment and electronics componentry to ensure that the vessel is seaworthy. The person in this position will also inspect operational status of emergency backup controls on a daily basis prior to departing homeport and will inspect and fill engine fluids prior to getting underway, ensuring that the vessel has extra fluids on board at all times.
This position is also responsible for managing the crew. The person in this position will assign and direct the work of the crew and perform periodic performance appraisals. This position will also assist in the training of the crew as well as identify and report any training needs. The person in this position will enforce all company policies regarding performance and procedures and lead by positive example.
This position will also communicate any operational problems or potential problems to engineering. The person in this position will need to submit Vessel Inspection Reports, Passenger Count Sheets and other required paperwork.
This position is also responsible for performing monthly drills as required by the Coast Guard and entering them in the Captain’s logbook.
The position reports to the Marine Services Director.
Salary Range: The range for this position is $7,163 - $9,632 per month, commensurate with experience. With rare exception, initial appointments are usually made at Step 1 ($7,163).
Benefits: Full-time employees receive a generous benefits package including subsidized medical insurance and fully paid dental insurance for employee and dependents, as well as disability insurance and life insurance. This position participates in the Washington State Public Employees’ Retirement Plan with the option of participating in a state administered deferred compensation plan. You will receive a generous general leave accrual and 11 holidays. We also provide you and certain dependents with a free transportation pass on Kitsap Transit.
Hours of Work: Hours of operation for the Marine Services division are tentatively 5:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. Monday thru Friday and 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 midnight on Saturdays. These hours of operation may change depending on the business needs of the agency. As the business needs of the agency change, applicants must be available to work any hours of operation including Saturdays and all holidays. The schedule for this position may vary from week to week and may include Saturday work on a permanent basis.
Kitsap Transit employees who wish to apply must have a satisfactory performance and attendance record. Kitsap Transit Operators with any of the following criteria in the last twelve months are excluded from recruitment opportunities:
- a current Decision Making Leave or higher in the Safety category
- more than two held customer complaints
- more than four unscheduled absences
- more than two late reports
Education and Experience: High school diploma/GED and one year experience as a Master in the Puget Sound on small passenger ferry vessels. The following licenses are required for this position: USCG Certification as a 100 ton Master, FCC Radio Operator License, First Aid and CPR certifications.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Following are some highlights of what is needed to be successful in this position.
- Reinforce procedures for prompt and courteous customer service at all times.
- Perform inspection of vessel crew to ensure adherence to cleanliness, the agency’s uniform policy and ensuring safety preparations are performed.
- Strong analytical, organizational and communications skills.
- Detailed-oriented, able to lead and motivate team.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements: Persons in this position must meet the vision, dexterity, strength, mobility, voice, and hearing standards as set forth in USCG licensing standards (https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/medical/default.asp). Work may be performed in the hours of darkness, outdoors, at sea, and in stressful emergency situations. This position will require lifting heavy objects up to 70 pounds, and requires climbing ladders, and entering through narrow hatches & passageways.
Selection Process: This position is open until filled. Review of application packets will begin immediately.
To Apply: If you decide to apply for this position, please visit our employment link at http://kitsaptransit.appone.com/. Please contact Marianne Rajan in the Human Resources Department at (360) 478-5852 if you have any questions.
Closing Date: Open until filled.
- Selective certification may be used to achieve affirmative action goals.
- Kitsap Transit is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities, and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the hiring process, contact firstname.lastname@example.org at least ten days in advance or 360-479-4348 (TDD).
- If you qualify for the Veterans Scoring Criteria under RCW 41.04.005 and 41.04.010, you must answer all questions regarding Veterans Scoring Criteria Status Declaration in the application and upload a copy of the substantiating document as listed in the application.
- Kitsap Transit is subject to the requirements of the Federal Drug-Free Workplace Act and CFR Part 40 & Part 655, which prohibits the use of marijuana at any time while employed by Kitsap Transit.
KITSAP TRANSIT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
- Apply Instructions
- To Apply: If you decide to apply for this position, please visit our employment link at http://kitsaptransit.appone.com/.