Operate and maintain marine boilers and mechanical equipment such as steam heaters, motors, and pumps to provide power and utilities such as propulsion, light, heat and power for vessel by performing the following essential functions.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS – the following are essential functions of the job but are not all-inclusive.
• Stand fire room watch during specified periods, observing that required water levels are maintained in boilers within acceptable limits and oil and grease cups are kept full
• Oversee fuel loading and transfers
• Supervise Fireman while reading meters and gauges or automatic recording devices at specified intervals to verify operating conditions
• Record data such as temperature of equipment, hours of operation, fuel consumed, pressure, water levels and boiler load balance
• Adjust manual controls or overrides automatic controls to bring equipment into recommended or prescribed operating ranges; switch to back-up equipment or systems, or to shut down equipment
• Visually inspects equipment at periodic intervals to detect malfunctions or need for repair, adjustment or lubrication
• Repair machinery using hand and/or power tools
• Perform other routine duties
• Perform any duties and tasks as deemed necessary by the 1st Assistant Engineer
• High school diploma or equivalent
• USCG License as a Second Assistant Engineer of Motor Vessels of 4000 HP for American Empress; USCG License as a Second Assistant Engineer with STEAM endorsement either rivers inland or near coastal or 2nd or Chief Mates Ocean for American Queen
• Submit to and pass alcohol and drug tests as including but not limited to pre-employment, random, post-accident testing
• An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted
• Ability to maneuver areas within the vessel including engine room spaces and crew areas.
• Good verbal and written communication with others continuously.
• Process calculations continuously.
• Outside conditions, extreme heat.
• Marine operation subject to varied wake and motion.
• Moderate noise level.