• Instruct and/or assist various professional MT labs and assist MT Department in maintaining the deck labs, both at the Academy and onboard the TS KENNEDY, or other training vessels. Labs include but not limited to: Vessel Familiarization, Basic Seamanship, Advanced Seamanship, Celestial Navigation, GMDSS, Dangerous Liquid Cargoes, Piloting, Tugs & Towing, and Applied Ship I & II aboard the RANGER
• During the summer term, support Marine Department in small boat maintenance, operate the RANGER, and supervise cadets engaged in maintenance aboard the TS KENNEDY
• Participate in Sea Term on an annual basis supporting the Deck Training Coordinator in instruction of labs/classes
• Act as a subject matter expert in assessing cadets for STCW requirements both ashore and afloat where appropriate
• All selected candidates must comply with Massachusetts Maritime Academy military customs, uniforms and ranks as outlined in the current contractual agreement
Qualifications and requirements:
• Current USCG Master 100 Tons license or greater
• Knowledge, skills and experience in safety, seamanship, and small boat operations
• Minimum of five years full time experience in professional service in the maritime industry/field
• Current USCG Unlimited license
• Towing Endorsement
• TOAR Designated Examiner
• Associate or Bachelor degree
• Basic Safety Training qualified under STCW
• Experience working with young people in a teaching environment and ability to create a positive learning environment
• Familiarity with USCG, IMO/STCW mariner training and competency assessment procedures
• Experience as a ship boatswain or similar position responsible for organizing and supervising shipboard maintenance and repairs
• Familiarity with marina and yacht operations
Salary: $45,000 – $50,000. The Academy offers generous benefits and a competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
To apply, please submit a cover letter, a resume, an MMA application, Affirmative Action form, and the contact information of five (5) professional references. These forms are located on the employment quick link on our website: www.maritime.edu. Application materials may be attached and sent electronically to email@example.com. Alternatively, you may send your application materials by USPS to: Human Resources, Massachusetts Maritime Academy, 101 Academy Drive, Buzzards Bay, MA 02532. Finalist must complete a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check.
Application Deadline: May 11, 2012
MMA is an AA/EEO employer. Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.