Commercial Ship Repair Project Manager - 32074
Posted: April 6th | Open Until: June 30th | Location: Nationwide
About Vigor Marine
Vigor Industrial LLC is a thriving West Coast provider of innovative industrial services. Our dynamic operations are united by a focus on quality craftsmanship, respect for each individual, and dedication to the task at hand. Our Company is committed to working in a safe and environmentally-responsible manner. Vigor Marine facilities are currently located in Bremerton, Everett and Tacoma, WA; Portland, OR; and Alameda and San Diego, CA.
Vigor Marine is one of seven companies in the Vigor Industrial family. We are a fast paced, highly successful ship repair company. With West Coast-wide operations, Vigor Marine’s projects range from voyage repair to complex dry-dockings.
A Project Manager for Commercial Ship Repair may be assigned to work out of any location for Vigor Marine, or may need to travel to other Vigor Marine locations as needed. Home office locations will likely be Portland, OR or Seattle, WA.
With full authority and responsibility for project profits and losses, this position manages all aspects of assigned ship repair projects. Projects managed may range from $1 million to $10 million and last from one to 12 weeks or longer. Provides primary customer interface throughout the project. Through project team members, manages the application of labor and materials to achieve timely, better-than-bid results and assure customer satisfaction. In addition to managing ship repair projects, the position also manages aspect of the operations of the regional location. In all aspects of the job, the incumbent displays leadership reflecting the company vision, makes difficult decisions, shows respect for others and acts in the best interest of the company.
(This is not an all inclusive list of the regular job duties. Other responsibilities within the accepted job scope will apply.)
1. Plans, estimates, negotiates, staffs, directs the work, and reconciles final billings on assigned projects. As the top decision maker on the project, resolves any internal issues that arise over the productive, safe management of the project. Leads the post-project review to capture learnings applicable to future projects.
2. Meets or exceeds customers’ realistic expectations for quality, productivity and safety on projects, and manages the customer relationship through any changes in the scope and price of the project to assure continuing customer satisfaction and profitable project closure. Resolves issues on a day-to-day basis with customers, owners, Port authorities, and other interested parties. Represents the company fairly and consistently when interacting with customers.
3. Works closely with the Estimating Department to develop estimates for regional work. Ensures completeness of bid packages are consistent with required deliverables.
4. Interprets specifications, plans project sequencing and coordinates the various phases of the project to prevent delays and avoid rework. Ensures that change order requests and condition found reports (CFRs) are properly written, and approves them before submittal to the customer.
5. Writes timely and accurate documentation of each job and contributes accordingly to final written specifications. Confers with supervision and project management staff, and project inspectors and suppliers of materials, to resolve repair problems and to improve repair methods.
6. Plans, coordinates and directs production activities for assigned projects. Through subordinate supervision, assures appropriate daily project staffing. Audits subordinates’ reports and monitors job progress to ensure that manpower utilization and allocation meets job requirements and bid expectation. Makes appropriate changes as necessary.
7. At time of bid package preparation, works closely with estimating department to solicit proposals from subcontractors and vendors. Evaluates, sets up, and manages subcontracts for support work on awarded projects.
8. Oversees and coordinates the operations of the assigned regional location. Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with vendors, customers, and labor unions. Represents the company in interaction with the regional location lease holder. Interacts effectively with the labor union and local labor sources to assure available labor as needed for projects.
9. Coordinates and assures appropriate purchasing and shipping and receiving processes are used for tools, equipment, and other products needed at the regional location. Arranges for and monitors maintenance and repair of tools, equipment and facility amenities. Manages facility security requirements.
10. Manages overall quality assurance activities including compliance, certifications and qualifications for the regional location and specific assigned projects. Serves as the regional safety officer; leads regular and special safety meetings; monitors worker safety and environmental concerns; conducts safety investigations and resolves problems; maintains detailed documentation of safety and quality assurance activities.
11. Applies full knowledge of applicable labor contracts in working with and assigning employees, investigating complaints, and taking disciplinary action. Researches and responds at the first and second steps of the grievance process, seeking solutions to minimize conflict, focus on the business needs and adhere to contractual agreements.
12. Assesses and documents overall work performance of direct reports by close of project, providing feedback to same. Investigates violations of work place rules and determines disciplinary action using the consulting services of Human Resources. Ensures performance documentation by managers or supervisors of all assigned project personnel. Clearly identifies strengths and weaknesses of project team members and recommends specific development activities.
13. Remains technically competent, ensuring personal skills remain current with changes in the field and consistent with organizational productivity improvement initiatives.
Please apply online at http://vigorindustrial.com/jobs/details/32074