May Ship Repair Corp. is a well-established ship repair and construction company in New York City with projects ranging from vessel repair, complex dry-dockings to construction of cargo barges and passenger vessels.
The Estimator manages the analysis of bids and completes estimates for assigned projects, creating detailed cost estimates for ship repair and other marine projects.
1. Completes proposals, submittals, estimates and bid summary sheets.
2. Identifies and communicates all special requirements on estimates to owners.
3. Identifies and communicate all bonding/security requirements to owners and controller.
4. Thoroughly reviews all customer specifications, drawings, and technical data.
5. Develops detailed itemized listing of required work tasks based on review of bid request.
6. Produces labor, material, and subcontractor price estimates for all required work.
7. Produces craft hours and subcontractor estimates on projects.
8. Develops long lead and critical material list as required.
9. Prepares estimates for Change Orders on new and existing projects.
10. Develops craft labor budgets for planning and scheduling of project work.
11. Analyzes subcontractor quotes to determine the best choices for sourcing.
12. Compares subcontractor to in-house costs in order to make outsourcing decisions.
13. Works with Project Managers to develop repair or new-build production plans.
14. Conducts turnover meeting for transfer of bid package to Project Managers.
15. Analyzes work sequencing and durations to produce the project production schedule.
16. Utilizes historical cost data in order to develop accurate bid standards.
17. Researches and develops new cost standards for work where no historical data exists.
18. Identifies and resolves ambiguities in specifications or bid packages.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Strong background, skill, knowledge and experience in marine design and engineering and knowledge of materials used in marine construction.
• Excellent communication skills with clients and able to communicate well on technical subjects.
• General knowledge of a wide range of commercial marine vessels.
• Ability to develop detailed specifications, and estimates for marine projects.
• Understanding of U.S. Coast Guard and marine classification society rules and
• Proficiency in Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook and Project is required.
Bachelor Degree in a suitable field with at least 5 years of marine and engineering experience, or an Associate Degree with at least 10 years of experience.
Work is performed in both offices and in customer facilities, shipyards, and vessels. Must be able to access all areas of shipyard and company property including shipyard and shipyard offices, drydocks, and terminals in all types of weather conditions. Use of shipyard safety equipment, such as hard hat and safety glasses is required. Some overtime and on-call status is required and employee may be required to work more than normal 40 hr. week, including weekends. Regular and predictable attendance is required of this position.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit/stand; walk, climb and kneel, use hands or fingers; handle and feel; talk, hear and see with close vision. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Must have the ability to move easily between buildings, ascend/descend stairs and go outdoors in construction sites in all kinds of weather, and be able to climb ladders and over bulwarks for vessel site visits.
Staten Island, New York City, NY
Position is currently open and we are looking for availability immediately, but if qualified candidates are available less than immediately, we encourage you to send resume and information with your availability date and if interested, we will contact you.
No phone calls accepted. No Faxes accepted. All applications by e-mail only. Applicants should send a current resume that shows employment history and training as well as a cover note that gives your availability date and salary history to the following: email@example.com. We will contact qualified candidates.