Assistant Damage Control Officer
USA Military Sealift Command (MSC) Vessels Worldwide
$78,533 per Year
JOB OPPORTUNITY ANNOUNCEMENT
Announcement #: 13-124-01EX
Assistant Damage Control Officer WM-9915-29
Base Salary: $78,533 Per annumType ofAppointment:
Excepted Service Career-Conditional
Opening Date: October 15, 2012 ClosingDate
Open continuously withperiodic cut-offs.
Location: Military Sealift Command (MSC) Vessels WorldwideWho May Apply: Open to all qualified United States Citizens who arecurrently not employed with Military Sealift Command(MSC) as civil service mariner (CIVMAR) employees.
Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
Duties: Assistant Damage Control Officers (ADCOs) conducttraining based upon MSC and USCG training requirements,
ship drills, ship inspections and/or casualtyinvestigations for the MSC civil service marineworkforce. ADCOs may be assigned to a MSC trainingcenter, field site, or on an Afloat Training Team. Dutiesinclude, but are not limited to, conducting trainingand/or ship drills based upon MSC and USCG trainingrequirements; conducting ship inspections and casualtyinvestigations; developing/revising training courses,
lesson plans, student/instructor guides, and othertraining material; writing instructional, investigationand/or inspection reports with recommendations; providingtechnical advice on damage control issues; acting assafety observer during field evolutions; and/ormaintaining and repairing school facilities and equipmentas necessary. ADCOs report to a Damage Control Leader.
Candidates selected required to sail 30-45 days on annualbasis during high relief request seasons and missioncontingencies. When assigned to a ship, ADCOs come underthe administrative supervision of the ship’s Master.
Must be a United States Citizen of at least 18 years ofage and possess and maintain a valid:
1. U. S. Passport with a minimum of 7 months remaining
of expiration date,
2. United States Coast Guard (USCG) Merchant Mariner’s
Document (MMD), or Merchant Mariner Credential(MMC), with a minimum of 10 months remaining of
expiration date with the following endorsement(s):
Any Unlicensed Rating in the Deck Department, AbleSeaman Unlimited, or Any Unlicensed Rating in theEngine Department
3. Transportation Worker Identification Credential(TWIC) card with a minimum of 10 months remaining ofexpiration date.
4. Licensing/Certification requirements:
USCG license endorsed as: Second Mate (anygross tons upon oceans) or higher; or SecondAssistant Engineer (Steam, Motor or gasTurbine vessels of any horse power) orhigher;
STCW Certificate that accompanies the USCGLicense.
Applicants with an Engineer’s license mustalso possess a Universal EPA Ozone DepletingSubstances certificate.
Applicants with a Deck license must alsopossess a current Radar Observer Unlimitedendorsement or certificate.
A Federal Communications Commission GMDSS
Radio Operator's License/certificate.
Applicants who meet the Minimum Eligibility Requirementsdescribed above will be further evaluated. Documented
knowledge, skills, and abilities, education, training,
and awards contained in the application package andresume will be reviewed and rated to determine the degree
to which applicants possess the required knowledge,
skills, and abilities listed below that are essential toperform the duties and responsibilities of the positionfor which applicants are being considered.
1. Knowledge of shipboard safety, antiterrorism-forceprotection, lifesaving, firefighting and damage controlequipment, programs, and procedures to conduct trainingand drills.
2. Ability to communicate orally, and in writing todevelop and write technical papers and instructionalmaterials, to represent MSC in conferences, conducttraining, drills, and inspection and investigativereports.
3. Ability to plan, organize and execute trainingevolutions.
4. Ability to analyze, direct and evaluate shipboardoperations and training evolutions.
Although not required for consideration, candidates thathold Tankerman PIC (person in charge)/DL (dangerousliquids), or the appropriate Towing credentials asspecified in 46 CFR 15.805(a)(5), Towing OfficersAssessment Record (TOAR), possess credentials orcertificates demonstrating proficiency with unusual andtechnical shipboard operations systems and programs suchas Dynamic Positioning (DP) Systems, salvage operations,
cable operations, command ship operations, or foreignnaval auxiliary operations shall provide thatinformation.
Related MSC, military, and/or commercial experience,
etc., will also be part of the rating process.
1. CIVMAR positions are subject to drug urinalysistesting.
2. Able to obtain and maintain security clearanceeligibility and assignment to a sensitive position.
3. Able to successfully pass the physical examinations(arranged by MSC) and maintain MSC medical requirements.
Participate in vaccine immunization; including atuberculosis (TB) screening test is also required. TB
screening is not provided at the MSC-arranged medicalexamination, but can usually be obtained from yourpersonal medical provider or free at any local PublicHealth Clinic. If you have previously had a positive TBskin test (i.e. a CONVERTER or REACTOR), another skintest is not required, but you must instead provide theMedical Department written proof that you have completedtreatment with medicine (i.e. INH), or that you havestarted treatment with medicine, or that such treatmentis not warranted as determined by competent medicalauthority.
4. Attend and successfully complete all mandatorytraining courses, including Personal Survival, whichrequires the ability to float in the water for a minimumof 60 seconds.
5. Be ready, willing, and able to physically perform theduty of this position worldwide at all times.
6. Be ready, willing, and able to work in shipboardenvironment conditions, and wear protective equipmentworldwide at all times.
7. Entry-level positions require candidates to pass anEnglish Language Competency Test.
8. Participate in direct deposit/electronic fundstransfer as the standard method of payroll payments.
How to Apply:
9. Capable of speaking, understanding, reading andwriting the English language.
a. The tentative offer of employment will be rescindedif the selectee fails to report to any of the scheduledappointments, fails the physical examination, fails thelanguage competency test, fails drug test, fails todisclose employment information, fails to report to theNew Employee Orientation, or is unable to obtain asecurity clearance.
b. In case by case bases, an applicant who accepts atentative offer of employment will be required to providea VA Rating Decisions and or Office of Worker’sCompensation Program (OWCP) Scheduled Awards.
ALL documents MUST be POSTMARKED by the cut-off orclosing date of this announcement. Only applicationsreceived during the announced timeframe will beconsidered. MSC is not responsible for obtainingdocuments to include in your package.
The following documents are required and are to besubmitted in the following order:
1. A completed, signed and dated Optional Applicationfor Federal Employment (OF-612) to include socialsecurity number, US Citizenship, veterans preference andprevious federal employment. For forms visit
2. A completed, signed and dated Declaration of FederalEmployment (OF-306), including Applicant’s Statement ofSelective Service Registration Status, for forms visithttp://www.sealiftcommand.com. For Selective Service
information, visit www.sss.gov. If you answered yes toQuestions 9 and/or 11; or have current or pendingcriminal charges and/or charges for any violation of law,
court abstracts from the Clerk of Courts are required.
3. A current United States Coast Guard Merchant
Mariner’s Document (MMD), front and back or MerchantMariner Credential (MMC), all pages and front and backcopy of the Transportation Worker IdentificationCredential (TWIC) with a minimum of ten months remainingof expiration date.
4. A front and back copy of your current United StatesCoast Guard license, and/or STCW certificate with a
minimum of ten months remaining of expiration date, ifapplicable.
5. A current U. S. Passport with a minimum of sevenmonths remaining of expiration date.
6. A copy of professional certificates as applicable forthis position.
7. If you are a current federal employee, you mustinclude a copy of your most recent Notice of PersonnelAction (SF-50).
8. If you are a prior federal government employee, youmust include a copy of your separation Notice of
Personnel Action (SF-50).
9. If you served in the U.S. Military Service, you mustprovide a copy of your Certificate of Discharge (DD214)
that shows the type of discharge you received. This
information is located under the “Character of Service”
block of your DD214. If you are claiming 10 points orhigher veteran's preference, you must provide supportingdocumentation such as, a completed Application forPreference (SF-15)
information on Veterans’ Preference is available at
www.opm.gov/veterans. You will also be required toprovide a copy of the VA Rating Decisions upon acceptingthe tentative offer of employment.
10. Resume. All resumes shall be one sided, type writtenin Courier New (12 pitch), and must show sufficientexperience and/or education, knowledge, skills, andabilities to perform the duties of the specific positionfor which applicants are being considered; and shall
include the following information in its order:(Seetemplate):
(a) Full name.
(b) Relevant work experience within the last 5years including paid and non paid public or privatesector work experience related to the job for whichapplying.
(c) Colleges or universities name, city, andstate (with zip code), major(s), type and year of anydegree received (if no degree, show total credits earnedand indicate whether semester or quarter hours).
11. Last 5 years of Performance Evaluations (ifavailable) and training certificates applicable to theposition you are applying to.
12. Job related honors, awards, and specialaccomplishments; for example, Military, Government orrecognized professional organizations related to themaritime field and performance awards. Submit copies.
Failure to submit any required information to show thatyou meet the minimum qualifications as outlined in theJOA will result in the applicant being found ineligible.
Failure to provide a Resume as directed in the JOA willresult in applicant being found ineligible.
All applications and supporting documents will become theproperty of MSC, and will not be returned to theapplicant once submitted. Applicants are encouraged tomake copies of all documentation prior to submission.
How To Contact
Please send completed packages to:
Military Sealift CommandCIVMAR Support Center6353 Center Drive, Building #8, Suite 202Norfolk, VA 23502
If you have any questions, please email us email@example.com or call our toll free
Recruitment hotline at 1-877-JOBS-MSC (1-877-562-7672).
Please also visit our website at
NOTE: FAILURE TO PROVIDE REQUIRED INFORMATION REQUESTED FORTHIS POSITION WILL ADVERSELY AFFECT YOUR ELIGIBILITY.
Federal job applicants who make a false statement in anypart of the application could be turned down for the job,
fired after beginning work, or subject to fine,
imprisonment (U.S. Code, title 18, section 1001), orother disciplinary action.
In accordance with section 9902(h) of title 5, UnitedStates Code, annuitants reemployed in the Department ofDefense shall receive full annuity and salary uponappointment. They shall not be eligible for retirementcontributions, participation in the Thrift Savings Plan,
or a supplemental or re-determined annuity for thereemployment period. Discontinued service retirement
annuitants (i.e. retired under section 8336(d)(1)or8414(b)(1)(A) of title 5, United States Code) appointedto the Department of Defense may elect to be subject to
retirement provisions of the new appointment asappropriate. (See DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 300 atwww.dtic.mil/whs/directives.).”
YOU MAY NOT BE HIRED IF YOU FAIL TO REPORT:
1. Previous Security Clearance Issues (intents to denyor the revocation of security clearances).
3. Previous felony convictions where actual time wasserved in jail for more than one year.
Any questions relative to this issue should be directedto the CIVMAR Support Center at 1-866-562-7672.
All applicants meeting minimum qualifications will
receive consideration without regard to age, sex, race,
color, religion, national origin, lawful politicalIS AN EQUAL
affiliation, non-disqualifying disability, maritalOPPORTUNITY
status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, other personalEMPLOYER.
condition unrelated to the applicant’s basic ability toperform satisfactory. Please visit
http://www.msc.navy.mil/civmar/eeo.htm for more
information. Determinations of whether an accommodation
is appropriate shall be made by the agency as soon aspracticable, after the initial application process andshall be made with regard to all applicable statutes andregulations. If assistance is required to complete theapplication process, interested applicants should callour CIVMAR Support Center at the above number and referto the “How to Apply” section of this announcement.