Job Bulletin E27 – 12/13
Classification: Administrator I
This recruitment will remain open until filled.
ABOUT THE CALIFORNIA MARITIME ACADEMY:
The California Maritime Academy is a specialized campus of the California State University (CSU) system serving a student population of approximately 950. The campus, situated on the shore of the Carquinez Strait 30 miles northeast of San Francisco, currently offers baccalaureate degrees in Mechanical Engineering, Facilities Engineering Technology, Marine Engineering Technology, Marine Transportation, Global and Maritime Studies, and Business Administration. A Master of Science degree in three areas of Transportation and Engineering Management is offered.
• Assist with planning and perform engine repair and maintenance of small craft using standard tools as well as various diagnostic tools and procedures.
• Assists Waterfront Manager with supervising waterfront technical staff and students. Primary contact for waterfront technical staff to troubleshoot and find solutions for maintenance and emergent repair issues.
• Sail as licensed engineer during two (2) month summer training cruise onboard the TS Golden Bear.
• Responsible for small boats spare parts management and logistics coordination, ordering parts and inventory, and implementing/maintaining the NS-5 software used for preventive maintenance scheduling.
• Provide operational support to waterfront resources including boats, dock and the training ship. Includes mooring of large vessels, use of crane, forklifts, etc. Pick up and deliver parts and equipment as needed using pickup truck.
• Diagnose malfunctions, trouble-shoot and repair small craft. Design, modify, and fabricate parts for small craft using engineering drawing skills and various machining and welding techniques.
• Provide floating equipment support; act as deck or engineering support during short day-long cruises.
• Assist with fuel oil transfers to waterfront vessels.
This position may be required to participate in the Academy's annual training cruise of approximately 60 days during the summer. During the training cruise, the candidate will be required to work a variety of shifts that may include working days, evenings, weekends and/or holidays. The successful candidate will be subject to the Academy's random drug testing program, be required to complete a background investigation and pre-employment physical, including a drug test prior to beginning work. As required by Federal regulations, the candidate must be able to obtain a Merchant Mariners Document issued by the US Coast Guard, and a TWIC card issued by the Transportation Safety Administration. In addition, each year the candidate must pass a pre-cruise physical and drug screening for participation in the training cruise.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
• BS Degree in Marine or Mechanical Engineering or Technology or related field. Additional relevant experience may be substituted for equivalent education on a year for year basis.
• Third Assistant Engineers License, Unlimited Horsepower STCW-95 Compliant
• Must possess and maintain a valid California driver’s license and have the ability to drive and operate a pickup truck
• Three or more years of skilled experience in the repair and maintenance of small craft or an equivalent combination of specialized training and experience
• Skilled with diesel engine repair and maintenance
• Skilled with outboard engine repair and maintenance
• Knowledge of 24 and 12 volt DC circuits and outboard gasoline engines
• Ability to locate vendors, order parts, stock and track supplies
• Proficient in MIG, TIG and Stick welding
• Proficient in various machining process
• Ability to maintain preventative maintenance records, machinery history, storerooms stock level and inventory control using specifically designed software such as NS-5
• Welder certified
• Forklift certified
SALARY: Salary commensurate with experience.
* * * * * * * * * * *
APPLICATION PROCESS: Interested parties must submit the Cal Maritime Employment Application, cover letter and current resume. Apply on-line at http://apptrkr.com/319141. Based upon a review of applications and accompanying documents, only those persons whose qualifications best match job requirements will be interviewed. Applicants selected for an interview will be notified of interview appointments by telephone.
BENEFITS: The benefit package includes a broad range of benefits for qualifying positions including medical, dental, vision, retirement (CalPERS), life and disability insurances, fee waiver, vacation and sick leave.
ELIGIBILITY TO WORK: Applicants must provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States within three days of the date of hire.
The California Maritime Academy is committed to a diverse work force
and is an equal opportunity employer.