Chief Engineer of the Training Ship EMPIRE STATE
About SUNY Maritime College:
SUNY Maritime College located on a 55-acre scenic waterfront property on the outskirts of New York City on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the East River meets Long Island Sound. The campus blends the best of two worlds: a comfortable college-town feel with the greatest city in the world. An impressive view of the sound extends toward the North Atlantic, yet only a few miles away are Yankee Stadium and midtown Manhattan. SUNY Maritime offers an array of employment opportunities stemming from entry level to professional positions which encourage growth and development among its employees.
Description of Duties:
The appointee to this position is the Chief Engineer of the Training Ship EMPIRE STATE. During the summer training cruise, the Chief Engineer is responsible to the Ship’s Master for the operation and maintenance of the engine department and for all machinery and auxiliary equipment related to the training ship, including but not limited to: electrical, HVAC, refrigeration, water and sewage systems. The Chief Engineer is responsible for the safe operation of the engine department and supervision of all engine department personnel and cadets working onboard EMPIRE STATE, both during the training cruises and while alongside the college pier. The Chief Engineer is responsible, together with the ship’s master, Chief Officer, and MARAD Supervisor to develop a Maintenance and Repair plan which will ensure that all statutory and regulatory inspections, maintenance and surveys are scheduled and completed as required. The Chief Engineer will also coordinate all engineering training onboard with the Engineering license department and the Chair, Engineering Department specifically, and may also teach engineering courses during the academic year and on the training cruise as required.
Typical tasks for which the Chief Engineer will be responsible includes, but are not limited to:
* Monitoring all engine, machinery, and equipment indicators when vessel is underway; log operation of same and report abnormalities to appropriate shipboard staff. Compile and complete annual Cruise Report, and all required logs and reports as appropriate.
* Maintaining all machinery and auxiliary systems including: electrical, HVAC, diesel, refrigeration, water, and sewage systems.
* Maintaining the ship’s spare parts system (NS 5) in support of the Maintenance and Repair Plan.
* Attending the ship during all dry dock and survey periods. Prepare ship for same.
* Coordinating all training activities onboard with both the Engine training department, and with the regiment of cadets, both shore side and during the training cruise.
* Maintaining complete records of engineering department activities, including machine operations.
* Maintaining and repairing engine machinery, electric motors, pumps, winches and other mechanical and electrical equipment, and assist other crew members and cadets with maintenance and repair duties.
* Performing general marine vessel maintenance and repair
* Minimum of Bachelors Degree; Masters preferred
* U.S. Coast Guard unlimited Chief Engineer license with STCW endorsement
* At least 10 years of maritime experience, including at least 3 years as Chief Engineer
* Excellent oral and written communication skills
* Ability to work in a student-oriented training environment
* Prior teaching experience preferred
Special Notes: This is a full time calendar year appointment. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously. This position often requires working a non-traditional schedule in order to accommodate the operational needs of the College.
Application Instructions: Persons interested in the above position should apply online at http://maritime.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=41975. Please submit: Resume, Cover letter and Contact information for three professional references.
Returning Applicants - Login to your SUNY Maritime Careers Account to check your completed application, check/edit your profile or to upload additional documents.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/q9vfyrj