- Engineer / Naval Architect
- Employment type
- Full Time
Classification – Administrator I
Time base – Full-Time
This recruitment will remain open until filled. A review of applications will begin Monday, August 21 and the review period may end at any time thereafter.
ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA STATE UNIVERSITY MARITIME ACADEMY:
Established in 1929, California State University Maritime Academy, a campus of the California State University, is the only degree-granting maritime academy on the West Coast. Situated on the shore of the Carquinez Strait 30 miles northeast of San Francisco, the campus serves a student population of approximately 1060 undergraduates and 50 graduate students. The campus currently offers undergraduate degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Marine Transportation, Global and Maritime Studies, and Business Administration. A master’s degree in Transportation and Engineering Management is offered as well as a number of extended learning programs and courses.
• Help plan and perform Engine work for the maintenance and upkeep of the training ship. Assist First and Chief Engineer in maintaining accurate shipboard work order and maintenance records.
• Assist in administering vessel and equipment familiarization training for marine engineering students and supervising students during coursework under guidance of assigned instructor of record. Assist in planning, and organizing a shipboard marine laboratory facility for the training of marine engineering students.
• Work with and assist First Engineer in the preparation of parts order and repair requirements for the training ship. Work with the Chief Engineer, First Engineer, and engine officers in preparation of MARAD work requests.
• A background check (including a criminal records check) must be satisfactorily completed prior to any candidate being offered a position with the CSU. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the application status of applicants or continued employment of current CSU employees who apply for this position.
• The Assistant Engineer will be required to participate in one of the Academy’s annual training cruises of approximately 60 days as a condition of employment. The incumbent will be required to work a variety of shifts that may include working days, evenings, weekends and/or holidays. The successful candidate will be required to complete a background investigation and pre-employment physical, including a drug test, prior to beginning work. As required by federal regulations, the candidate must be able to obtain a Merchant Mariners Document issued by the United States Coast Guard. In addition, each year the incumbent must pass a pre-cruise physical and drug screening for participation in the training cruise.
• The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
• Third Engineer’s License – Motor unlimited
• STCW – 95 Endorsement
• Thorough knowledge and abilities in the areas of Marine Engineering and vessel maintenance and repair. Specific areas include marine diesel engine maintenance and operations, pump operation and maintenance, marine electrical systems, refrigeration & air conditioning, and experience in operation of marine environmental equipment.
• BS Degree in Marine or Mechanical Engineering or Technology
• Welding and machining experience.
• Knowledge of Shipboard Automation and Control Systems.
SALARY RANGE: Salary budgeted up to $80,000 commensurate with education and experience.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Interested parties must submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application, a cover letter and resume. Apply on-line at http://apptrkr.com/1058506. Based upon a review of applications and accompanying documents, only those persons whose qualifications best match job requirements will be interviewed. Applicants selected for an interview will be notified of interview appointments by telephone or email.
BENEFITS: The California State University Maritime Academy offers a broad range of benefits for qualifying positions including medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurances, retirement (CalPERS), fee waiver, vacation and sick leave.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with a Disability
- Apply Instructions