Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
This position is responsible for the following: Other duties may be assigned.
1. Reviews estimates and revisions for completeness and accuracy.
2. Reviews construction documents and understands scope of work to bid.
3. Executes take-offs of documents.
4. Inputs take-offs into computer spreadsheet.
5. Obtains pricing for materials.
6. Obtains bids from subcontractors.
7. Prepares cost analysis in computer by recapitulating material, labor, equipment, subcontractor and overhead costs incurred in the installation of items.
8. Where predetermined standard(s) are not available, makes an estimate.
9. Informs immediate supervisor of any observed inaccuracies or omissions in quoted items or computer database.
10. Tracks actual costs on ongoing jobs.
11. Maintains and fosters good subcontractor relationships with Company’s core values in mind.
12. Assists in writing and “buying out” contracts and is involved in the approval process.
13. Tracks trends in the market pricing and escalation.
14. Researches cost of new items of work or new material.
15. Reviews and evaluates Requests for Estimates.
16. Prepares weekly bid calendar and ensures timely completion of estimates.
17. Creates job folders.
18. Develops and maintains resource information on products, vendors, subcontractors, government requirements, etc.
19. Attends departmental meetings as required.
20. Photocopies documents and plans.
21. Works with Project Management to development job/plan.
22. Attends continuing education meetings.
23. Provides training to junior-level employees.
25. Performs other duties and services to ensure a successful project is delivered and client is satisfied.
26. Maintains excellent attendance and punctuality.
Required Education & Experience:
1. Project management training with 5 years marine project or production experience. Degree in Naval Architecture, Civil, Structural or Mechanical Engineering preferred.
2. 7-10 years of related experience as an Estimator.
3. Or, PMI certification or equivalent.
1. Regular exposure to all weather conditions, especially hot, humid and / or rainy weather, combined with regular work time indoors in environmentally controlled conditions.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Has the ability to schedule projects
2. Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner and gathers and analyzes information skillfully
3. Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations
4. Prioritizes and plans work activities and uses time efficiently
5. Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and monitors own work to ensure quality
6. Adapts to changes in the work environment, manages competing demands and is able to deal with frequent changes, delays or unexpected events
7. Follows instructions, responds to management direction and solicits feedback to improve performance
8. Observes safety and security procedures and uses equipment and materials properly
9. Has the ability to read and interpret documents such as blueprints, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
10. Writes routine reports and correspondence, and speak effectively before groups of customers or employees; adds, subtracts, multiplies and divides in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals and has the ability to compute rate, ratio and percentage and to draw and interpret graphs
11. Applies common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form and deals with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations; and is proficient with estimating software and spreadsheet software and should have knowledge of word processing software, e-mail software and the use of the Internet.